Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 04:35 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times

Advertisements

I always found it strange EVERYONE else's Creation Myths are just that, myths. But the bible, oh no, the bible is the real true story.

The thing I've never been able to understand is how and why Christianity puts more focus, time and effort on "soul winning" when they could be out doing actual good works.

Yes, obviously there are millions of Christians who are awesome people who do great work for those in need.

However, the focus is on proselytizing first. The point of a mission trip is not to go to Haiti and help out at an orphanage but to bring those Haitians to Christ, to convert them. The good work done on mission trips is not the reason for going. Yes it's great that mission trips helps thousands of truly needy people. But that's not it's true purpose. Which to me, in my opinion is disingenuous and even cruel.

Not to mention threatening a person who doesn't believe in hell with eternal damnation is just ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 04:41 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Except there is zero evidence that the Bible authors just created a work of fiction. And there is plenty of compelling evidence that God is real.

Sorry, but simply saying there is no God doesn't make it a reality.
Which god of the bible? El? Elohim? Yahweh?

That are not the same.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:10 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
IN all seriousness, how old are you?

You are allowed to believe anything you want about the fair-tale god-n-a-tiny-little-box.
Sorry if you think a desire for intellectual honesty = immaturity in your world. BTW, mocking and insulting someone just because you can't stand their opinion is quite indicative of immaturity.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:18 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I'm pretty sure it bursts into rainbow flames shooting rainbow glitter everywhere when you try to bring it into the Church reception hall, or cut into it.
We were lucky then, got married in a church but the reception was in the school gym.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:21 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
We were lucky then, got married in a church but the reception was in the school gym.
Thank, we'll I'm not sure who at this point but once we figure it out, thank them for those ever handy religious loopholes.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:25 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Or you could take the position like I do with UFOs. I am open to the possibility while skeptical vs saying that there is absolutely no UFOS and that is a fact!
Personally, I am open to the possibility that there may yet be some sort of energy or force we have yet to detect and comprehend. If it exists, I suspect it is more a law of physics than a sentient being.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:30 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
The example of the preacher giving a sermon on evolution trumping creation is completely off base.

They were getting paid to do their job. Bake a cake. There's no difference between a gay/lesbian cake and a straight cake.
Well... actually there is. And maybe the bakers didn't want to buy an entire case of 100 'gay' cake toppers for a one off event. Surely there are Gay Owned bakeries and they would have been all over this? Why didn't the couple use one? Did they have an agenda??? There are absolutely black owned bakeries and black couples do not have to go to bakeries that WILL happily take their money and give them a sub-standard product and/or service if they are that way out about it. Happens all the time. I would rather businesses say "we can't do your event", no reason needed, than take a deposit or full payment and then phone it in, because their heart isn't in it. Black people never wanted to make white people do anything beyond allow them to live in peace. Gay people want straight people to validate their choices even if it means going against ingrained beliefs. Given sufficient time we will see religious institutions come under attack for an anti-gay stance. Black people are not getting married in white churches. They don't need to, they don't want to, and that is very different from what we are seeing unfold in the LBGT marriage equality fight.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:33 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
There is ample evidence in the bible itself that it is fiction...From genesis to revelations....I mean come on, talking snakes and donkeys, people popping out of graves, food falling from the sky...One impossible thing after another....I'm amazed that anyone over the age of 8 believes it's not fiction, and really bad fiction at that.

On top of that there is not a shred of evidence that any god exists, or has ever existed....It's just not logical.
It's not logical because your perception of reality is apparently only limited to your physical senses. There are many great mysteries in this life, mysteries that science can not explain at all. Really bad fiction? Why would fiction writers create something like Psalms or Proverbs? Why would they bother to add in countless prophecies that could easily reveal them as fraud? How lucky for them that all the prophecies came true huh? I mean what are the odds that of all the ancient tribes that no longer exist, Israel would be the only one that survived and even became a nation again. Something that rarely ever happens in human history. On top of that, Israel becomes the focal point of the ENTIRE world's politics, again just like the Bible predicted. Bad fiction. psst. More like bad biased rhetoric.

I get it. You hate the Bible with a passion and that fact alone only moves the needle towards the reality that God exists.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:42 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Well... actually there is. And maybe the bakers didn't want to buy an entire case of 100 'gay' cake toppers for a one off event. Surely there are Gay Owned bakeries and they would have been all over this? Why didn't the couple use one? Did they have an agenda??? There are absolutely black owned bakeries and black couples do not have to go to bakeries that WILL happily take their money and give them a sub-standard product and/or service if they are that way out about it. Happens all the time. I would rather businesses say "we can't do your event", no reason needed, than take a deposit or full payment and then phone it in, because their heart isn't in it. Black people never wanted to make white people do anything beyond allow them to live in peace. Gay people want straight people to validate their choices even if it means going against ingrained beliefs. Given sufficient time we will see religious institutions come under attack for an anti-gay stance. Black people are not getting married in white churches. They don't need to, they don't want to, and that is very different from what we are seeing unfold in the LBGT marriage equality fight.
I do not purchase cake toppers.
Their issue was not about cake toppers. The suggestion is about as silly as a plastic cake topper.

There is no such thing as a gay cake or straight cake. I put this idea in the silly pile along with the cake toppers.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Black people are not getting married in white churches. They don't need to, they don't want to, and that is very different from what we are seeing unfold in the LBGT marriage equality fight.
Ummm...... the LGBT community fought for the right, under the Constitution of the United States and the laws of this country, to be married. Just as the black community fought for the right to vote and eat at the lunch counter.

Marriage equality is not about demanding to be married by some unhappy religious conservative who thinks everyone who is gay is going to hell. It's about having the right to a CIVIL marriage.

The LAW says bakeries cannot discriminate. The LAW said the lunch counter owners could not discriminate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality