Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your religion
Christian 90 33.09%
Catholic 30 11.03%
Hindu 4 1.47%
Chinese Universalist 0 0%
Buddhist 8 2.94%
Muslim 11 4.04%
Neoreligionist 1 0.37%
Sikh 0 0%
Jew 11 4.04%
Spiritist 3 1.10%
Baha'is 1 0.37%
Ethnoreligionist 0 0%
Confucianist 0 0%
Shintoists 0 0%
Jains 0 0%
Taoist 4 1.47%
Zoroastrian 0 0%
Other Religionist 13 4.78%
Non-Religious 46 16.91%
Atheist 50 18.38%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 01:57 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
Hey people, religion was created in the dark uneducated times. Those time is gone. The religion should be gone too. it is XXI century already! Science rules! Why do we need dogmas?
I disagree with uneducated times. I believe through-out history man has been learning and growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 02:07 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRiedl View Post
People often have a very strong attachment to their religious beliefs. This tends to increase as age does and fear of death mounts.

Death can be a frightening thing, and some people will cling to the notion of an afterlife to alleviate that fear.

That is the main appeal. Also keep in mind that many religions urge their adherents to spread their beliefs. This often means that religion will spread down family lines.

That is my view on the matter anyway.
We have had quite a few threads here about death and dying and If you search them, you will find that very few of us are actually afraid of death..Some people just seem to assume that the older persons only cling to their faith, because they are afraid of dying..That is simply not true..As for myself I am sure there is an afterlife and whenever the Lord wants me to join Him, I will go with joy, not fear

Old 02-06-2008, 03:43 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
I disagree with uneducated times. I believe through-out history man has been learning and growing.
agreed. i suppose he is trying to equate thousands and thousands of years with ignorance. all those poor enlightened mathematicians, astronomers, phsyicists, and so on that set the stage for him to claim that we are now enlightened, but none before us.

either that or he thinks that religion was invented in medival times...

Old 02-06-2008, 03:45 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
We have had quite a few threads here about death and dying and If you search them, you will find that very few of us are actually afraid of death..Some people just seem to assume that the older persons only cling to their faith, because they are afraid of dying..That is simply not true..As for myself I am sure there is an afterlife and whenever the Lord wants me to join Him, I will go with joy, not fear
i'm only afraid of incontinence...

Old 02-07-2008, 07:37 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
Atheist represent!

But I didn't see an agnostic on there, although that dosent apply to me, for a few it probably does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
Hey people, religion was created in the dark uneducated times. Those time is gone. The religion should be gone too. it is XXI century already! Science rules! Why do we need dogmas?
Because there are people that need it to live. As long as it makes them happy, more power to them. If it's Shiva, God, Allah, the teachings of Confucious or Buddah, more power to them. I don't think it's anyone's right, religious, atheist, or agnostic, to force their views on another person.

Besides... who uses roman numberals when talking or even on forums?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:12 PM

316 posts, read 596,227 times
Default Jewish

Jewish!
Rabbi Too!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:50 AM

245 posts, read 625,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Traveling Fella, weren't the Hindus around before Christ? That would mean the opposite of what you stated. It's not the mark of christians on hinduism, but the mark of hinduism on the christian religion.

HINDUISM: The world's third largest religion - Hinduism is generally regarded as the world's oldest organized religion.

From same link: The classical theory of the origins of Hinduism traces the religion's roots to the Indus valley civilization circa 4000 to 2200 BCE.
so what would be considered unorgnized religions? there are in fact many religions whos origions are lost in antiquity, they should have said oldest since known recorded history. there are many poeple who have often secretly been practicing the religion of there ancestors

Last edited by steffan; 02-08-2008 at 02:54 AM.. Reason: gotta watch that spelling

Old 02-11-2008, 09:39 AM

265 posts, read 615,547 times
atheism is using ones God given right, expressed through the laws of the land, to dis-believe in Him, while spending the dollar with faith that it will work at counter. the money that reads IN GOD WE TRUST. anyway just because people choose to make another man their God, like buddah and so on, this would make these people have no belief as well since they refuse and reject Jesus Christ as Lord. so if we say they have a religion then atheism has their as well.

I think it takes more work to disbelieve God until one day only a few breaths of life is all that stands between them and death.

atheism is a religion because those who say they are of this persuasion lives preach it. they teach it whenever they speak and they are faithful to their godlessness, and lord knows they give their lives as a living sacrifice to such a belief and for some even up to the end. they have to give an account to God for what their lives taught others to believe as well.

it's ok that atheism is on the list.

now as for me religion was what I got as a child concering my introduction into the church world, but my religion was dropped the moment I experienced A RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD. I've been religion free ever since and do share a blood born kinship in the family of God. I have a nearness with God I never did find in religious customs, programs, rituals, practices, meetings, services, routines, rules, or church like patterns. I never dressed or really spoke the part sometimes seen in exaggerated behavioral traits they display as congregational cues to one another that they are just like ever one else there. I just never really fit in this fashon, but I am Christian by lifestye convictions, conduct, commitment and Christ cleansing.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:51 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
But I didn't see an agnostic on there, although that dosent apply to me, for a few it probably does.
According to the strict doctrine that non-atheists pin on atheists (calling it a faith-based religion and such), I am not an atheist. Just a regular ol' agnostic - but all we got was "no religion" or something. That is apt for me though.
However, one poster on city-data (not one who I have ever seen post on this forum) has written this in their profile under Religion:

"Devout agnostic. I don't know and neither do you."

This may be the label that works best for me.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:55 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,383,205 times
I'm Self-Righteous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality