Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 08:33 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
So why are you getting so prickly and sensitive?
Fundamentalists have a very low tolerance for other people's beliefs. The most strident have no tolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 08:35 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The difference is the intent. This billboard was designed to take a dump on a treasured Christian holiday and provoke a reaction. Now let's say I live in a community that is 90% atheist and atheists have their own celebration day. Then I put up a big billboard saying "Godless celebration today! Celebrate your path to Hell!" I would expect similar negative reaction from the community. I would actually feel it would be too disrespectful to display the message.
I wonder what the intent behind the sign calling atheists traitors was?

I'm sure it was a message of love, respect and kindness.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:40 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Yes, Jeff, telling people they are going to hell is the same as telling people they can be good people without going to church. Yea, exactly the same. EXACTLY.

I swear, you guys apparently do not understand hypocrisy, or idiocy.

And telling people they are going to Hell is not as offensive as the atheists are anti American and are guilty of treason. Personally I would find a sign in Jeff's scenario that said On Godless Day come to Church and be with God totally unoffensive and that is more of a parallel than the going to hell sign as the billboard that he put on his OP did not say anything about not going to church or that there is no God.

To all those who think like Jeff: We are not enemies, we simply do not want you to push your religious beliefs into the laws of the land. In Alberta it is still legal to have the Lord's Prayer said in classtime, not in all of Canada but in AB and SK. But I think those anti atheists billboards would offend most people around here, the buring in Hell or being a traitor ones I mean. How can anyone defend the calling for non believers to be treated as traitors?

Old 12-15-2015, 08:41 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Fundamentalists have a very low tolerance for other people's beliefs. The most strident have no tolerance.
Are you talking about the Religious Fundies or the Atheist Fundies...or the generic CrankAFundie Fundies like me?
I don't care what anyone believes...I am a Equal Opportunity CrankAFundie fundamentalist...so they are all in my wheelhouse.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:42 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,932 times
I think you're misunderstanding the American Atheists. I haven't read all 7 billion posts in this thread; but commenting on the last few and the first few, it seems that you are not drawing a distinction between new atheism and atheism.

The distinction is simple, new atheists not only believe religion is wrong; they believe it is damaging. David Silverman is a new atheist. He believes that religion is damaging.

Now, I can sympathize with you in that I do believe the sign is going to be offensive to Christians and I'm absolutely sure whoever designed it was well aware of this fact too.
I don't think it's nearly as bad as "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL" is... One is suggesting you don't need Christianity to be a good person, the other is suggesting if you don't have Christianity you're going to be burning in hell for eternity.

You've got to realize that rational people don't accept or believe this Christian dogma. You can not hold it over them as though your truth is their absolute truth as well. If that is a stance you want to take, it needs to be well founded; not riddled with contradictions and lack of evidence.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:47 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
And telling people they are going to Hell is not as offensive as the atheists are anti American and are guilty of treason. Personally I would find a sign in Jeff's scenario that said On Godless Day come to Church and be with God totally unoffensive and that is more of a parallel than the going to hell sign as the billboard that he put on his OP did not say anything about not going to church or that there is no God.

To all those who think like Jeff: We are not enemies, we simply do not want you to push your religious beliefs into the laws of the land. In Alberta it is still legal to have the Lord's Prayer said in classtime, not in all of Canada but in AB and SK. But I think those anti atheists billboards would offend most people around here, the buring in Hell or being a traitor ones I mean. How can anyone defend the calling for non believers to be treated as traitors?
Absolutely. Somehow, Jeff seems to think that simply putting a sign up that tells people it is okay not to go church is somehow offensive, yet putting a sign up telling people to come to church or burn in hell is perfectly fine. I don't know how these guys can say that with a straight face. Anyone with a working brain can see a difference between, be a good person, and burn in hell.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:49 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Says the atheists who demands that the Gideon Bible be removed from their sight ( oh wait it's not in sight, it's in a closed drawer) in hotel rooms. Yeah such tolerance for your camp.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:58 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,932 times
Quote:
Says the atheists who demands that the Gideon Bible be removed from their sight ( oh wait it's not in sight, it's in a closed drawer) in hotel rooms. Yeah such tolerance for your camp.
Is there such a thing as justified intolerance?

Old 12-15-2015, 08:59 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Absolutely. Somehow, Jeff seems to think that simply putting a sign up that tells people it is okay not to go church is somehow offensive, yet putting a sign up telling people to come to church or burn in hell is perfectly fine. I don't know how these guys can say that with a straight face. Anyone with a working brain can see a difference between, be a good person, and burn in hell.
Did you even read my post? Even if I agree with the message, I don't think an anti-atheist billboard is appropriate if it offends a lot of people. The intention should be to show the truth, not offend people. Course, if you find Christianity as a whole offensive, that's your own problem! Tell an atheist to turn or burn doesn't accomplish anything.

A sign that promotes anti-church in such a fashion offends a lot of people on the high end and promotes the degradation of the church on the low end which is horrible for society.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:59 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times
Quote:
So you are saying atheism is a religion now? I thought it was just non-belief. So what is this speech you want to protect for atheists?
The courts have consistently ruled that atheism is considered a religion for the purposes of protecting it under the 1st Amendment "freedom of speech" and "freedom of religion" clauses.

This had to be done to protect US from people like YOU who would ban us, censor us, and do everything in their power to strip us of our rights. As I said -- and as an entire thread said -- even an Alabama supreme court judge claimed that atheists have no Constitutional rights. A former U.S. president even said atheists weren't American citizens.

This is serious business, Jeff ... and since the media has pretty much already elected Trump, and since Trump is crowing about banning Muslims and building a wall, who the hell knows what the religious right will convince him to do about atheists.

Like it or not, Jeff, you're the kind of Christian that causes all of the other Christians to say, "We're not all like that."

You don't like the billboard. Too bad. Because I've seen enough smack said and written about atheism to last two lifetimes -- including some rather nasty billboards. And guess what. Yeah. You don't see we atheists throwing a colossal hissy fit demanding that the Christian right to free speech be curtailed. But when an atheist does it, just once, on a single billboard, the damn NEWS shows up to cover the story, much less having every fascist in the vicinity crawling out of their churches to express how we shouldn't even be allowed to express anti-religious thoughts.

In a way, your over-the-top objection to this billboard is helping me prove my case about the dangers of theological fascism in this country -- and how it is alive and well.

Quote:
The problem is you want to see the laws favor your own brand of ideology which is extremely hostile to religion.
Wrong. The laws are already in place -- and they've been in place for over 250 years. We're just making sure those laws are now enforced, something that is long overdue.

Now, do I particularly care if there are Bibles in a government-run hotel room? No, not really. But someone did and made the hotel obey the law. If you understood the Constitution, you would realize that none of the laws we cite are new ones; we atheists have NOT lobbied congress to pass a plethora of new pro-atheist laws that are now suddenly being enforced.

Nope. Atheists don't have that kind of political clout. We don't have an army of well-paid lobbyists floating around Capitol Hill trying to influence the direction of politics to favor our religion. No, that's YOUR arena (which is why your church, as well as all the rest of them, ought to be paying taxes). If atheism wins a case, it's because religion had been violating the Constitution even before the ink was dry.

Quote:
Christian fascism? Can you even give one example how Christians are being fascists?
Fundamentalists are fascists all the time. They are CONSTANTLY trying to enact fascistic rules and laws, most of which never make the news unless it's a very local story. As an employee of a county library in a small southern town myself and my colleagues had to deal with Christians on a daily basis trying to get books banned or removed from the shelves. There's an organization called One Million Moms which has a website consisting of dozens upon dozens upon dozens of pages listing various television programs, commercials, signs, and other forms of communication that they want banned, pulled off the air, or taken down. All of these media expressions somehow violated some religious sensitivity, taboo, or commandment and thus had to be squashed. One commercial was even accused of blasphemy and thus had to be banned. Blasphemy? Are we in Saudi Arabia now?

It's gotten so bad that the Southern Poverty Law Center have even declared several Christian organizations "hate groups" for their efforts at demonizing both gays and atheists.

You have no idea how often your fundamentalist pals try to stomp on everyone else's freedoms. I, myself, have had several personal experiences with Christian fascism as they tried to ban everything from the teen dances we had every weekend at the firehall to our damn senior prom. Music and dancing just aren't allowed. A Christian group picketed the local bookstore when a new Harry Potter book came out saying the usual crap about exposing children to the evils of sorcery and witchcraft. They even had a book burning party that would have made the Nazis proud.

You ask me when have Christians been fascists? I could write a book about that, Jeff. And it would have a lot of pages.

And let's not forget the little tiff I had with Vizio because he, too, was so offended over atheist signage at a Nativity scene that he said our message about not having to go to church should be censored -- because children might see it. One would think that the atheists were espousing murder, rape, and pillaging instead of letting an America smothered by Christianity know that there ARE other choices.

But Vizio, obviously, doesn't WANT the children to know there are other choices, that Christianity isn't the ONLY path available to them. I don't even think he wants adults to know that ... much less a sign that signals to every closeted atheist in town that they aren't alone.

Now here you are pitching a fit because atheists had the temerity, the audacity, the unmitigated gall to rent a billboard and present an atheist message to those who drive by. How dare they!

And ... to be completely blunt, I'm more than fed up with the number of times right here on this forum that we atheists were told that "this is the Religion and Spirituality forum" and that we should be confined to posting ONLY in the Agnostic and Atheist sub-forum. Thus, even here, atheists are subjected to Christian theological fascism in that we're not even "allowed" to challenge religion in an open forum about religion.

Because people like you want Christianity to be the only voice anyone ever hears.

Quote:
You should be free to share your beliefs, but you should also learn to respect other people's beliefs. This billboard was an unnecessary offensive message.
Well, sorry to say, but that train left the station a long time ago.

The fact that the religious right has vilified atheists so much that we're now the most hated, least trusted group in America has pretty much absolved us of any responsibility or moral imperative to play nice. After all, why should we when obviously fundamentalists do not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality