Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 01:26 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times

Advertisements

Jesus directly instructed the disciples NOT to take titles, father, master, or teacher, but Jesus words have been ignored by the church .
It is wrong to elevate people with titles, among believers.
The disciples were called to make other disciple to Jesus, not to them selves.
But suppose if Jesus lordship means little to you, none of what He said matters. make up your own rules.
Just keep in mind God does not have to honor them. Matthew 7;21,22,23,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 02:40 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I think so too.

I get being disappointed at learning that a "hero," so to speak, had negative points (or points that a lot of people would consider negative) swept under the rug.And I honest to goodness do understand that it's important to tell a whole story, a real story, not just the good parts.

But I think ALL heroes have these negative points. Even the most amazing person out there. We all do what we can do, or what we feel comfortable doing. And this woman did a heck of a lot and obviously NOT just what was comfortable. For her or for anybody. And as compared to what even the most altruistic people throughout history, this woman gave literally her life/lifestyle and lived in squalor, for decades. That is so much more than anyone I have ever known would really be able to do.

Dirty needles, etc...that's what she had. She was working with what she had. Plus her ultra-Christian (no surprise there, she was a nun) views. She did what she could even during a few crises of faith so significant that apparently at points she doubted even the existence of God. Yet she kept going. That really is huge. Faults or not, IMO that's what makes a hero. Or to put it less dramatically/catch-phrase-y, a person who really is working from the heart and really wants to make a difference.

To me knowing MT was imperfect is actually heartening. When you hear a story like hers you feel so far removed from it. "Well, I could never be like her, I never will be, period...so I may as well not try." To me, stories of heroes who had their very negative points, or who screwed up, or whatever the case may be, gives me hope because those mean one doesn't have to be perfect in order to make a difference...so why not try.
You show great wisdom here JerZ. I always knew you were wise..even from back years ago when we would joke back and forth by DM...but this is special. You "get it".

Old 12-19-2015, 04:05 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I don't know a whole lot about Mother Teresa, but I do remember a story about someone who remembers seeing her sitting by a dying woman picking maggots out of the woman's wounds. Doesn't sound evil to me. I'mean sure she wasn't perfect.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:25 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
You are a Wiccan or other Pagan, then. That's not the same thing. "Witch" is a derogatory term meaning someone who has misused the magic. Or a term from someone who doesn't know better who really means *****.
No, actually, it's not. Wiccans are witches (though not all witches are Wiccan). I do not misuse magic (doing so would violate the Rede and earn a pretty nasty karmic smack-down).

But -- that's not the topic of the thread; send me a message if you want to continue the discussion in a more appropriate setting.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:16 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
The Passion of Mother Teresa
Fr. Aquinas Guilbeau, OP

Old 12-19-2015, 06:02 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
No, actually, it's not. Wiccans are witches (though not all witches are Wiccan). I do not misuse magic (doing so would violate the Rede and earn a pretty nasty karmic smack-down).

But -- that's not the topic of the thread; send me a message if you want to continue the discussion in a more appropriate setting.
The Wiccan Rede /ˈriːd/ is a statement that provides the key moral system in the Neopagan religion of Wicca and certain other related Witchcraft-based faiths. A common form of the Rede is An it harm none, do what ye will. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiccan_Rede

That's what it says in the Satanic Verses/Bible....

Old 12-19-2015, 06:22 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I think so too.

I get being disappointed at learning that a "hero," so to speak, had negative points (or points that a lot of people would consider negative) swept under the rug.And I honest to goodness do understand that it's important to tell a whole story, a real story, not just the good parts.

But I think ALL heroes have these negative points. Even the most amazing person out there. We all do what we can do, or what we feel comfortable doing. And this woman did a heck of a lot and obviously NOT just what was comfortable. For her or for anybody. And as compared to what even the most altruistic people throughout history, this woman gave literally her life/lifestyle and lived in squalor, for decades. That is so much more than anyone I have ever known would really be able to do.

Dirty needles, etc...that's what she had. She was working with what she had. Plus her ultra-Christian (no surprise there, she was a nun) views. She did what she could even during a few crises of faith so significant that apparently at points she doubted even the existence of God. Yet she kept going. That really is huge. Faults or not, IMO that's what makes a hero. Or to put it less dramatically/catch-phrase-y, a person who really is working from the heart and really wants to make a difference.

To me knowing MT was imperfect is actually heartening. When you hear a story like hers you feel so far removed from it. "Well, I could never be like her, I never will be, period...so I may as well not try." To me, stories of heroes who had their very negative points, or who screwed up, or whatever the case may be, gives me hope because those mean one doesn't have to be perfect in order to make a difference...so why not try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You show great wisdom here JerZ. I always knew you were wise..even from back years ago when we would joke back and forth by DM...but this is special. You "get it".
i agree.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:44 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
i agree.
So do I...

Old 12-19-2015, 07:32 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
i agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
So do I...
There ya go.
Anybody that needs proper, insightful, and wise perspective on this issue...needs nothing but to read Post #36 by JerZ.
But it went beyond that. It spoke to a greater understanding....that no matter how good anyone is, they are still human, and no one is flawless. But we can be inspired by this, not put off, discouraged, or dejected.
It is certainly one of the top offerings to this board I've ever read. I bookmarked it....it's that good.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:10 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Hook. Line. Sinker.

Many have swallowed the lie that Mother Theresa was saintly. She was anything but; instead she was a callous witch who cavorted with devils like the dictator Duvalier. She prothlisized that those dying must suffer, and did nothing to ease that suffering.

Shame on the Catholic church for elevating her as a "saint".

Below, an ACADEMIC paper on the horrible scam she perpetuated on the world.

Mother Teresa: anything but a saint... - UdeMNouvelles

Umm WOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality