Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 07:49 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
1. dogs can not give legal consent to enter into any legally binding contract.
Consent is irrelevant to my point. The point is to place yourself in a similiar scenario as the county clerk. Would you feel it is perfectly fine to issues marriage licenses that violated your moral or religious beliefs? It's hard to make someone on your side understand when you see nothing wrong with gay marriage.

Quote:

2. Giving out a license does not require her to do anything that she did not do before.

Maybe she doesn't want to stand in front of God one day and explain why she put her signature on a license to commit to an immoral lifestyle.

Quote:

She does not preform ceremonies, or attend weddings. She is not required to marry someone of the same sex. All she is required to do is enter the information from the application into a computer and print a form, which is the exact same thing she was required to do before.
It is still a level of participation that she is not comfortable with. Yeah I get that her only option really is to just quit, but it's certainly sad that I live in a generation where the government is now forcing Christians to violate their beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 07:53 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Consent is irrelevant to my point. The point is to place yourself in a similiar scenario as the county clerk. Would you feel it is perfectly fine to issues marriage licenses that violated your moral or religious beliefs?
And you have your answer already from many people, myself included, many of which you have chosen as usual to skip over and ignore. The answer is that if you accept such a job, then your personal hobbies at home should not impact on your ability or willingness to perform them. If you have the hobby of Christianity in your spare time... GREAT.... but that has nothing to do with performing your job in the work place.

But if I was in a job where some task I was asked to perform was morally repugnant to me, then I would realize this issue was mine, not the jobs or my employers, and I would request a transfer or leave the job. Simple as that. So simple in fact it must take some quantity of energy to contrive to miss it.

Quote:
It's hard to make someone on your side understand when you see nothing wrong with gay marriage.
It is hard to see anything wrong with gay marriage given the lack of any reasons to see anything wrong with gay marriage. Especially from you.

Quote:
Maybe she doesn't want to stand in front of God one day and explain why she put her signature on a license to commit to an immoral lifestyle.
Then she chose the wrong job, she should start calling agencies or request an internal transfer.

Quote:
I live in a generation where the government is now forcing Christians to violate their beliefs.
Except as has been pointed out to you 1000 times from the cake thread to this one.... that is not actually happening. No one has forced anyone to do anything. You tried to sell the "forced" narrative in the cake threads. It failed. You are trying it again here. It is failing.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:12 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Consent is irrelevant to my point. The point is to place yourself in a similiar scenario as the county clerk. Would you feel it is perfectly fine to issues marriage licenses that violated your moral or religious beliefs? It's hard to make someone on your side understand when you see nothing wrong with gay marriage.
Marriage licenses are part of a contract or civil agreement.
Contracts require the ability to give legal consent.
Animals are not capable of giving legal consent.

Quote:
Then she needs to find a job where her job duties do not require her to follow all laws and issue marriage licenses.

Quote:
It is still a level of participation that she is not comfortable with. Yeah I get that her only option really is to just quit, but it's certainly sad that I live in a generation where the government is now forcing Christians to violate their beliefs.
No one is FORCING her to do anything. SHE took the job and swore an oath to follow the law, and issue licenses including marriage licenses. No one forced her to take the job. No one is forcing her to stay at the job. If she feels that she can no longer do her job she is perfectly free to find another one.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:37 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:

<snip>

No one is FORCING her to do anything. SHE took the job and swore an oath to follow the law, and issue licenses including marriage licenses. No one forced her to take the job. No one is forcing her to stay at the job. If she feels that she can no longer do her job she is perfectly free to find another one.
She didn't just TAKE the job. She actively sought it. It that jurisdiction, the county clerk is an elected position. She ran for the office and won. Furthermore, ever since the first governmental entity recognized SSM, every person working in a government office that issues marriage licenses knew that it was a possibility that such activity could become a part of the job at any time.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:20 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
This woman is forcing her religious beliefs on others, what happened to freedom of religion? Does she have the right to impose her religious beliefs on others? I think not. This woman is an elected official representing the government and when the government has decided that certain laws are legal, then she is in no position to question the legality of that law, the only thing that she can do is to abide by that legal decision or resign her position.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:31 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:

The county clerk isn't being paid to decide who is worthy of marriage, and she chose to bring her prejudice views into the workplace. There is no grandfather clause for bigotry.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:00 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Not giving a license to a couple based on the GENDER of the people in that couple is the very definition of gender discrimination.
No more so than it is age discrimination to require a kid to be 16 to drive a car.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:02 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Unless it's the most clueless same-sex couple in America who somehow stumble into a church with a fundamentalist preacher who gives them the frowny face and says, "No marriage for you!"

In which case, since this is a great country and no one has to get married in a fundamentalist church, they can wipe the dust off their feet and leave. Then they are free to go a a nice, accommodating church that has a happy face minister (or City Hall) and be joined in wedded bliss by someone with who isn't going through life upset that their fellow citizens have rights.
No one in this country is saying a gay person can't get married. But we are saying they should do so within a defined set of parameters.

The SCOTUS recently decided to change that defined set of parameters. They didn't simply allow participation in marriage -- they changed marriage to conform to the wishes of a minority.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:03 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No more so than it is age discrimination to require a kid to be 16 to drive a car.
Sure, but there is a very real legal distinction between legal discrimination and illegal discrimination. The State has had no trouble showing why this age based restriction on liberty is appropriate, and does not have to rely on religious dogma to do so.

-NoCapo

Old 08-20-2015, 11:03 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Driving a car is a privilege, not a civil right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality