Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 10:22 AM

12 posts, read 8,499 times

Advertisements

If there is a god, why do bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people?
My parents are Hindus but I’ve been to Hindu temple, Buddhist temple, and church. Will someone explain this to me?
I really appreciate any info you can provide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 10:27 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sha3205 View Post
If there is a god, why do bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people?
My parents are Hindus but I’ve been to Hindu temple, Buddhist temple, and church. Will someone explain this to me?
If there is a god, why do you think it would care about what happens to people?

Old 10-16-2015, 10:31 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
Don't worry about it. God is an agreed upon fiction that some people just need to deal with life.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:31 AM

689 posts, read 549,438 times
Quote:
In Christianity, planet earth acts like a filter. It allows bad things to happen such that bad people will be eradicated once and for all. Of course, "good people" is not up to humans to define because humans can only judge from a small and incomplete window to evaluate a person. You don't actually know the deep inside of anyone you ever met. Plus that your judgment is based on one's present and past to determine who's bad and who's good. God however can see thought the future to evaluate who's good, of course in terms of His standard. His standard is built based on a scope of how you will act in an eternity.

Your line of thinking makes a mistake in assuming that earth is the final place built by God. However it is just an intern stage. God's final goal is to build heaven, not earth. In the Bible, earth is a wilderness where His sheep are scattered among the wolves.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:10 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,155,884 times
This is your brain on Christianity:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
In Christianity, planet earth acts like a filter. It allows bad things to happen such that bad people will be eradicated once and for all. Of course, "good people" is not up to humans to define because humans can only judge from a small and incomplete window to evaluate a person. You don't actually know the deep inside of anyone you ever met. Plus that your judgment is based on one's present and past to determine who's bad and who's good. God however can see thought the future to evaluate who's good, of course in terms of His standard. His standard is built based on a scope of how you will act in an eternity.

Your line of thinking makes a mistake in assuming that earth is the final place built by God. However it is just an intern stage. God's final goal is to build heaven, not earth. In the Bible, earth is a wilderness where His sheep are scattered among the wolves.
Any questions?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3FtNm9CgA6U

Old 10-16-2015, 12:29 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times
Quote:
Mark 10:18 "And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone."

Simply put, none of us can expect to have a life free of trouble based on the idea that we're "good people".

Old 10-16-2015, 12:41 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
that is an excellent question that is well-deserving of your time and attention to explore
the more sincere you are in exploring this, the more fruitful will be the results

the more you live in the question and continue to pursue it, and decline to be satisfied by glib shallow superficial answers (which effectively put a halt to acquiring any type of mastery in any area) the more wisdom and advancement you acquire.

it also helps to identify your intention and motive in asking the questions, and use self-awareness and honesty in noting how you respond to what your learn, how you use it or apply it. This is closely related to your motive and intention.

it is not just trying to get answers to your questions, the far more important exciting practical magnificent part is who you become in the process of exploring the big questions. It is a process of self-refinement. How willing are you to participate?

enjoy!

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-16-2015 at 01:17 PM..

Old 10-16-2015, 02:36 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,286 times
Why do bad things happen?

Three possibilities:

1) He's a horrible "person"
He creates arbitrary parameters for what constitutes as good. Stoning someone for being a homosexual is seen as fine because homosexuality is immoral, yet a man raping his wife is fine because a wife should always obey her husband. It's as if God's own personality flaws cause him to act and feel the way he does. For example, the God of the Bible is almost obviously a closeted homosexual with schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder. Thus, bad things happen (sometimes he does them intentionally) despite clearly having the power to not do that. That's called being a horrible person. If you're in a relationship and your significant others 'tests' you by making you put up with **** you shouldn't have to put up with, you're dating a manipulative sociopath. Some of you worship what is basically a psychotic girlfriend.

2) He doesn't care
The simple truth is God might not give a ****. You're an all powerful deity with a universe at your command. At that scale, does millions of starving children really matter? Assuming life exists outside of Earth, what possibly reason would this being have for caring about us all that much?

3) He's not as powerful as we think
The nicest theory is simply that he can't stop these things from happening. His power is strictly limited for whatever reason and he can't keep people from being murdered, including his so called 'chosen people,' by a psychotic dictator.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:34 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,012,828 times
Sure there is a good, Justice, selfless, loving , God for people who seek Him out and repent of sin and get married to God in a covenant .... And God is a good God through Christ , and good things happen to Gods people , .......................and there is a dark evil spirit who are alien to God and has very limited natural powers and tries to be like God , but will bring bad things on people, like holding the will of man where he cannot change to be good or healthy like tobacco or the evil spirits will bring illness on people and hurt them ......................... Where God has more power through Christ to put the evil spirits out of God`s people when they follow God`s ways and pray and expected to receive

Old 10-16-2015, 05:47 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,273 times
Quote:
The existence of God is an opinion. In a world without God one would statistically expect bad things to sometimes happen to good people, and vise-versa.

In the physical world events are simply events. They have no intrinsic meaning until humans pass judgement on them, declaring them to be either good or bad. The physical world is indifferent. That may seem cold and harsh, but the physical world is indifferent to your opinion of it. It's true that majority opinion can often impact the nature of the way events transpire. Whether majority opinion is itself good or bad in nature is also an opinion, as the institution of slavery, for example, demonstrates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality