Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 01:52 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Based on your daily anti-religious posts, I don't believe for a second that you'd be supportive. You have shown no tendency toward acceptance of religious people. I can only imagine the hostility you'd have toward their choice.
I am anti religious also, but I can tell you right now that if my son came to me (In a few years, he's only 3 now) and said, "Dad, I believe in God and want to go to church," I would accept it and hope he grew out of it. If he became a devout fundamentalist, I would worry more that he would no longer accept ME. Just because I think religion is foolish, doesn't mean I would disown my kid. You know, like the religious tend to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 01:59 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
^^^hmmm, let's see how that goes. Most of the atheist posters here are way over the top

Old 10-09-2015, 02:11 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
^^^hmmm, let's see how that goes. Most of the atheist posters here are way over the top
Do we expose you to way too much rational thought?

As opposed believing in myths that were postulated by a bunch of desert dwelling, superstitious and uneducated bronzed aged goat herders?

Quote:
And you guys aren't? Please Don't pretend to know me sloboy. Unlike your god, I actually love my son UNCONDITIONALLY.

230 posts, read 430,484 times
Quote:
Yeah I've seen that happen quite a bit. That's why we can't make blanket generalizations. Everyone has a different dynamic at home .
Too true. I should add that I forgot to mention the part about the kid being infatuated with a young Mormon lady.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:26 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
I am anti religious also, but I can tell you right now that if my son came to me (In a few years, he's only 3 now) and said, "Dad, I believe in God and want to go to church," I would accept it and hope he grew out of it. If he became a devout fundamentalist, I would worry more that he would no longer accept ME. Just because I think religion is foolish, doesn't mean I would disown my kid. You know, like the religious tend to do.
Good for you. I can honestly say though, based on what some of the outspoken atheists on this board post, that they would not be so accepting.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:39 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
Quote:
Why does religion, any religion, get these wack-a do ideas that their particular imaginary hobby interests are more important than their own flesh and blood?
It's not the religion, or any religion- it's the people practicing it. Practicing being the key word here as apparently they have a long way to go before they have perfection. They seemed to have missed the lesson on unconditional love.
This is all about control. Even (too) many non-religious parents are overly controlling. There is a lack of respect for individuality and free thinking from vast number of people. Very sad.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Good for you. I can honestly say though, based on what some of the outspoken atheists on this board post, that they would not be so accepting.
Some may not be too accepting, but you never know how people will react when it is their children. They may talk a big game on here, and then be perfectly fine with their child attending church. You have to remember, people are not necessarily the same online as they are at home.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:19 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
It just goes to prove the point. To be devoutly religious, one must have mental health issues.
That doesn't prove anything other than that you are extremely biased against religious people.

Quote:
Tell a mental health worker that some imaginary voice talks to you and you are crazy.
And you probably would be. A medical professional would probably diagnose you with Schizophrenia.

Quote:
Tell a preacher the same thing and you are blessed.
Nonsense.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:22 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I'll try and keep the story short. You can listen to the whole background by Kaitlyn McKenna herself here: #81 – Sarah Morehead, Kaitlyn McKenna & Cruel things believers say | No Religion Required

Kaitlyn came out to her parents as an atheist when she was 17, and got kicked out of the house. There was a brief reconciliation, with a number of stipulations, including taking part in Mormon church activities, including taking the endowment ceremony. When the time came, Kaitlyn declined, and her parents gave her 11 days to get out of the house.

11 days. No apartment, no car, no fulltime job at the time, nothing. No furniture, no security deposit, just a get out. We don't want you. We shun you. Scram.

Kaitlyn's dilemma was picked up by the Freedom From Religion Foundation, and they helped her set up a GoFundMe account, https://www.gofundme.com/justforessentials to help her out. So far (at this writing) $12,700 has been raised to get her set up.

Too bad she is not a fundie baker who won't bake a cake for same sex couples... they get $500,000.

Her father is a bishop in the local ward. He would not even allow Kaitlyn to go to the local temple for her sister's wedding.

Why does religion, any religion, get these wack-a do ideas that their particular imaginary hobby interests are more important than their own flesh and blood? It makes one just boil how a parent can do this to their child, for the simple reason that the child choose not to believe in the same fantasy entities.

I could not imagine kicking my kids out at that age if for some reason they decided to be religious, just because I am and was not. But somehow, I bet we find a lot of support for the parents.

So maddening how religion twists and hurts real people, all for some future hope when your dead.
That is really, really sad. In defense of her father, it would not be solely his decision that she would not be able to attend her sister's temple wedding. Even if he'd wanted her to, she wouldn't have been able to. Other than that, assuming that this story is really on the up and up, her parents should be ashamed of themselves. It sounds to me as if they are both a couple of first class jerks.

Quote:
How flippin' Mormon of them!
No, how flippin' non-Mormon of them.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-09-2015 at 03:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality