Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 04:25 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times

Advertisements

“The fanatical atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"—cannot hear the music of the spheres.”

Can you believe he said this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 04:34 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
“The fanatical atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"—cannot hear the music of the spheres.”

yes, I say the same thing all the time. Some atheist are out for revenge or they can't blame themselves or family members for just how stupid they were/are. Or that the "religion" made my daddy hurt me so. The numbers just don't support this deep seeded hate filled anit-religion war. I am anti big religion, but some of us take it way past rational.

These types of atheist completely ignore evidence in order to maintain the safety of their world view. Ex-fundyies are the worst. If we are a fundy, we are a fundy no matter what we believe. We need to try and lesson the fundy part. But like all mental issues, its very hard.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:38 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
There is fundamentalist atheism just like there is fundamentalist Christianity, albeit it is destructive in different ways and the damage is nowhere near as severe and widespread.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:59 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:

Yes, I can believe he said it.
Many atheists cut off their nose to spite their face.
They blame religion for all their problems not hearing the beautiful music.
Then they blame God for all their woes even though they say they don't believe in God.
They are mad at God even though they don't believe in God.
They are mad at Christians for believing what is written in the Scriptures even though they believe the Scriptures are fairy tales.

I'm not saying there isn't abuse out there, mental abuse by some ministers. There surely is. But why do they throw the baby out with the bath water?

Old 10-31-2015, 06:22 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
No, I can not believe he said this.
So many things are said that he said that are just made up, btw.

This doesn't even sound like his voice.
'They' didn't even do a good job to sound like him!

Old 10-31-2015, 06:32 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:

Einstein said a lot of stuff. In the Wiki article about his religious views, this comment was included this way:
According to biographer Walter Isaacson, Einstein was more inclined to denigrate atheists than religious people. Einstein said in correspondence, "[T]he fanatical atheists...are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against the traditional 'opium of the people'—cannot hear the music of the spheres." Although he did not believe in a personal God, he indicated that he would never seek to combat such belief because "such a belief seems to me preferable to the lack of any transcendental outlook."
You can read more here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...lbert_Einstein

It seems that Einstein didn't have a problem with atheism; just the fanatical aspects that some exhibit.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:35 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
In the Wiki article about his religious views,
this comment was included this way:
According to biographer Walter Isaacson, Einstein was more inclined to denigrate atheists than religious people. Einstein said in correspondence, "[T]he fanatical atheists...are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains ...

Well, then!
I stand corrected.
Thank you.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:40 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Then they blame God for all their woes even though they say they don't believe in God.
Deliberate misrepresentation. BELIEF in god is a source of many woes in the world, although not mine in particular.
Quote:
They are mad at God even though they don't believe in God.
Another deliberate misrepresentation. I have yet to meet an atheist who is "mad at god". We oppose BELIEFS ABOUT god and ARGUMENTS FOR god's existence, and we are sometimes angry when theists REFUSE to engage the actual counterarguments and keep pretending they even have a valid argument.
Quote:
They are mad at Christians for believing what is written in the Scriptures even though they believe the Scriptures are fairy tales.
What angers me is the societal harms that come from deliberate blinkered ignorance, whether it is the deliberate blinkered ignorance of the failed epistemology of faith, or some other deeply flawed ideology.

But even there ... it is not so much the beliefs people hold as their unwillingness and inability to justify those beliefs logically and rationally.
Quote:
I'm not saying there isn't abuse out there, mental abuse by some ministers. There surely is. But why do they throw the baby out with the bath water?
Why don't you guys at least throw out the bathwater ... or even failing that, just quit making claims that you have a superior morality and a new godly nature?

Old 10-31-2015, 06:51 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:

We see that on this board. Ex fundamentalists that jump into every thread and use words like fairy tale, make believe, and so on. I don't see that from former Catholics and atheists that left other religions.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:54 AM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
I laugh at the idea that atheists are angry at god. I wasn't spoonfed god. I never had to leave religion, it was not a part of my life. God is a story, no more real than Harry Potter.

As for Einstein, I'm sure he was a product of his era. One has to wonder how much he had to fear the religious, considering the work he did. His statement may be no more than covering his own ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality