Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 09:27 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Vizio ignored that question the last time it was asked in this thread.
My apologies. Vizio has a life and he went home last night. I'll endeavor to answer the question now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I thought the religious view of marriage was "till death do we part".... So are you saying that is only if it bolsters your argument?
Marriage is till death do we part. But my argument isn't really based on her personal success with marriage. It's based on the fact that, as an elected official in this country, she apparently has a right to pick and choose what laws to enforce.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:29 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Well yes, Ford wasn't elected, that's true. But the government worked the way it was supposed to with the VP succeeding the POTUS should something happen to him. I guess my point was that we didn't have a revolution or coup d'etat upon Nixon's resignation. Many countries would have descended into chaos.

Heh heh and yeah, Ford wasn't exactly a shining star of our presidential history. Even if they are naming the next class of aircraft carrier after him. Why, I have no idea.
I just tossed that in because...well...because there is seldom a chance to do much more than vigorously nod my head and think, "Right on, Shirina!" while reading your posts.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
She is breaking the law.

Do you support her actions? I should have asked before. Do you support her breaking the law?

Using the excuse that other laws are being broken is specious. I will reserve my comments to this Court ruling, and her actions.

You wish to make this political and not faith based.
Personally, I would likely resign my position rather than pick and choose what laws to enforce or not enforce. I believe she is wrong to ignore the law--however she personally feels regarding it.

Having said that, I see no reason why the courts should force it on her, because they have, in the past, chosen to ignore elected officials that pick and choose the laws they wish to enforce.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:44 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,374,572 times
The thing is, this clerk isn't violating her religious beliefs. She isn't getting married to someone of the same gender as her. She is issuing a license as an agent of the government to individuals who are exercising a right that the government guarantees that they have.

You can believe whatever whacked out stuff you want to, but you can't impose those beliefs on others when the others are trying to enjoy a right that the Constitution says that they have. That's the First Amendment in a nutshell.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:48 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
No tryanny is being forced to do something against your will or be punished. That's what the clerk is facing. Violate her religious beliefs or be punished in the form of losing her job.

....snip....
Actually Jeff, if you don't do the job you were hired to do, there are consequences. I guess spoiled kids would call them "punishment."

Did your Mommy or Daddy not explain consequences to you? Did they let you run across the road without looking for cars? Were you allowed to help yourself to the candy at the corner store?

Perhaps you hold a job now. Do you only do the parts you like? Do you holler "Tyranny!!" when the boss insists you have to do what you were contracted to do if you don't want to do it?

Old 08-14-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
The thing is, this clerk isn't violating her religious beliefs. She isn't getting married to someone of the same gender as her. She is issuing a license as an agent of the government to individuals who are exercising a right that the government guarantees that they have.

You can believe whatever whacked out stuff you want to, but you can't impose those beliefs on others when the others are trying to enjoy a right that the Constitution says that they have. That's the First Amendment in a nutshell.
In her view she is violating her conscience. You can disagree if you want, but it's her choice to make.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:55 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Marriage is till death do we part. But my argument isn't really based on her personal success with marriage. It's based on the fact that, as an elected official in this country, she apparently has a right to pick and choose what laws to enforce.
She does not have the right to choose the laws she will enforce. Your argument that other people break laws is a specious argument. She did not present this argument to the Court.

The Court told her she must follow the law and issue marriage licenses to LGBTQ couples like any other couple.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
She does not have the right to choose the laws she will enforce. Your argument that other people break laws is a specious argument. She did not present this argument to the Court.
Other elected officials have shown that to be untrue. If not in theory, at least in practice.

I do agree with you on the idea that if she doesn't want to do the job, she ought to resign. But the case could be made that she is doing nothing that other elected officials have done with impunity.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:00 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
No tryanny is being forced to do something against your will or be punished. That's what the clerk is facing. Violate her religious beliefs or be punished in the form of losing her job.
Oh, I see. Obey the law or be punished. So ... ? And ... ?

Isn't that how the system is supposed to work? What's the point of having laws if there are no consequences to breaking them?

Quote:
Certainly there are laws that everyone disagrees with on some level, but we are talking about a moral law that causes a moral conflict.
It's a moral "law" that is based almost entirely upon religion ... and we've said a million times that religion does not have the right or the authority to make itself the law of the land. Even the government can't enforce a religious law.

The conflict occurs only because people think their religion trumps everything else -- including not just the secular laws themselves but also it is more important than simply being a nice and courteous human being.

This is why I've said again and again why religion is so damned dangerous. It carries the erroneous notion that it is both all-powerful and absolute. Nothing can or should interfere with religious belief. Because of that, even the law, which SHOULD put an end to the conflict, isn't enough to make people understand that religion is NOT the final arbiter in this country. The Supreme Court might not be the Supreme Being (as that moron Huckabee likes to say) but the Supreme Court is the only "Supreme" that matters. If you violate the law you are punished.

To you, however, and many other fundamentalists out there, I guess laws don't matter unless they parallel the Bible. Okay, that's fine. But don't whine when the consequences arrive.

Quote:
A pain med law doesn't.
Actually, it does ... but that's a topic for a different thread.

Quote:
Imagine you were in the situation where you worked a job for a number of years, a new moral standard is put in place by law, and you are told to comply or get out. Would you eagerly and gladly say, "No problem, I will quit immediately!!"
Well, if I were so uptight about gay weddings and I felt that I absolutely HAD to follow to the letter those immoral Biblical laws, then yes, I WOULD quit. If it was so important to me that I felt I had to disobey the law and shove my religion down everyone's throat, I would quit. Yes. Isn't pleasing God more important than having a job? Why should everyone ELSE suffer so that this idiot clerk can deliberately act as a roadblock to keep gays from legally doing what the law says they can do? Her job as a clerk isn't to pass judgment on who should or shouldn't get married. She is NOT the morality police. She's a clerk and her job is to grant marriage licenses that are sanctioned by LAW.

If she can't do her job due to a moral conflict, then it is her civic DUTY to vacate that position immediately. Then she can practice her faith and feel all warm and fuzzy inside because she refused to issue gay marriage licenses; she can imagine all of the nifty bright and shiny rewards she'll get in Heaven for "martyring" herself for the cause of bigotry, hatred, and good ol' fashioned religious fascism. But she has NO right to disobey the law because of her primitive superstitions and she can't sit there and deliberately not do her job and still hold the office.

How does that saying go? Something like "crap or get off the pot." Well guess what ...

Quote:
Tyranny on a minor scale is still a form of tyranny.
Tyranny, loosely defined is "cruel and oppressive government rule." Yeah, I know. You're going to argue that making a religious anti-gay bigot issue marriage licenses is oppressive. Except it isn't. Know why? Because she has the choice to quit. The government isn't MAKING her issue gay marriage licenses. No one has a gun to her head. It would only be oppressive if she was being forced to issue marriage licenses because the government is saying, "You have to issue those licenses. No, you can't quit. YOU have to issue them. If you do not, you will be subject to torture and execution -- and your family will suffer the same fate." THAT is oppressive. But she has the option to quit, free and clear.

Not getting your own way is not tyranny so, no, it isn't even tyranny on a minor scale. There is nothing "cruel or oppressive" about it. Otherwise, one could argue that anything the government wants you to do that you don't want to do is "tyranny." That makes the word utterly meaningless.

You and others like you love using that word because it conjures up images of people who were TRULY oppressed -- slaves, Japanese-Americans during WWII, women, Chinese railroad workers, communists and leftists during the McCarthy era, and others in America. To say nothing of worse things like Jews during the Holocaust or blacks in South Africa during Apartheid. You want to include yourself and this clerk in with those groups which is just plain nonsense.

I think you're going to find that most Americans, even a majority of Christians, are getting a little tired of people using religion as an excuse to simply be a lousy human being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality