Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 12:03 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Latest word I heard is that the judge ordered her back to the pokey.
As far as I now, you heard wrong.

She did loose here latest appeal, albeit on a technical point. It has also been ruled that she can be paid for the time spent in jail and the subsequent week she took off to bask in her fan mail, on the general principle that elected officials get paid whether or not they work (clearly, I'm in the wrong line of work).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 12:15 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Latest word I heard is that the judge ordered her back to the pokey.
Really? I hadn't heard that. I thought she was complying with the order to let deputies issue the licenses.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:27 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Can you present at least one solid factual point that shows Huckabee as sleazy? What has he done that is so awful in your eyes?
What has he done that's so awful?

The moment he uttered the words, "The Supreme Court is not the Supreme Being," I knew we were dealing with a fascist whose brain is missing a lot of essential neurons.

Huckabee has ties with a religious group known as Dominionists who actually want to rewrite the US Constitution to be in line with Old Testament law. Yeah, they don't even have the decency to rewrite it in line with what Jesus said. Nope. He allied himself with people who actually want to include all of those immoral and depraved OT laws in the Constitution 2.0.

There was already one of these guys, a state rep. from Arkansas, Charlie Fuqua (R) who said that parents should be given the legal authority to murder their children if they become too rebellious. He went on to say that the guidelines for executing (re: murder) your children can be found in Deuteronomy 21:18-21.

Yeah ... these are the kinds of screwballs with whom Huckabee is quietly in league.

Let's not forget, too, that several of these ultra-fundies have written pro-slavery articles and books, of course citing Biblical passages that prove slavery is not immoral as long as the Biblical rules are followed (like only being in trouble for murder if you beat a slave to death immediately but if the slave dies a day or two later, you're in the clear).

This Dominionist paradigm is the reason why Huckabee can say something as holistically un-American as "The Supreme Court is not the Supreme Being." It flagrantly shows his attitude regarding the rule of law: If the law disagrees with or contradicts his own personal interpretation of the Bible, the Bible wins. You couldn't ask for a more clearly displayed example of theocratic fascism whereby your right to be free from Christianity no longer matters.

I would be happy if Huckabee were ONLY sleazy. I personally think this guy is downright dangerous.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:37 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
What has he done that's so awful?

The moment he uttered the words, "The Supreme Court is not the Supreme Being," I knew we were dealing with a fascist whose brain is missing a lot of essential neurons.

Huckabee has ties with a religious group known as Dominionists who actually want to rewrite the US Constitution to be in line with Old Testament law. Yeah, they don't even have the decency to rewrite it in line with what Jesus said. Nope. He allied himself with people who actually want to include all of those immoral and depraved OT laws in the Constitution 2.0.

There was already one of these guys, a state rep. from Arkansas, Charlie Fuqua (R) who said that parents should be given the legal authority to murder their children if they become too rebellious. He went on to say that the guidelines for executing (re: murder) your children can be found in Deuteronomy 21:18-21.

Yeah ... these are the kinds of screwballs with whom Huckabee is quietly in league.

Let's not forget, too, that several of these ultra-fundies have written pro-slavery articles and books, of course citing Biblical passages that prove slavery is not immoral as long as the Biblical rules are followed (like only being in trouble for murder if you beat a slave to death immediately but if the slave dies a day or two later, you're in the clear).

This Dominionist paradigm is the reason why Huckabee can say something as holistically un-American as "The Supreme Court is not the Supreme Being." It flagrantly shows his attitude regarding the rule of law: If the law disagrees with or contradicts his own personal interpretation of the Bible, the Bible wins. You couldn't ask for a more clearly displayed example of theocratic fascism whereby your right to be free from Christianity no longer matters.

I would be happy if Huckabee were ONLY sleazy. I personally think this guy is downright dangerous.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I don't know how many of you caught it in Wed night's 2nd Republican "debate", but Ben Carson suggested that illegal aliens can remain as "guest workers" provided they accept agricultural employment that in his experience few if any Americans actually want to do (which means of course that it is terrible working conditions and even worse pay). If they "refuse" to do that then they will be deported.

The irony of a black man advocating what is essentially slavery was apparently lost on him.

The irony of a Christian advocating slavery and structural racism also apparently went right past most people's heads.

But what do you expect in a country in which a majority aren't sure Obama was born in America, and a healthy percentage don't know that Joe Biden is our Vice President. We are becoming a nation of illiterates who don't understand how our own system works, and don't know or care what the actual issues are beyond how it superficially impacts us personally. And to the specific point of this thread, they don't understand the significance of the separation of church and state and how it actually works.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:17 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

Huckabee and jeffbase40 are both happy to protect people they know or who sucker them into believing they are really deep, true christians. Remember jeff's apologetic posts concerning Josh Duggar?
Like I said, "Thick as thieves". With the emphasis on the last word.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:18 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
But what do you expect in a country in which a majority aren't sure Obama was born in America, and a healthy percentage don't know that Joe Biden is our Vice President. We are becoming a nation of illiterates who don't understand how our own system works, and don't know or care what the actual issues are beyond how it superficially impacts us personally. And to the specific point of this thread, they don't understand the significance of the separation of church and state and how it actually works.
And the top 0.1% are benefiting enormously from this situation, as the rest of us are unable to unite against their financial and political power.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:23 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Really? I hadn't heard that. I thought she was complying with the order to let deputies issue the licenses.
Seems it was a false alarm. I saw the headline on a news page but didn't click the link to get the story. Sorry 'bout that.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
And the top 0.1% are benefiting enormously from this situation, as the rest of us are unable to unite against their financial and political power.
Actually some of us are doing just that. PM me if you want to know more.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:13 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Poor Kim Davis. New poll shows that the vast majority of Americans want her to go to jail.
http://www.worldreligionnews.com/iss...medium=twitter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality