Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 11:16 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willingsniper View Post
I'll bet dad was involved in some way.
How do you know that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 11:17 AM

10,091 posts, read 5,741,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Using this incident for ANYthing other than to help the victims and, since this is a family voluntarily in the public eye, allow them to be part of educating society about the problem if they so desire, is beyond crass and insensitive. As it is, the amount of judgment and hostility being heaped on the family as a whole can do nothing to help those girls. STOP using their pain to promote an agenda. You who do so re-victimize those you say you care about.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I wouldn't be surprised if the family starts getting death threats.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:17 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
No one said it was harmless. I said it was ubiquitous. It happens between siblings often.

You said it was about curiosity and experimentation. That makes it SOUND harmless. It isn't. And that's not what it is about when one of the people involved is unwilling.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:20 AM

779 posts, read 484,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How do you know that?
Did I say I Know that? I said I'll bet.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:20 AM

10,091 posts, read 5,741,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
News Flash-----no one is putting the Duggars in a special class because they are "Christians," they are being exposed for the difference between their talk and their walk. Josh isn't the only thing they keep in the closet. Michelle isn't much into talking about her lesbian sister (nothing wrong about having a lesbian sister except if your preaching hell fire toward homosexuals). Michelle to be the best fundamentalist should take every opportunity on their show to tell her sister she is going to hell (but that might not be good for ratings).

What's wrong is failing to point out hypocrisy posing as "godly." Sweeping it away with, "ah, shucks, them Duggars are human like the rest of us," smacks of some of the worst coverups that go on constantly in our society." Think police covering for their own or Catholic hierarchy willing to come to grips with their pedophile priest problems until media attention forced them to do so.
I guess forgiveness doesn't exist in your brand of Christianity. We happen to believe the a repented sinner can be RENEWED through faith in Jesus Christ. They are only hypocrites if Josh is actually engaging in this activity. He's not. This happened 14 years ago.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:21 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
Incest is ubiquitous in families. Children become curious and experiment.
Well, duh! If it wasn't taking place within a family, it wouldn't be incest.
Children do experiment.(Ignoring the fact that in this case,most of the 'experimenters' weren't old enough to be curious)
Once those experiments become known to the parents, they shouldn't be allowed to continue.....for years.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You said it was about curiosity and experimentation. That makes it SOUND harmless. It isn't. And that's not what it is about when one of the people involved is unwilling.
No. Many things we do out of curiosity are not harmless. I am simply saying it happens often.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:24 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
When a middle-aged man molests a young teenage or pre-teen boy, often the boy feels as if there is no escape. He is completely vulnerable with that priest.

What book would have thrown at the 14 year old boy? He was the oldest child of young parents. Did they handle it the way we all think might have been best? No. But by all accounts, all parties turned out ok.
You're getting this information from where?
The little girls that kept on smiling? The ones that smiled for the camera all through the abuse and since, but were obviously either ignored or told not to complain?
You think those girls weren't vulnerable and helpless when , even after the parents knew, they didn't stop it?
Un-freakin-believable!

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-22-2015 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: fixed quote tag

Old 05-22-2015, 11:24 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
No. Many things we do out of curiosity are not harmless. I am simply saying it happens often.

You seem to want to downplay MOLESTATION by a sibling as simply curiosity. Really?

Old 05-22-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Well, duh! If it wasn't taking place within a family, it wouldn't be incest.
Children do experiment.(Ignoring the fact that in this case,most of the 'experimenters' weren't old enough to be curious)
Once those experiments become known to the parents, they shouldn't be allowed to continue.....for years.
Sexual exploration begins very early. I do think the parents should have intervened once it was discovered. But as often is the case religious families like to sweep things under the rug. Hide the shame. So this is what comes of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality