Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 11:08 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Gotta love Psalms 137:9.

Something about a joyous bunch of fairytale individuals getting all giggly about bashing babies heads against rocks.

Who could come up with crap like that?
Really? That's a bit harsh isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 11:29 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I thought so.

But you should see some of the twists and from apologist have made in the past attempting to justify that practice.

Apparently it was their God endorsed method of expressing frustrations at their enemy, but one would think they would try and do something joyous rather than bashing innocent children's heads in, wouldn't you?

Old 07-09-2015, 12:37 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Psalms 137:9

New International Version
Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.

New Living Translation
Happy is the one who takes your babies and smashes them against the rocks!

New American Standard Bible
How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones Against the rock.

King James Bible
Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

International Standard Version
How blessed will be the one who seizes your young children and pulverizes them against the cliff!

American Standard Version
Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones Against the rock.

Webster's Bible Translation
Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:27 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Seriously, and fundamentalists don't understand why some of us have no respect for the bible, or for that matter their version of God.....

One of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite authors...

Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.
Isaac Asimov

Old 07-09-2015, 01:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The LAW said the lunch counter owners could not discriminate.
But guess what, those that want to, still do. They won't stop you from coming in and taking a seat, but they can, and will, make certain that you understand that your patronage is not welcome, and if you can at all take a hint, never eat there again. I know the truth of this from first hand experience. As I understand it several counties in Mississipi, Texas, Louisiana and Alabama have had Marriage Bureau clerks quit or refuse to issue marriage licenses to anyone, because they are so opposed to the new LAW making Gay marriage legal in all 50 states.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:22 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,373,852 times
You are back to skipping and dodging posts I see. Allow me to decimate another raft of your propaganda then instead.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
But hey, at least you can now celebrate your biogtry against Christians. Go team Satan!
Yay, where all else fails you, try hyperbole instead............

Quote:
And one day you will realize that you are the one in error, but unfortunately it will probably be too late. You've been duped by the master of deception into thinking Christians are the enemy and concepts like love and forgiveness are bad things.
........ and where hyperbole fail instead make vague ominous threats about the future, or that your detractors are in the service, or under the control, of another of your fantasy beings: Satan.

Quote:
That doesn't change the fact that the government demanded that they perform an action that they personally felt violated their moral beliefs.
Because this is not a "fact" in the first place, just something you have invented to feed your ongoing narrative. The only "fact" is that these bakers were asked to do nothing else but conform to the law. The same law that everyone else has to conform to, but which you want special privilege exemption from for no other reason than you strongly believe it should be one rule for you, and one rule for everyone else.

Quote:
the 1st amendment guarantees us that government will not make a law restricting our free exercise of religion.
That is what you pretend it means, and maybe you even believe it, but the fact is nothing in that amendment was designed to exempt you from the law because you claim your religion should allow you to be. And whinging and whining have never been legal arguments.

Quote:
Certainly shatters your illusion that everyone is on your side and you can't be wrong.
That is a bit rich given you are the one on this thread presenting "There are people who agree with me" as an argument and not the argumentum ad populum fallacy it actually is.

Quote:
Since you are extremely supportive of homosexuality
I myself am extremely supportive of "Innocent until proven guilty" and given you have failed to erect a SINGLE argument against the morality of homosexuality, I have nothing against homosexuality.

Quote:
it is a pointless debate anyways because you would never understand why they objected in the first place.
Not agreeing with it is not the same as not understanding it. If you believe we do not understand your issues with homosexuality and where they stem from in reality, then the mistake is yours, not ours.

Quote:
Who are you to decide when a Christian's moral convictions are justified or not?
Who are we not to? Morality is not an island. It is a species level discourse. And if a group, however small or large, are being persecuted or wrongly treated without any basis.... and as I keep pointing out you have not managed to ever ONCE erect a basis for the outright vile assertions that homosexuality is immoral..... then it is for all of us to stand up and point this out.

Quote:
A gay marriage is a constant state of rebelling against God's design.
A design AND an entity that you are incapable of substantiating in any small way at all. So really what is going on here is YOU do not like homosexuality, YOU have no arguments to support this position, so YOU invent your own god and a design and merely declare homosexuality to be against it.

Quote:
And you continue to have ZERO proof that our beliefs are nothing more than myths and fairy tales.
And you continue to have ZERO proof that your beliefs are true in any way at all. And YOU continue to dodge any request to have you back up your position by demanding everyone else has to back up their positions but you are magically exempt.

Quote:
And just because our proof doesn't meet your extremely narrow requirements (and nothing would really) of acceptable proof doesn't give you the right to claim as FACT that it is myth and fairy tales. That's your claim. Own up to it. Lack of evidence is not proof.
Yet you use lack of offering evidence as proof in every post. Again one rule for you, one rule for everyone else, is your MO and mantra of choice. There is nothing narrow about the requirements for evidence I have offered for example. Your rant that it is narrow is founded in nothing but your lack of ability to offer anything at all. My requirements for evidence are AMAZINGLY broad, not narrow. They are simply this:

1) State clearly what you are claiming.
2) State clearly what things you think support the claim.
3) Explain clearly how the things listed in 2 support the claim made in 1.

What is narrow about that OTHER than the fact you are incapable of offering anything? How could I even broaden something that broad? Your inabilities do not translate into a detraction of my structures.

No, your "narrow requirements" canard is just another level in your rampant and ongoing false narratives and distortions.

Quote:
OTOH, the only thing I see from your side is arrogance, a quick move to insults, zero respect for a difference of opinion, lots and lots of anger and even death threats.
Yet you have not found a single one of these things in my posts, so you choose instead to ignore my posts because they do not fit this narrative. Time and time again I have caught you out on supporting your fantasy narratives by simply ignoring the vast swatch of people and posts that do not conform to it, and reacting with disproportionate zeal to the tiny minority that do, which you explode out to fit your narrative and paint entire groups of people with it.

Yet it is not us arrogant enough to think the entire universe was made with us in mind, insulting others calling them sinful and immoral, showing zero respect for differences of opinion by shutting down services and laws for people who have different opinions on things like homosexuality, all with foaming at the mouth anger and death threats. Clean your own house up before presuming to run your finger along the side board in someone elses checking for dust.

Quote:
But you are on the side of righteousness?
Says the guy who pretends to know and speak the mind of the creator of the universe. Wake up.

Quote:
And the wonderful loving tolerant gay community decided to make death threats against their family.
And there you go opportunistically feeding your false narratives again. As if EVERY side in EVERY major debate does not have a minority of bad apples who resort to such behaviors. The difference between you and me however is that I can argue my position so I do not have to leap on the bad apples in your community and pretend they are representative. Whereas you have failed at every turn to support your positions, so you have to leap on propaganda tactics like this in order to have SOMETHING to post.

People issuing death threats and so forth should be dealt with to the full extent of the law in BOTH sides of this debate. Mine and yours. You are the only one trying to use it for political spin and propaganda however. To your shame and the shame of any you pretend to represent.

Quote:
Yep, there is clear evidence that it was a creation concept by an atheist to prove a ridiculous point.
But that is not evidence the entity in question does not exist. There have been plenty of things people have made up that have turned out to be true. So proving someone made it up, does not prove the concept untrue.

So your "yep" is not just wrong, it is exactly wrong. Wanna try again?

Quote:
And my proof is the relentless angry negative posts from atheists who exclusively attack only Christianity on a daily basis. Just downright despising the Bible, every single bit of it.
More of your lies, propaganda, spin and narrative. In fact many many atheists quite like the Bible. Atheist Ireland and other branches of AAI around the world actually support it, recommend people read it, want it included in English literature class and much much more. None of which supports your persecution narrative so you simply ignore it and lie about it. Very characteristic of someone who hates everything atheist with an intense degree. You are your own personal Jesus as the song says.

Quote:
And that's your ultimate parachute of deniability. You can simply claim (and always will) that the evidence isn't extraordinary enough. That is why I won't bother to present evidence anymore.
No the reason you do not present it is you do not have any. It really is that simple. I have not seen a single person buy into your "I have it but will not be presenting it because....." cop out narrative.

Quote:
So you admitted to worshiping a clearly fictional entity. Got it.
No more, or less, so than you do it seems.

Quote:
And there is plenty of compelling evidence that God is real.
Then for once, present some. So far you have not. So far you have not even tried even.

Quote:
Sorry, but simply saying there is no God doesn't make it a reality.
Sorry, but simply saying there is God doesn't make it a reality.

Quote:
But your side wants to slap the label of "hate speech" on anything you want in order to get your way ever time. It's obvious that you are not interested in fairness.
But your side wants to slap the label of "against gods design" or "sin" on anything you want in order to get your way every time. It's obvious that you are not interested in fairness.

Quote:
Sorry but I'm not going to take your claim at face value.
Amazing then how haughty, defensive, offended and retreat based your narratives get when we return EXACTLY the same favor. I myself would never want my claims taken at face value because when I make a claim, I am sure I can back it up and I do so when asked to. You merely make claims, then cop out with lame excuses when asked to support them. The difference there could not be more stark, but I am sure your narratives do not recognize it.

Quote:
Or you could take the position like I do with UFOs. I am open to the possibility while skeptical vs saying that there is absolutely no UFOS and that is a fact!
EXACTLY my position, yet you appear unable to deal with it or cope with it. I am entirely open to the possibility of there being a god. I am no more invested in there not being one as there being one. I do not care what is the truth about god, I simply care about KNOWING that truth whatever it may be.

And the truth is that I have been shown not a scrap of even a tiny iota of argument, evidence, data or reasoning that even BEGINS to substantiate the claim there is such an entity. So I simply do not subscribe to the idea there is such an entity.

But this does not leave it as being a 50:50 proposition. Because we have VAST amounts of evidence that gods get invented, religions get invented, and that there are numerous elements of human biology and psychology that leave us prone to doing so. So while we have no proof there is a god, and no proof there is not a god.... what we can say with honesty and certainty is that 100% of what evidence we do have points to it being an invention and 0% of the evidence we do have points towards there being one in reality.

Bully for you and your narrative of course. You have my sympathies.

None of this has any relevance to the POSSIBILITY there is such an entity, which I am entirely open to. But of course your narrative will have you assert with no basis that I hate god, I have Christians, I hate the Bible and I hate the idea there could be a god, and I am strongly biased against what you view as being "truth".

All of which narrative is used for no other purpose than to smoke screen then fact you simply have no evidence to offer. None. Nadda. Nichts. Zilch. Feck all. Nothing. Diddly. Squat.

Quote:
BTW, mocking and insulting someone just because you can't stand their opinion is quite indicative of immaturity.
Then stop doing so with your anti atheist narratives which you invent solely because you can't stand their position.

Quote:
It's not logical because your perception of reality is apparently only limited to your physical senses. There are many great mysteries in this life, mysteries that science can not explain at all.
The claim that the scientific perspective of such people is limited only to the senses is quite the falsehood from you and is not representative of reality at all. Further while there is of course things we can not explain, this is not license for you to simply make things up. That some things are not explained is not evidence that any one fantasy is credible or true.

Quote:
I get it. You hate the Bible with a passion and that fact alone only moves the needle towards the reality that God exists.
And there you go with the same narrative I have already called you on 1000 times on this forum and several times in this post alone. Yet as transparent as this narrative is, as many times as you are called on it, and the fact that not one single person on the forum appears to be buying it.... you keep selling it. Whether due to admirable dedication to even the most lost cause.... or a lack of anything to replace the narrative with... one can only speculate.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:44 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
But guess what, those that want to, still do. They won't stop you from coming in and taking a seat, but they can, and will, make certain that you understand that your patronage is not welcome, and if you can at all take a hint, never eat there again. I know the truth of this from first hand experience. As I understand it several counties in Mississipi, Texas, Louisiana and Alabama have had Marriage Bureau clerks quit or refuse to issue marriage licenses to anyone, because they are so opposed to the new LAW making Gay marriage legal in all 50 states.
That's more wedding business for other states and hurts the economy of their own states which are the poorest states in the nation, put that way by the idiots they vote into office year after year---and, yeah, my roots go back to the Gulf Coast region of Bama.

If you plan to open a bridal dress shop, forget the Gulf Coast

Old 07-09-2015, 04:23 AM

316 posts, read 214,516 times
I haven't read all these posts, but It's amazing how only certain PC groups have all this protection. Maybe childless/single people should start suing for discrimination.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:37 AM

745 posts, read 801,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddma View Post
I haven't read all these posts, but It's amazing how only certain PC groups have all this protection. Maybe childless/single people should start suing for discrimination.
"All this protection"???

You mean being treated like normal people?

They are now afforded the same rights as hetero couples... nothing more, nothing less

Old 07-09-2015, 06:17 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddma View Post
Maybe you could describe some ways in which those groups are discriminated against and they could be discussed.
You should start a thread for that since it's off topic for this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality