Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 07:46 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,918,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Have no idea about the Catholic church and how they determine sainthood. From what I just read and heard on news it takes a very long time to make a determination on who is or wasn't a saint. Deal not done yet. The venom in your post is amazing as if she did become a saint it would be injuring you in some way. People believe in many strange ideas like incest,abortion,pedophilia. Hopefully you see these things in the same way you do this old woman. Think maybe religion just gets under your skin.
Or maybe if you actually read the article, you would agree that this person is anything but saintly. She encouraged suffering from the dying, mistreated them, use unsterilized needles, had them lie in their own feces, and you want to call this person saintly?

Please read the academic article and understand why this person is anything but a saint. Don't let the popular propaganda influence you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 07:56 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Have you noticed none of what you call slam threads are not opinion, but all factual issues which I always document as to source?

I can't help that there is a target rich environment of misdeeds in the religious world out there, can I? Would you rather it be ignored? Buried? Denied?

Just like Jeff Warren's misdeeds? Or priests who abuse young boys? Is it better to hide these things?

Why?
Oh, com'on. "Target rich"....what a joke!
You wanna see really bad stuff? Check out what members of rival gangs do to each other every day. Black on Black crime in U.S. inner cities.
Are you going to purport the people in churches commonly act worse than the people in gangs?!
Or you could even say every person that lives anything above a low-middle class lifestyle (I'm sure most on this board) while they know thousands of children a day starve to death because they don't have 3 five cent bowls of rice are horribly selfish, greedy, and evil. We buy a third flat-screen or jewelry, $20 cocktails at restaurants, and obesity is epidemic...while others starve to death?! How rotten is THAT?!
Nope! You have a bigtime headtrip about Religion and Religious people...and search for negative things to say in a way I bet you don't say about anything else.
I'm not saying Religion does not motivate negative deeds. Some of the worse stuff in the world is instigated by religion. But you don't harp about KSM or al-Baghdadi....you slam Mother Theresa!!

Old 12-19-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Oh, com'on. "Target rich"....what a joke!
You wanna see really bad stuff? Check out what members of rival gangs do to each other every day. Black on Black crime in U.S. inner cities.
Are you going to purport the people in churches commonly act worse than the people in gangs?!
Or you could even say every person that lives anything above a low-middle class lifestyle (I'm sure most on this board) while they know thousands of children a day starve to death because they don't have 3 five cent bowls of rice are horribly selfish, greedy, and evil. We buy a third flat-screen or jewelry, $20 cocktails at restaurants, and obesity is epidemic...while others starve to death?! How rotten is THAT?!
Nope! You have a bigtime headtrip about Religion and Religious people...and search for negative things to say in a way I bet you don't say about anything else.
I'm not saying Religion does not motivate negative deeds. Some of the worse stuff in the world is instigated by religion. But you don't harp about KSM or al-Baghdadi....you slam Mother Theresa!!
You bet I slam Mother Teresa. She scammed most the world in believing she was an instrument of good, when really she was an instrument of evil.

Did you actually read the academic paper that I posted?

Old 12-19-2015, 08:06 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Or maybe if you actually read the article, you would agree that this person is anything but saintly. She encouraged suffering from the dying, mistreated them, use unsterilized needles, had them lie in their own feces, and you want to call this person saintly?

Please read the academic article and understand why this person is anything but a saint. Don't let the popular propaganda influence you.
Didn't need to read the articles. I wasn't a follower of motherTeresa. What she did,may not have done,right,wrong,mean,loving has no bearing on any of us. Your not into the world of religion and your not paying taxs to support them. Your mean spirited plain and simple.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:44 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,553 times
Do you have a link to an academic paper with bibliography in English? I do not speak and read French. Just English and bad English.

This is not an academic paper. It is a newsletter article. It speaks about Hitchens, without linking or giving something I can read from Hitchens. The writer is a press attache?

Old 12-19-2015, 08:55 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Do you have a link to an academic paper with bibliography in English? I do not speak and read French. Just English and bad English.

This is not an academic paper. It is a newsletter article. It speaks about Hitchens, without linking or giving something I can read from Hitchens. The writer is a press attache?
This. The newsletter article also did not state anything about used needles or feces.

You would probably create a better discussion if you didn't use hyperbole. The academic paper may be spot on, but we can't tell. A good discussion should also include more than one source, but this is CD, so I understand that is asking a lot.

And I would expect a Sister to have hard line views on contraceptives, abortion, and divorce. That is separate from the question of how her houses were run, but since you brought it up...

Old 12-19-2015, 09:01 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times
If you agree with the article, do you agree with what it said here?...

"... Serge Larivée and his colleagues point out the positive effect of the Mother Teresa myth: “If the extraordinary image of Mother Teresa conveyed in the collective imagination has encouraged humanitarian initiatives that are genuinely engaged with those crushed by poverty, we can only rejoice. It is likely that she has inspired many humanitarian workers whose actions have truly relieved the suffering of the destitute and addressed the causes of poverty and isolation without being extolled by the media.,.”

And, if you do agree, why go out of your way to destroy it, myth or not?

Old 12-19-2015, 09:05 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Funny thing..... I was just thinking that there hadn't been a "Mother Teresa was a bad person" thread on CD lately. You came through with flying colors, cupper!

p.s. I take anti-Mother Teresa articles with a grain of salt. When she started her work in Calcutta no one was doing anything to help people who were dying horrid deaths alone and on the streets in India. Her efforts were revolutionary. There are now sisters from the order she established working all over world. Mother Teresa-bashing is easy. Taking care of the sick and the dying....not so much.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Funny thing..... I was just thinking that there hadn't been a "Mother Teresa was a bad person" thread on CD lately. You came through with flying colors, cupper!

p.s. I take anti-Mother Teresa articles with a grain of salt. When she started her work in Calcutta no one was doing anything to help people who were dying horrid deaths alone and on the streets in India. Her efforts were revolutionary. There are now sisters from the order she established working all over world. Mother Teresa-bashing is easy. Taking care of the sick and the dying....not so much.
The problem is that, Mother Teresa did not, take care of the sick and dying. She warehousing them, and raised funds under false pretenses going around the world and obtain them from questionable people like the dictator Duvalier and then use those funds not to improve the warehouse thing of the dying, but build religious buildings to increase her order.

Now people that are not happy that this is an anti Mother Teresa thread, however no one can point out that anything that the article says, or that the video I posted, or what I said, is factually incorrect. Those that are opposing the perspective I'm presenting are doing so solely on either the propaganda that was fed to them, or out of emotion.

Show me factually or what is being presented is wrong, and I will gladly accept that. In the meantime, please deal with the facts not your emotions.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
If you agree with the article, do you agree with what it said here?...

"... Serge Larivée and his colleagues point out the positive effect of the Mother Teresa myth: “If the extraordinary image of Mother Teresa conveyed in the collective imagination has encouraged humanitarian initiatives that are genuinely engaged with those crushed by poverty, we can only rejoice. It is likely that she has inspired many humanitarian workers whose actions have truly relieved the suffering of the destitute and addressed the causes of poverty and isolation without being extolled by the media.,.”

And, if you do agree, why go out of your way to destroy it, myth or not?
Why destroy the image? Because myths should not be perpetuated. Only facts should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality