Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 03:52 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm not sure if this is the same lady, but another female county clerk who refused to issue marriage licenses was told she would be punished either by being fined or jailed for contempt, but she couldn't be fired. The judge said the reason was that because she was an elected official, she couldn't be fired because the people had voted her into office, so she couldn't be removed until the people voted her out. WTH? For one thing, I wasn't aware that a county clerk was an elected official and even if clerks are, refusing to work should be basis for anyone's termination, elected or not.
I'm not sure how things work in Kentucky (perhaps Miss Blue will stop by and tell us), but next door in West Virginia, county clerks are indeed elected officials. Certainly that does make discipline more difficult since you can't just fire an elected official, but it certainly is possible. It usually comes in the form of an order from the State Supreme Court in WV. Elected county officials HAVE been removed from office, but it is very difficult.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:38 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I thought the Bible was against divorced women? Picking and choosing again are we?
Heck, why are religious fundamentalists allowing a woman to lead them in a "religious" matter such as this? That's pretty anti-Biblical in itself.

But of course we all know that this stunt is just using religion as an excuse rather than actually sincerely following a legitimate belief system. So no one should expect any sort of consistent commitment to actual Christian tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Some of us feel that it is tyranny to force people to do something against their will.
Some of us feel that people who get paid to do a job should actually do it or find another one. Weird that the far right is suddenly so in favor of an entitlement mentality where anyone gets to be paid for a government job even if they don't actually do anything.

Next thing you know conservative Christians will be lecturing us on the oppression of the proletariat and so on. Guess that's what happens when you argue backwards from a conclusion you're sure is right and make up the facts to fit that conclusion on the way.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
No it's not the same thing because you are talking about making a decision beforehand.
By this logic, I don't have to follow any law passed after I was born. Too bad there absolutely no legal precedent for not following a law simply because it is new, otherwise my life would be a lot more fun.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:45 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Some of us feel that it is tyranny to force people to do something against their will. Ya know, tyranny was something that our founding fathers fought against so it's kinda important.
LOL!

In other words, you want to pick and choose the laws you follow.

Laws that you like are just fine but laws you don't like are suddenly !!TYRANNY!! (shouted with a raised fist).

There are loads of laws I don't agree with. Personally I'm sick of the tight-ass laws concerning pain meds. I hate how all of the laws are designed to keep people from abusing them rather than passing laws to make it easier for people who suffer to obtain them.

And those kind of laws affect me a HELL OF A LOT more than gay marriage affects you. That much is guaranteed. Yeah, I'll gripe and moan and explain why I think those laws are stupid. For instance, one law says I have to go to the doctor every month and pay for an office visit to get pain meds. The doctor can no longer give out pain med prescriptions with automatic refills. Not only does that mean I have to drag my hurting butt to the doctor every month, it means the government (via Medicaid) has to pick up the tab. Now, with so many states facing a budget crisis, was it smart to add the cost of millions of unnecessary office visits every month to the states' cost? Of course not. Idiotic, right?

But tyranny? No ... and I get tired of people using that word because it just makes you look as if you don't know what it really means. I always think of 30 million WWII civilians in occupied nations rolling over in their graves when they hear an American cry tyranny over things like gay marriage or being forced to switch to florescent light bulbs or unleaded gasoline.

Too many Americans, who have lived in a relatively peaceful, democratic nation with an unbroken chain of elected politicians since George Washington, think they are living under tyranny every time they don't get their own way.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:50 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Here's another article on this county clerk. This one is written by a professed Christian.

KY County Clerk Defies Court, STILL Won't Issue Marriage Licenses To LGBT Couples

The county clerk is represented by Liberty Counsel, a law firm associated with the Jerry Falwell organization. They have advised her to continue to refuse to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples while they continue their appeals to the federal Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:53 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

Too many Americans, who have lived in a relatively peaceful, democratic nation with an unbroken chain of elected politicians since George Washington, think they are living under tyranny every time they don't get their own way.
*cough, Ford, cough*

Though goodness knows he wasn't a tyrant, (he was an Episcopalian ) since he gave amnesty to thousands of Americans. Something that bunched up the panties of the conservative fundamentalists. Who are unhappy about sooooo many things.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-14-2015 at 09:07 AM..

Old 08-14-2015, 09:18 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
*cough, Ford, cough*

Though goodness knows he wasn't a tyrant, (he was an Episcopalian ) since he gave amnesty to thousands of Americans. Something that bunched up the panties of the conservative fundamentalists. Who are unhappy about sooooo many things.
Well yes, Ford wasn't elected, that's true. But the government worked the way it was supposed to with the VP succeeding the POTUS should something happen to him. I guess my point was that we didn't have a revolution or coup d'etat upon Nixon's resignation. Many countries would have descended into chaos.

Heh heh and yeah, Ford wasn't exactly a shining star of our presidential history. Even if they are naming the next class of aircraft carrier after him. Why, I have no idea. I think FDR should get the first carrier of a brand new class. But ah well ... at least it wasn't named the USS Richard M. Nixon.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:24 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
LOL!

In other words, you want to pick and choose the laws you follow.

Laws that you like are just fine but laws you don't like are suddenly !!TYRANNY!! (shouted with a raised fist).
No tryanny is being forced to do something against your will or be punished. That's what the clerk is facing. Violate her religious beliefs or be punished in the form of losing her job.

Quote:

There are loads of laws I don't agree with. Personally I'm sick of the tight-ass laws concerning pain meds. I hate how all of the laws are designed to keep people from abusing them rather than passing laws to make it easier for people who suffer to obtain them.

And those kind of laws affect me a HELL OF A LOT more than gay marriage affects you. That much is guaranteed. Yeah, I'll gripe and moan and explain why I think those laws are stupid. For instance, one law says I have to go to the doctor every month and pay for an office visit to get pain meds. The doctor can no longer give out pain med prescriptions with automatic refills. Not only does that mean I have to drag my hurting butt to the doctor every month, it means the government (via Medicaid) has to pick up the tab. Now, with so many states facing a budget crisis, was it smart to add the cost of millions of unnecessary office visits every month to the states' cost? Of course not. Idiotic, right?
Certainly there are laws that everyone disagrees with on some level, but we are talking about a moral law that causes a moral conflict. A pain med law doesn't. Imagine you were in the situation where you worked a job for a number of years, a new moral standard is put in place by law, and you are told to comply or get out. Would you eagerly and gladly say, "No problem, I will quit immediately!!"

Quote:

But tyranny? No ... and I get tired of people using that word because it just makes you look as if you don't know what it really means. I always think of 30 million WWII civilians in occupied nations rolling over in their graves when they hear an American cry tyranny over things like gay marriage or being forced to switch to florescent light bulbs or unleaded gasoline.

Tyranny on a minor scale is still a form of tyranny.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:26 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
No tryanny is being forced to do something against your will or be punished. That's what the clerk is facing. Violate her religious beliefs or be punished in the form of losing her job.

Certainly there are laws that everyone disagrees with on some level, but we are talking about a moral law that causes a moral conflict. A pain med law doesn't. Imagine you were in the situation where you worked a job for a number of years, a new moral standard is put in place by law, and you are told to comply or get out. Would you eagerly and gladly say, "No problem, I will quit immediately!!"

Tyranny on a minor scale is still a form of tyranny.
So I can stop serving Black people in my restaurants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality