Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 12:08 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
So you are saying atheism is a religion now? I thought it was just non-belief. So what is this speech you want to protect for atheists? The problem is you want to see the laws favor your own brand of ideology which is extremely hostile to religion. Christian fascism? Can you even give one example how Christians are being fascists?

You should be free to share your beliefs, but you should also learn to respect other people's beliefs. This billboard was an unnecessary offensive message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 01:43 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
^

Old 12-14-2015, 07:43 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
You should be free to share your beliefs, but you should also learn to respect other people's beliefs. This billboard was an unnecessary offensive message.
Are you talking about the billboard that's says

"All I want to do is skip church. I'm too old for fairy tales."?

You find that offensive? Compared to the verbal bombs some Christians throw at atheists, that is nothing.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:10 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Are you talking about the billboard that's says

"All I want to do is skip church. I'm too old for fairy tales."?

You find that offensive? Compared to the verbal bombs some Christians throw at atheists, that is nothing.
Wow atheists are so prickly and sensitive. Verbal bombs? Our billboards are only telling the truth. This one was carefully designed to antagonize Christians. Disgusting to say the least.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:25 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
Wow atheists are so prickly and sensitive. Verbal bombs? Our billboards are only telling the truth. This one was carefully designed to antagonize Christians. Disgusting to say the least.
Your billboards tell your point of view, which you perceive as truth.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:43 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Unbelievable We point out that you screaming about a billboard stating an admittedly dismissive swipe at religion is hardly justified when we get 'The fool has said in his heart..' type messages about atheism on a regular basis. You don't deny then but claim they are ok because they tell the truth. Well, we say we are telling the truth. So why are you getting so prickly and sensitive?

Old 12-15-2015, 07:38 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Jeff

You are on my ignore list however I still see some of what you wrote when people quote you. So you think that telling people they can still be good without going to church is offensive. I would guess that implies you do not think that a person who does not go to church can be a good person and that a billboard that stated you cannot be a good person without going to church would not be offensive but simply telling the truth. You also stated

Originally Posted by jeffbase40

My comments are :
So the billboard that claims that atheiests are anti American and are traitors is only telling the truth? If not that you were not telling the truth in what is quoted above and in bold. The penalty for treason is imprisionment or during time of war, death. Is that really a truthful statement, you think those who do not believe in your god should be imprisioned or executed? I find the message that it is OK to treat atheiests as the enemy of your country and that they do not deserve to be live free as a disgusting message however you claim it is only telling the truth. And the atheists billboard was not telling the truth? One can only be a good person going to a church on Christmas so that not only rules out atheists who are not going to church simply to please a family member or the community but also all non Christians and JW members. And you most likely cannot see that as an offensive comment.

You have in the past stated that you thought that atheists were trying to outlaw Christianity but you stated that the billboards that advocate imprisioning atheists is only telling the truth. Who is the one that whats to use the law to outlaw the other side, us who do not want it or your side that makes billboards advocating it. I am sorry but if you are offended by a billboard aimed at fellow atheists you are the one that is thin skinned, and if you see nothing offensive about telling a person due to their lack of belief that they are not really a citizen of their own country and belong in jail then you are wrong.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:47 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Unbelievable We point out that you screaming about a billboard stating an admittedly dismissive swipe at religion is hardly justified when we get 'The fool has said in his heart..' type messages about atheism on a regular basis. You don't deny then but claim they are ok because they tell the truth. Well, we say we are telling the truth. So why are you getting so prickly and sensitive?
Much as I'm tempted to suggest it is, Jeff's reaction is not unique to religion or to fundamentalism, simply more prevalent there. I've seen it in politics too. In a recent online exchange in a politics discussion, "poster B" expressed that they disagreed with "poster A" and stated the reasons why. Poster A's response was that they resent being "disrespected" and "pressured to abandon their position". They even snuck in a name-calling accusation when in fact no names were called.

This confusing of simple disagreement with hatred, persecution, and personal annihilation seemingly cant' be reasoned with. To folks like Jeff, in and outside the church, everyone who doesn't believe as he does, hates him and is out to get him.

That is why it's okay for his folks to put up a billboard, "The fool has said in his heart, there is no god" but it's not okay for us to put one up saying "You don't have to go to church if you don't want to". It's helped, I supposed by special pleading for god ("we're just quoting god's word, but you're undermining god's word that commands us to not forsake the assembling of ourselves together"). But stripped of all the dogma all it really is, is another point of view.

Stripping it of all the dogma is something Jeff isn't capable of doing though; to do so, he'd have to stand aside from his beliefs and not see his point of view as endorsed by god and ours endorsed by Satan.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:21 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Much as I'm tempted to suggest it is, Jeff's reaction is not unique to religion or to fundamentalism, simply more prevalent there. I've seen it in politics too. In a recent online exchange in a politics discussion, "poster B" expressed that they disagreed with "poster A" and stated the reasons why. Poster A's response was that they resent being "disrespected" and "pressured to abandon their position". They even snuck in a name-calling accusation when in fact no names were called.

This confusing of simple disagreement with hatred, persecution, and personal annihilation seemingly cant' be reasoned with. To folks like Jeff, in and outside the church, everyone who doesn't believe as he does, hates him and is out to get him.

That is why it's okay for his folks to put up a billboard, "The fool has said in his heart, there is no god" but it's not okay for us to put one up saying "You don't have to go to church if you don't want to". It's helped, I supposed by special pleading for god ("we're just quoting god's word, but you're undermining god's word that commands us to not forsake the assembling of ourselves together"). But stripped of all the dogma all it really is, is another point of view.

Stripping it of all the dogma is something Jeff isn't capable of doing though; to do so, he'd have to stand aside from his beliefs and not see his point of view as endorsed by god and ours endorsed by Satan.
The difference is the intent. This billboard was designed to take a dump on a treasured Christian holiday and provoke a reaction. Now let's say I live in a community that is 90% atheist and atheists have their own celebration day. Then I put up a big billboard saying "Godless celebration today! Celebrate your path to Hell!" I would expect similar negative reaction from the community. I would actually feel it would be too disrespectful to display the message.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:24 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,880 times
Quote:
The difference is the intent. This billboard was designed to take a dump on a treasured Christian holiday and provoke a reaction. Now let's say I live in a community that is 90% atheist and atheists have their own celebration day. Then I put up a big billboard saying "Godless celebration today! Celebrate your path to Hell!" I would expect similar negative reaction from the community. I would actually feel it would be too disrespectful to display the message.
Yes, Jeff, telling people they are going to hell is the same as telling people they can be good people without going to church. Yea, exactly the same. EXACTLY.

I swear, you guys apparently do not understand hypocrisy, or idiocy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality