Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:28 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,782,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
historical fact. Really, that's what I heard him say in his sermon yesterday when I accompanied my parents to church for Easter Sunday. Is this the kind of nonsense that pastors tell their congregations?
IF you need to label people's religious beliefs as "nonsense," then you clearly must feel some sort of conviction.

Whether or not you believe in Jesus and His resurrection is irrelevant: they still exist, with or without your disbelief.

Don't put others down in order to make your own belief system (or lack thereof) somehow important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 11:55 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,290,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
If you won't accept eyewitness testimony, what will you accept?
Considering none of the Gospels were likely written by any eye witnesses it's hard to consider it eyewitness testimony.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:58 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,141,542 times
Quote:
Islam is a valid religion. What are you asking here?
I speak of course of the precepts of the religion, not whether or not it exists.

I'm pressed to understand why you would think otherwise.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:04 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,772,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I speak of course of the precepts of the religion, not whether or not it exists.

I'm pressed to understand why you would think otherwise.
I am pressed to understand why you would cite 19 terrorists as an example of Islamic belief.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:37 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,071,729 times
Quote:
I am pressed to understand why you would cite 19 terrorists as an example of Islamic belief.
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth
You are pressed also? He did it because they are an example of a certain type of Islamic belief, a fundamentalist one that says that Allah makes all things legal for his warriors (literally mentions only Muhammad in most translations) taken straight from verses in the Quran.

... And he cited them as an example of being willing to die for your religion, if you believe you will gain paradise when dying for "the cause."

Let's get back on track, the pastors are often ignorant of a lot of things, blocking themselves off from the cold, hard and beautiful and natural truth in their synthetic ivory towers... that is the reason they so often lie for Jesus both accidentally and purposefully, since "human ethics" shouldn't matter to them but only their own desires and rewards in bringing people to Jesus any way they can.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-08-2015 at 01:00 AM..

Old 04-08-2015, 12:48 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,772,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post

Let's get back on track, the pastors are often ignorant of a lot of things, blocking themselves off from the cold, hard and beautiful and natural truth in their synthetic ivory towers... that is the reason they so often "lie for Jesus" both accidentally and purposefully, since "human ethics" shouldn't matter to them but only their own desires and rewards in bringing people to Jesus any way they can.
At least you put "lie for Jesus" in quotes. It means that you don't really believe that these people are lying.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:00 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,071,729 times
Quote:
At least you put "lie for Jesus" in quotes. It means that you don't really believe that these people are lying.
At least,
"lying for Jesus" is such a commonly observed Christian tactic that it has become a quote in my mind (although who first coined the phrase, I am unaware about), I'll fix the post to a more generalizable reading level, since I thought it should be clear that I did believe that a lot of pastors lie in order to proselytize their Christianity (and even psychologically-biasedly to increase Church donations and not pay taxes on the properties that are owned by the churches).

Old 04-08-2015, 03:42 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Lying for Jesus covers a wide range of disinformation from just reciting claims without questioning to making claims wothout substantiation. It alo goes on to dismissing the refutation and repeating the refuted claim later on.

I still don't know whether this is just a form of brainwashed faith -hypnotism or deliberate dishonesty. But I know it happens. In fact pretty much all the time.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:01 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
As an individual who left organized religion (or any religion) nearly 50 years ago I really don't care what a preacher says in regards to his sermon or homily.

Nor should good old DavidRudisha, the OP, except he's church in order to keep the money coming from his parents:

Religion creating severed or phony relationships between Milenials amd their parents

Old 04-08-2015, 05:49 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,700 times
Quote:
That doesn't explain why the disciples while being tortured prior to execution didn't jump up and say 'OK, you are right, Jesus didn't rise from the dead, we just made that up!"
Which of the disciples were actually tortured and executed? And more importantly, what evidence do you have for their fates? I thought that their martyrdom was a later addition to the Jesus mythology rather than a historical fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality