Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 08:45 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times

Advertisements

I don't have one current concept, MsH. There are so many possibilities to consider and I have no way of knowing if any of them are correct. I enjoy thinking about it, but for practical purposes I stick with a micro view of reality ... my little corner of reality and what part I play in it. Your macro view of love being at the core of all, coincides with my acceptance of love as the foundation of my micro-view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 08:46 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think you mean: BANG!!!

Only bigger.

heh

Old 09-25-2015, 08:57 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdude View Post
i think you mean: bang!!!

only bigger.

ka-blam!

Old 09-25-2015, 09:40 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
My concept of reality is that it doesn't matter what I think. What actually matters is what happens that I can assess and draw inferences from, make useful predictions, and accurately describe things.

We humans, realizing how prone we are to confirmation bias and seeing patterns even where there aren't any, have developed a framework for doing just this; it's called the scientific method. And it has an excellent track record. It is why we are conversing via inconvenienced electrons right here and now. It is why we have cell phones, spacecraft, robots, artificial joints and, sadly, Justin Bieber. In other words, the scientific method produces validated / substantiated frameworks of understanding known as "theories" which leads to practical implementations (technology) that improves the human condition (on balance).

We humans also are social creatures who operate according to principles of social reciprocity. I want to live in a just, ethical and fair society so I act socially in ways that tend to bring that about. This is called "morality".

So my view of reality is that it exists, is partially but usefully comprehensible and explicable, and can be used, ethically and morally, to reduce human suffering, which compassion demands that we address to the extent possible.

I do not view reality as anything outside of what our five senses can engage, nor have I ever encountered some aspect of reality that requires a supposed sixth sense or supernatural entity to be rendered usefully and accurately explicable. Sometimes of course you have to be willing to admit that you don't understand or know something and be willing to sit with that uncertainty rather than make things up to preserve the illusion that you are omniscient.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:42 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Survival with a few rest stops along the way

Old 09-25-2015, 09:57 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
Miss H, you ask "what is your current concept of reality" since I live in my own mind and no one else, my concept of reality is what I choose it to be. I think that the only thing that does exist is awareness and we all, every little speck, does it part in this awareness. What one chooses to call "it" doesn't really matter at all, it is just the way it is. No demons, no gods, that is unless you choose to create them for your own reality, it's your reality to mold and create in the way you choose it to be.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:04 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
My concept of reality is that it doesn't matter what I think.
It's a radical idea, isn't it?

Old 09-25-2015, 07:25 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Ah-ha! Someone who thinks like me!

Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment.
It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation.

-Sri Aurobindo

Old 09-25-2015, 07:52 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Ah-ha! Someone who thinks like me!

Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment.
It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation.

-Sri Aurobindo
Love and gravity. Don't forget gravity.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:31 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
..., it's your reality to mold and create in the way you choose it to be.
Not many people know that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality