Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 03:31 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,223,963 times

Advertisements

I cringe every time I hear someone say Jesus is risen. Isn't this grammatically incorrect? Risen is a present perfect form of the verb meaning an action has been completed. This would require the use of the word "has." Otherwise you would say He is RISING. I wouldn't tell my friend that her baby "is risen" from his nap. Likewise, you wouldn't say He IS sung, instead of He has sung, or He is singing.

I mean, who goes around in this day and age, using archaic language such as "wilt thou attend church with me?" It makes the speaker sound disingenuous, like they are not trying to get over the real meaning of what they are trying to say, but are rather just trying to parrot some kind of catch-phrase (which sounds horrible, btw). The message gets lost in the translation........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 07:34 PM

200 posts, read 308,051 times
get over it.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:10 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
The message gets lost in the translation...
Interesting that you used the word translation. Because if all the original writings had been translated correctly, there wouldn't have been quite so many misconceptions handed down to us through the years.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:53 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Interesting that you used the word translation. Because if all the original writings had been translated correctly, there wouldn't have been quite so many misconceptions handed down to us through the years.

lolololol you got that right and Moses would not have had horns...... Or so they thought but we know it was a brightness that eminated from his face, not horns....

Old 04-18-2010, 02:39 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Grammatical errors is the least of the problems that I have with religious claims.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:01 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Jesus is risen...Jesus has risen. If it has to be a debate and bad grammar is involved, let's make a compromise. Jesus done rose. There ya go!

Old 04-18-2010, 06:48 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Jesus is risen...Jesus has risen. If it has to be a debate and bad grammar is involved, let's make a compromise. Jesus done rose. There ya go!
To funny and am from the south so I get to laugh! LOL

Old 04-18-2010, 12:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
That would have been absolutely correct at my great aunt's church.

Can I get a Amen!

Havmercy!

Old 04-18-2010, 12:18 PM

815 posts, read 1,543,639 times
I know that Bible texts translate till now. I always read "have risen" " is risen "

Old 04-18-2010, 12:20 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,100,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
I cringe every time I hear someone say Jesus is risen. Isn't this grammatically incorrect? Risen is a present perfect form of the verb meaning an action has been completed. This would require the use of the word "has." Otherwise you would say He is RISING. I wouldn't tell my friend that her baby "is risen" from his nap. Likewise, you wouldn't say He IS sung, instead of He has sung, or He is singing.

I mean, who goes around in this day and age, using archaic language such as "wilt thou attend church with me?" It makes the speaker sound disingenuous, like they are not trying to get over the real meaning of what they are trying to say, but are rather just trying to parrot some kind of catch-phrase (which sounds horrible, btw). The message gets lost in the translation........
Hmm...."Religion is silly supersition" or Religion has silly superstition?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality