Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 06:47 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Same reason we have Halloween. After enough time the old meanings of our celebrations can get replaced by new ones. I have no idea what the historical significance of Halloween is. Its modern purpose is to dress up like monsters and get candy. The traditions become familiar to us, and we don't want to change them because...they're homey and familiar like a keep sake from a vacation worth sentimental value.
It's based on Samhain (pronounced Saw-wane I think). It's a combination of harvest festivals, and a time where the boundary between this world and the other is weakened. The idea behind costumes is to scare spirits away, but originally, this was alot like the Day of the Dead in Mexico, where late relatives could visit us.

It's perfectly fine that we have relative contentment between Christian and Pagan tradition. If modern Christians understood this a bit better, we wouldn't have crap about witchcraft "noooo burn them."

Today is Sunday. Emperor Constantine declared that "the day of the Son/Sun shall be a day of rest." (I believe it was spoken, and since Constantine was a solar cultist who came to worship Christ, it is unclear which he meant) But this is why Sunday and not the Sabbath is kept by Christians as a holy day.

Constantine and the Sabbath Change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 07:56 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Yes we can, the origins are all from the RCC who invented xianity. That was the whole point I was trying to make. Sure evangelicals think thay have purified the faith by dismissing the RCC doctrines yet they still hold almost everything in common including the Nicean Creed where much of the invention emanates from. Pre ~350CE, the trail goes cold rather rapidly.
RCC didn't invent Christianity.
I agree with you that many of the non RCC churches have kept quite a lot of the RCC theological structures. But Paul prophesied that this would occur:

1 Timothy 4:1-3 Now the spirit is saying explicitly, that in subsequent eras some will be withdrawing from
the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and the teachings of demons, (2) in the hypocrisy of false
expressions, their own conscience having been cauterized;" (3) forbidding to marry, abstaining from foods,
which God creates to be partaken of with thanksgiving by those who believe and realize the truth,

Christianity, true Christianity, was in force several hundred years prior to Constantine making the Christian faith a state sponsored organization.

By the way, today is Sun day. Maybe it should be "SonDay"?

Old 05-03-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Well, that is what we are talking about here. Until evolution is falsified and supplanted by a better theory, it continues to rock along in further confirmations in explaining how diversity occurred over time. So develop a scientific theory to explain it better and the world will be your oyster. Just find the bunny in the Cambrian.

Evolution has been falsified. It is just that you will not believe it until there is a majority consensus. There are still people who believe the earth is flat you know.

So, since Thursday is Thors day, what do you think should be a good name for Sunday?

Old 05-03-2015, 03:29 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Evolution has been falsified.
Then show me that bunny in the Cambrian.

Quote:
It is just that you will not believe it until there is a majority consensus.
No, I go where the evidence leads and I had to look for myself.

Quote:
There are still people who believe the earth is flat you know.
There are people that still believe in a global flood, in spite of the evidence.
Quote:

So, since Thursday is Thors day, what do you think should be a good name for Sunday?

Old 05-03-2015, 07:41 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times
Quote:
Evolution has been falsified. It is just that you will not believe it until there is a majority consensus. There are still people who believe the earth is flat you know.

Sun-day is fine like it is ... it is also TECHNICALLY the first day of the week.
Evolution has NOT been falsified ... everyone with an education knows this.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Then show me that bunny in the Cambrian.
The age of layering has been disproved by real world studies such as the layering after the Mt. St. Helens explosion, not to mention all the studies in laboratories of sedimentary layering.

Quote:
No, I go where the evidence leads and I had to look for myself.
Okay, then I'm sure this evidence will be good enough for you:
Descent of Man Theory: Disproved by Molecular Biology

Quote:
There are people that still believe in a global flood, in spite of the evidence.
There are people that still believe in a global flood because of the evidence.

Oh, today is Monday a.k.a. Moon day. What has the Moon done for you lately? LOL

Old 05-04-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Sun-day is fine like it is ... it is also TECHNICALLY the first day of the week.
Evolution has NOT been falsified ... everyone with an education knows this.
No, Sunday should be renamed because I say so.

Evolution is falsified.

Descent of Man Theory: Disproved by Molecular Biology

Old 05-04-2015, 07:08 AM

18,498 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Whoa, evolution has been falsified? Someone forgot to tell the scientific community, apparently.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:33 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Whoa, evolution has been falsified? Someone forgot to tell the scientific community, apparently.
Under the rules of religion, to make something true, all that is required is believing and declaring it true. It is very efficient, it eliminates all those wasted hours of investigation to determine if it is actually true.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Under the rules of religion, to make something true, all that is required is believing and declaring it true. It is very efficient, it eliminates all those wasted hours of investigation to determine if it is actually true.
Did you not read the link I provided? The web site is not just claiming something to be true but actually proving it so.

So much for naming the days of the week.

Maybe Monday should be called "Evolution Disproved Day" or just EDday for short. Of course, some might take that the wrong way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality