Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 11:53 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelOrear View Post
Hello,

Here is my story:

I am officially Jewish by descent (moms is Jewish), I was baptized as a catholic though since my father was catholic and did get a confirmation, and I have close friend co-worker who is a traditional evangelical Christian.

I believe in a higher power, but am not sure which if any of the above faiths are true, since:

1. For Judaism vs. Christianity, there are many complex books written on both sides arguing pro and con as to whether the OT really proves Jesus really is the messiah and whether deeds vs. faith is necessary for salavation. In many cases, whole 200 page essays have been written arguing for or aganist a specific verse or word choice favoring the Old teastmeant prophecizing Jesus.

2. For Catholic vs. Evangelical, there are hundreds of books arguing about church history, whether certain practices are approved or not approved by the New Teastmeant, etc etc

on Amazon, for Traditional Judaism,. Traditional Catholocism, and Evangelical Christianity, there are about 100 books each on apologetics.

In reviewing these books, each of these three sides has SOME VERY SMART people and some very good arguments. There are also some powerful miracles in all three religions.

I have a job, and so many other responsibilities.

How do I manage to sort through all these books and arguments to determine the one true faith?

Thanks
I would suggest start with the Bible. Have you read it? If not, start with Genesis and read the first 4-5 books. Then go read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. It will take a bit of time, but it'll be worth it. It's better, in my mind, to do that than get some random guy's opinion. If you have any questions, I'm a pastor in a Christian church, you're welcome to message me privately and I'll answer any questions I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 11:56 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
How do I manage to sort through all these books and arguments to determine the one true faith?
I think it is better start with the more fundamental question: is there even such a thing as a "one true faith?"

Related questions: is the concept of "the supernatural" viable and helpful for anything? Are holy books really an effective mechanism for divine revelation? What is knowable? How does one determine what one knows? What are good standards for affording or not affording belief to an idea or ideology?

In short: is faith (belief without requiring evidence or substantiation) a valid epistemology that can lead towards truth, or towards anything with certainty?

I submit that if you don't choose a valid epistemology in the first place, then you will end up asking the wrong questions and go off on potentially a lifelong rabbit trail.

On the other hand if you can't get your mind around the possibility that there is NOT an invisible personal interventionist deity responsible for creating and sustaining existence and who wants to manage your personal existence ... then you ARE stuck with the task of finding a belief-system that you can embrace of at least rationalize. And as you're already noticing, they ALL have pretty significant problems and inconsistencies.

If you are concerned with the closest possible approximation to empirical truth and reality that is possible, you can't base your evaluation on whether or not smart people believe a thing, because smart people are not infallible and not necessarily wise and have blind spots and confirmation bias and ego investments just like everyone else. You can't base it on how many people believe it, or how old the idea is, because neither of those things guarantee rightness and when you deconstruct it fully, they don't even tend to improve your chances of rightness. Widespread acceptance for an idea proves nothing except that an idea fits with prevailing notions of what's pleasing and non-threatening to one's existing biases.

Another thing you have probably already noted is that most people hew to whatever religion they were born into. Childhood indoctrination is important. Even with you, you're probably giving preferential consideration to the three religions you've had contact with thus far. At least you have three to consider, rather than being already locked into one.

At any rate ... in summation, before shopping for any ideology, first figure out what your evidentiary standards are and what methods or tests you will use for truthfulness. Philosophy 101 is really helpful in making good decisions about one's beliefs.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:16 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
your precious neshama is Jewish
the Shechinah weeps to hear you even ask the question

Old 07-29-2015, 12:20 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
Quote:
Hello,

Here is my story:

I am officially Jewish by descent (moms is Jewish), I was baptized as a catholic though since my father was catholic and did get a confirmation, and I have close friend co-worker who is a traditional evangelical Christian.

I believe in a higher power, but am not sure which if any of the above faiths are true, since:

1. For Judaism vs. Christianity, there are many complex books written on both sides arguing pro and con as to whether the OT really proves Jesus really is the messiah and whether deeds vs. faith is necessary for salavation. In many cases, whole 200 page essays have been written arguing for or aganist a specific verse or word choice favoring the Old teastmeant prophecizing Jesus.

2. For Catholic vs. Evangelical, there are hundreds of books arguing about church history, whether certain practices are approved or not approved by the New Teastmeant, etc etc

on Amazon, for Traditional Judaism,. Traditional Catholocism, and Evangelical Christianity, there are about 100 books each on apologetics.

In reviewing these books, each of these three sides has SOME VERY SMART people and some very good arguments. There are also some powerful miracles in all three religions.

Thanks
My POV: toss out the books, and instead look for answers in your own heart and mind. You'll find what's right for you.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:35 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Yes. Those two choices seem to be the ones

(1) pray to God to tell you which.

(2) reason it out by study.
Or do both.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:43 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Or do both.
Yes. It is possible to combine both.

Which reminds me, While following Vizio's advice, don't forget the Quran or the Book of Mormon.
I won't mention the Bhaghavad gita/Ramaya and the Tripitaka as you are are just looking at the religions of the book.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:44 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
Quote:
... to determine the one true faith?
What a rediculous idea. Why on earth would God make one "true" faith for the many different people in the world?

To give the "official"answer to your question, you are a Jew and therefore Judaism is what your soul needs.

For the "unofficial" answer, study, learn, and search yourself. Eventually you'll find what you need.

Last edited by JB from NC; 07-29-2015 at 07:57 PM..

Old 07-29-2015, 08:08 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Yes. It is possible to combine both.

Which reminds me, While following Vizio's advice, don't forget the Quran or the Book of Mormon.
I won't mention the Bhaghavad gita/Ramaya and the Tripitaka as you are are just looking at the religions of the book.
Well, there are also the Baha'i scriptures. I can't remember what they're called. I actually think a lot of what I've read from them is incredibly beautiful, but boy! what a huge amount of material!

Old 07-29-2015, 11:26 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Hello,

Here is my story:

Thanks
It seems a lot of people are telling you not to care about criticizing it like scientific "truth" should be criticized. But to find what "feels" right to you so that you can feel confortable with your believes and "experiences."

I suggest you go back to the beginning, and open up the search a bit wider.

Do you accept that Abraham sacrificed baby animals by bisecting them in half and the Creator of the Universe felt a "justified need" to not educate the whole world but simply "covenant" with "his favorite man's lineage" through his sons and daughters (then just his daughters since the medieval period) and those "properly" adopted into the race.

Do you then after accept that the Jewish religion "was" true and then "stopped" being true once Jesus was born or crucified or baptized or w.e. etc even though no Jew was instructed in the Old Testament to worship the "Next and Last" Anointed (Messiah) as being God, the Creator himself (who incidentally originally instructed not to worship anyone but him (Creator), but then decided to add a stumbling block of having to worship his human-manifested Jesus persona (actually the definition of an "Avatar" like Krishna is to Vishnu in the Hindu religion) first before his Creator persona so that now all Jews are damed or ignored even if they worship the Creator disregarding his Jesus persona as they have always done?

Do you then, after that, believe that God decided to "inspire" various books and then again "inspire" various priests to decide on a "right" canon and then "inspire" them and others to oppress all other religious (and non-religious) writings. Do you then believe that "later additions" weren't "inspired" but were lies from a "Corrupted Church" and that King James of England, etc have the "right inspiration" to tell which books and interpretations were the "originals" more than the General Christian (Catholic Christian) church that payed homage to the Bishop of Rome (called the Pope) and traced their line back to the Apostles and the Roman legalization of Christianity and themselves know how they decided on which books to bind together into their Bible? Or do you believe that Jesus wouldn't allow his "Posthumously Legalized Church" to be corrupted and all splinter groups diving away from Unity under the homage to the "inspiredly" elected Bishop of Rome are the actually corrupt and corrupting ones.

You can try the "belief o'matic" though... I'm sure someone around here can post a link... or you can search for it.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 07-29-2015 at 11:38 PM..

Old 07-30-2015, 10:57 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Yes. Those two choices seem to be the ones

(1) pray to God to tell you which.

(2) reason it out by study.
Use both and ... ask others about a particular belief you develop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality