Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 09:02 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If this ended at just wanting equality, I would agree with you. But it's not. The agenda is to force everyone to accept homosexuality. If you resist, they want you to be punished. That's why I see zero talk from your camp about trying to find a solution that could respect her beliefs yet maintain equality. Nope, it's all about put her in jail! Equality exists in the state of Kentucky. There are over 100 other places in that area where a gay couple could get their marriage license. Just not from this woman. But of course, that's not good enough.
Nor should it be.

There's a 100 other restaurants blacks can get food from, but not from this one that is for whites only.

This is a government office and she is an elected official. She is in direct violation of the supreme court.

Does she want equality and to be treated fair? If so, then she should just step down since she's unwilling to do her job. That's the best solution for everybody. Those who don't adapt are left behind. Ask any racist store owner back in the 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 09:04 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
There are many other places these gay couples can get their marriage licenses, however they target this one woman and do everything in their power to see that she is forced to comply with their agenda. The hate is directed at her. Even on this forum people have said vicious, hateful things about her. Yet, I don't hear any hateful things spewing from her, only that she must follow her beliefs. What happened to religious freedom?
So same-sex couples are supposed to find a county clerk who will not discriminate against them. In the name of religious freedom. Got it.

p.s. That's just what they told black Americans in the Jim Crow days. "Find someone who will serve you. We will not."

Old 09-01-2015, 09:07 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
There are many other places these gay couples can get their marriage licenses, however they target this one woman and do everything in their power to see that she is forced to comply with their agenda. The hate is directed at her. Even on this forum people have said vicious, hateful things about her. Yet, I don't hear any hateful things spewing from her, only that she must follow her beliefs. What happened to religious freedom?

You have no concern that everytime you deal with a government entitity they can discriminate against you for whatever beleif they may hold?

Most of the people have been critical of her refusing to do what she is paid to do. She gets a salary for doing a job and she refuses to do it or let others do it either, she has decided that the people in her county have to follow her religious beliefs as far as marriage goes. What other services would you accept being denied to the citizens of a county, state or country that they are legally allowe to? The agenda is simply that she does what she is paid to do. Her job is partly to produce licenses so people can get married. Her religious beliefs has so far only excluded same sex marriage but not any of the other sins in her Bible.

If she is allowed to not issue licenses and gays have to go to other counties than the same ability to decide what laws to follow and which to disobey should be extended to all government employees. The anger is directed at her because it is only her actions that have caused the situation where people are not allowed to get a service they are legally entitled to receive.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:15 AM

409 posts, read 484,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
You do not consider yourself to hate. However you willingly support the demonetization of your LGBTQ brothers and sisters in the community. God is your cudgel.

You are not required to agree with the civil rights of LGBTQ, women, or persons of color. You simply have to step aside and follow the law. That is the agenda. Get out of the way.

You are being oppressed? How.

The LGBTQ community has experienced the following;

Have you been denied employment?
Have you been denied a marriage certificate?
Have you been denied adoption?
Have you been assaulted for kissing your partner in a cafe?
Have you been dragged down the street tied to a car, and left to die?
Have you been molested and raped?

Again, how are you being oppressed and bullied by your LGBTQ brothers and sisters? To what extremes have your brothers and sisters harmed you, and your family?
As I said..."At one time, gays were oppressed, but now they have become the oppressors. Both extremes are wrong."

Don't assume that because someone opposes oppression, that they hate. This is the point I made before about the word "hater" being used as a club to subdue anyone who doesn't comply with the gay agenda.

The assumption seems to be that if you don't support gay marriage then you are A. White, B. Hate gays C. are racist. That's a bigoted assumption.

You don't know me, or anything about me. Don't assume that because I'm not in lock step with popular opinion on this forum that I don't like gay people. I don't like it when any group goes too far. I've always had gay friends since high school in the sixties and I know their struggles. It pained me greatly when they were targeted. But now, the gay agenda is going too far and they are becoming the oppressors. That is what I oppose.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:20 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,716 times
Quote:
As I said..."At one time, gays were oppressed, but now they have become the oppressors. Both extremes are wrong."

Don't assume that because someone opposes oppression, that they hate. This is the point I made before about the word "hater" being used as a club to subdue anyone who doesn't comply with the gay agenda.

The assumption seems to be that if you don't support gay marriage then you are A. White, B. Hate gays C. are racist. That's a bigoted assumption.

You don't know me, or anything about me. Don't assume that because I'm not in lock step with popular opinion on this forum that I don't like gay people. I don't like it when any group goes too far. I've always had gay friends since high school in the sixties and I know their struggles. It pained me greatly when they were targeted. But now, the gay agenda is going too far and they are becoming the oppressors. That is what I oppose.
You and Jeff keep referring to a "gay agenda." I don't see an agenda. They just want to be treated as equals in the eyes of the law. The agenda of the fundamentalists, like this woman, is to prevent them from being equals due to "God," which has no place in government.

As soon as they're seen as equals and discrimination stops, it becomes a non-issue.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:23 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If this ended at just wanting equality, I would agree with you. But it's not. The agenda is to force everyone to accept homosexuality. If you resist, they want you to be punished. That's why I see zero talk from your camp about trying to find a solution that could respect her beliefs yet maintain equality. Nope, it's all about put her in jail! Equality exists in the state of Kentucky. There are over 100 other places in that area where a gay couple could get their marriage license. Just not from this woman. But of course, that's not good enough.

The best solution would be that government offices only serve those they want to serve and refuse to serve those they do not want to. Minorities should view getting services from their government as a priviledge and be greatful if they find a government official somewhere that will serve them. The govenment is there for the majority of people only.

The only reason to put her in jail is that she is defying a court order and is in contempt of court. Do you also think that courts should not be in the busienss of enforcing laws? She does not need to accept homosexualtiy all she has to do is issue the licence for them to get married at the place that is willing to get married. Is it not clerks working for her that do the actual processing? If so she is ordering those under her to follow her religious views. Cannot her office have one clerk who would process the application. It seemed from the video that they did not have the permission to process it hence this clerk is imposing her religion not only on all the taxpayers of the county but also those in her office. She does not process the applications as she is in an office that the public do not go into. Jeff your idea of a compromise is that gays should only have rights from people who support them and everyone who is oppposed to same sex marriage should have the rights to make it harder for gays to get married. They should have to phone to all the other counties to find one that will serve them and if there are none then the next state or the state after that. That is your view of a compromise or equality.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:32 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Sorry, but she was elected to do a job. That job includes issuing marriage licenses.
She has been ordered by the court to do the job that SHE swore an oath to do, and yet she refuses. She even refuses to authorize another employee to issue the licenses.

Your "religious freedom" ends when it intersects the rights of other citizens.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:36 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:

Such "oppression"! Being required to DO YOUR JOB. Poor baby.

If I were to walk into work tomorrow and tell my boss that I would not be doing my job for "religious reasons" I would be fired. What about my "religious beliefs"?

Old 09-01-2015, 09:39 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
No one seems to have noticed that she stopped issuing all marriage licenses which is why 2 straight couples are also suing her.

Kentucky Clerk Still Won't Issue Same-Sex Marriage Licenses - ABC News

Quote:
Davis stopped issuing all marriage licenses after the Supreme Court legalized gay marriage across the nation. Two gay couples and two straight couples sued her, arguing that she must fulfill her duties as an elected official despite her personal religious faith. A federal judge ordered her to issue the licenses, and an appeals court upheld that decision. Her lawyers with the Liberty Counsel filed a last-ditch appeal to the Supreme Court on Friday, asking that they grant her "asylum for her conscience."
And, the gay couple does not want her to go to jail. They want her to suffer financial consequences for not doing her job.

She has a federal hearing coming up on Thursday.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:45 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
She's a misguided, moronic, martyr-wannabe.They should throw the book at her. A few times.

A 50 lb. bible should do it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality