Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 09:24 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

"You know what, that Christian person actually made a good point!"
You want someone to say this to YOU despite not having yet made a good point. My Dad was Catholic. He made good points all the time. About faith and the teachings of the bible as metaphors of god's love. I did not agree with him. But his points were ok with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 09:32 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
You want someone to say this to YOU despite not having yet made a good point. My Dad was Catholic. He made good points all the time. About faith and the teachings of the bible as metaphors of god's love. I did not agree with him. But his points were ok with me.
Yea, saying that would mean that there was a good point made. Jeff has yet to make one. There are many believers on this very site that make good points daily, and some of us acknowledge them. We may not agree, but we acknowledge it. Jeff does nothing but cry about persecution where there is none. There is not good point for him to make.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:33 AM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Hey I'm certainly fallible and can be wrong about things, but wrong 100% in every single sentence I write? It doesn't matter what I post. Your side will always argue with me. And the same for every other Christian who defends the faith? That's not an honest position.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:40 AM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
That is actually not true for the vase majority of atheists. Show us some INFORMATION that demonstrates wrong, and to hot damn, we will admit we are wrong.
Ok, admit that you are wrong in claiming that the Bible is garbage. Otherwise, the onus is on you to show me why verses like this are GARBAGE:

Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs. Proverbs 10:12

The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7

This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. 17 If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? 18 Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:16-17

The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these." Mark 12:31

Old 12-16-2015, 09:40 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Hey I'm certainly fallible and can be wrong about things, but wrong 100% in every single sentence I write? It doesn't matter what I post. Your side will always argue with me. And the same for every other Christian who defends the faith? That's not an honest position.
Say something sensible instead of constantly whining about imaginary persecution and people will agree with you.

Try it sometime.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:44 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,768,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Of course. I have Jesus to intercede for me. Despite the lies you accuse me of, I'm never going to tell anyone on this board or in real life that they will go to hell--because as long as they live, that can change.
You do not really portray the image of Christ to be honest.
Because people like you, alot of people decide to leave church.
What is the difference? Even though you go to church, you are still nasty (or even nastier).

Old 12-16-2015, 09:45 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,880 times
Quote:
Ok, admit that you are wrong in claiming that the Bible is garbage. Otherwise, the onus is on you to show me why verses like this are GARBAGE:

The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7

This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. 17 If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? 18 Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:16-17

The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these." Mark 12:31
Maybe you guys should follow this advice, huh? You certainly don't love your neighbor, unless of course, he is a good Christian neighbor. You show hate towards your gay, Muslim, and atheist, neighbors.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:49 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times
Quote:

I don't think anyone is trying to say that there is nothing worth listening to in the Bible or that every last verse is "garbage."

I'm reasonably certain that calling it "garbage" was an extremely general statement especially in so far as it being the inerrant Word of God or an accurate portrayal of historical events.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:57 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
I could cherry pick my quotes too. But I won't.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:58 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Maybe you guys should follow this advice, huh? You certainly don't love your neighbor, unless of course, he is a good Christian neighbor. You show hate towards your gay, Muslim, and atheist, neighbors.

Also include Christians who are not fundamentalists on that list. A fair amount of animostity has been shown against those of a more liberal view of their Christianity and therefore agreeing with them is still being against Christians according to that mindset.

But this is what Jeff supports against atheists and has stated is just telling the truth to say that. Remember he said those signs were just telling the truth

Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.
(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 807; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(2)(J), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2148.)
Historical and Revision NotesBased on title 18, U.S.C., 1940 ed., §§ 1, 2 (Mar. 4, 1909, ch. 321, §§ 1, 2, 35 Stat. 1088).
Section consolidates sections 1 and 2 of title 18, U.S.C., 1940 ed.
The language referring to collection of the fine was omitted as obsolete and repugnant to the more humane policy of modern law which does not impose criminal consequences on the innocent.
The words “every person so convicted of treason” were omitted as redundant.
Minor change was made in phraseology.

Amendments1994—Pub. L. 103–322 inserted “under this title but” before “not less than $10,000”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality