Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 07:20 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
LOL, would, would it matter? Anybody can look up studies to prove anything they wanted.
BUT, do they understand enough about survey/stats to know what is reliable and valid?

Making a statements such as you just made, would suggest that you have no idea how surveys or studies need to be compiled to be accepted as valid and legitimate.

But that's okay.

Many fundamentalist would rather be told what to think rather than how to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 10:36 AM

23,165 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
BUT, do they understand enough about survey/stats to know what is reliable and valid?

Making a statements such as you just made, would suggest that you have no idea how surveys or studies need to be compiled to be accepted as valid and legitimate.

But that's okay.

Many fundamentalist would rather be told what to think rather than how to think.
Why do you call me a fundamentalist?

I believe in the big bang, I believe in evolution, does that sound like a fundy?

Old 01-01-2016, 12:56 PM

People will believe whatever study they want to believe in. It's like the climate studies where everyone points fingers saying they have facts to support their supposed fact, and people just go along and say,'' Fact.''

I don't think your study is here or there, it just depends on what you want to believe just as it is with studies on Atheists or new Theists or whatever. The studies paint quite a bleak picture of Atheists but I wouldn't expect you Atheists to believe those are the facts. I wouldn't come in here with one of those studies trying to put every Atheist in a box labeled,'' Narcassist, sociopath, angry ego maniac.''

I just don't believe that's the truth even if I put ten different studies, I think those studies are biased either way. One person sets out to prove religious people are stupid, and one person is biased in his study trying to make Atheists and Theists look like soulless monsters.

If I wanted to be mean, if I just wanted to offend, yeah, I would put study after study up and laugh at Atheists all day, but I am not angry with Atheists, I am not biased against them, I have no agenda.

It's neither here nor there, you can't put all people in a box and label them all the same and I wonder why somebody would want to.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:44 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
People will believe whatever study they want to believe in. It's like the climate studies where everyone points fingers saying they have facts to support their supposed fact, and people just go along and say,'' Fact.''

I don't think your study is here or there, it just depends on what you want to believe just as it is with studies on Atheists or new Theists or whatever. The studies paint quite a bleak picture of Atheists but I wouldn't expect you Atheists to believe those are the facts. I wouldn't come in here with one of those studies trying to put every Atheist in a box labeled,'' Narcassist, sociopath, angry ego maniac.''

I just don't believe that's the truth even if I put ten different studies, I think those studies are biased either way. One person sets out to prove religious people are stupid, and one person is biased in his study trying to make Atheists and Theists look like soulless monsters.

If I wanted to be mean, if I just wanted to offend, yeah, I would put study after study up and laugh at Atheists all day, but I am not angry with Atheists, I am not biased against them, I have no agenda.

It's neither here nor there, you can't put all people in a box and label them all the same and I wonder why somebody would want to.
You clearly do but understand science. It's not an opinion, it presents the facts. What society does with those facts, including ignoring them, is a different issue. But, once again, science is agnostic on the outcomes of its discoveries

It is also clear you do not understand how legitimate surveys are constructed or why they are valid.

Please try and educate yourself on both.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You clearly do but understand science. It's not an opinion, it presents the facts. What society does with those facts, including ignoring them, is a different issue. But, once again, science is agnostic on the outcomes of its discoveries

It is also clear you do not understand how legitimate surveys are constructed or why they are valid.

Please try and educate yourself on both.

Yes, Yes.{verifying the data} Who else but you is God?

I will try and understand, I will try and educate myself, dang, I am so stupid, I gotta step my game up.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 01-01-2016 at 07:54 PM..

Old 01-02-2016, 02:43 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
I will try and understand, I will try and educate myself, dang, I am so stupid, I gotta step my game up.
Not understanding or being educated in science does not = stupid.

Claiming that you understand science, when you don't = deceptively stupid.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:01 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

There is a great commercial running lately where a guy who tastes wine thinks he knows wine, and he says, "Ah, Pinot Noir -- which means 'peanut of the night' ... ". The look on his date's face is priceless.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:07 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

There is a whole group of folks on here that consider themselves to be wiser than they really are. And the atheists are well-represented within that group. Not being able to articulate some of the finer points of a particular scientific theory does not make one any smarter than my being able to rattle off a bunch of $10 words I learned in Seminary.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:12 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
There is a whole group of folks on here that consider themselves to be wiser than they really are. And the atheists are well-represented within that group. Not being able to articulate some of the finer points of a particular scientific theory does not make one any smarter than my being able to rattle off a bunch of $10 words I learned in Seminary.
Of course it is not a matter of establishing intelligence. Matadora made that abundantly clear:

Quote:
Maybe you didn't read that.

What IS dumb AND disingenuous is making claims and pronouncements about something you don't understand.

Quote:
Maybe you didn't read that, either.

What is even more deceptive is pretending you don't understand what you do because it's unsupportive of your position ... which I see a lot of around here too.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:43 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Of course it is not a matter of establishing intelligence. Matadora made that abundantly clear:

Maybe you didn't read that.

What IS dumb AND disingenuous is making claims and pronouncements about something you don't understand.
And the religion and Christianity boards are plagued with atheists that do that daily.
Quote:

Maybe you didn't read that, either.

What is even more deceptive is pretending you don't understand what you do because it's unsupportive of your position ... which I see a lot of around here too.
Perhaps. And I think there are also some in the atheist camp that do that, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality