Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 08:41 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times

Advertisements

I just want to know if my views on a deity is more agnostic or atheistic in essence.

I don't believe in a god. I think his existence is highly unlikely. But I can't say that I "know" that deities doesn't exist. I have no knowledge on that. However, the gods that humans have written about (Abrahamic, Hindu, Sikh) definitely don't exist. I believe that we made them up the same way we made up fairies, elves and santa. With that being said, I can't say that a deistic god is certainly nonexistent.

So what do these views make me within the agnostic-atheist scale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 08:42 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Look up the definition of both words on google then choose your own label.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:47 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Look up the definition of both words on google then choose your own label.
I have been doing that for 7 years. It has always been a blur to me. Their definitions seem one-sided.

Atheist: Belief that no god exists.
Agnostic: You don't believe or disbelieve in a god. More specifically, the "belief" that you don't know, or you're unsure, that a deity exists.

Both definitions don't really fit me that well.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:51 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I just want to know if my views on a deity is more agnostic or atheistic in essence.

I don't believe in a god. I think his existence is highly unlikely. But I can't say that I "know" that deities doesn't exist. I have no knowledge on that. However, the gods that humans have written about (Abrahamic, Hindu, Sikh) definitely don't exist. I believe that we made them up the same way we made up fairies, elves and santa. With that being said, I can't say that a deistic god is certainly nonexistent.

You are an agnostic atheist.

Atheist = the absence of belief in any gods
Agnosticism = the absence of a knowledge claim about gods.

Atheism is a belief claim, agnosticism is a knowledge claim.

Gnostic theist = most god believers claim to know that a particular god (always theirs) is the true god.
Agnostic theist = what you probably were thinking of when you used the word "agnostic". A god believer who is not sure who the true god is, or if there is any god. Or if they haven't thought things through to the meta level that asks whether the very CONCEPT of god makes sense, maybe a believer in the Christian god with serious doubts.
Gnostic atheist = an atheist who claims to know that there are no gods. Quite rare, and often if pressed will admit that technically he doesn't REALLY make a knowledge claim; "there is no god" is more of a verbal shorthand.
Agnostic atheist = an atheist who doesn't claim to know, but thinks any gods unlikely and sees no valid reason to believe they exit. Most atheists are agnostics.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:56 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:

Quote:
I have been doing that for 7 years. It has always been a blur to me. Their definitions seem one-sided.

Agnostic: You don't believe or disbelieve in a god. More specifically, the "belief" that you don't know, or you're unsure, that a deity exists.

Looks clear to me.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:57 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:

It's a common misconception. When you think about it, you can't both believe and disbelieve in anything. Belief is afforded, or not, based on the preponderance of evidence you're aware of and the likelihood of a thing being so. Nor is belief voluntary unless you're strenuously working to be willfully ignorant, in which case you can override your brain to an extent (at the expense of cognitive dissonance).

Your definition of what an atheist is, is correct, though.

Atheism is about unbelief, agnosticism is about what you think you know or can be known. Knowledge and belief claims overlap and inform each other, but are not opposite sides of some imaginary coin. See my other post for more detail.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:58 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:

YES----NO----DON'T/CAN'T KNOW......Do you believe any God Exists?
YES---You are Theist.
NO--- You are Atheist.
Don't/Can't Know--- You are Agnostic

Old 01-04-2016, 08:59 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:

I don't understand labels that are created for things that don't exist.

For example many grow up believing in a Tooth Fairy, Santa Clause, and Easter Bunny as well as monsters and Super Hero's.

Once we grow up and realize these are not real characters then that's the end of it. No label attached to knowing these things are not real.

Why should this be any different for the god myth?

Old 01-05-2016, 01:13 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:

If you have no belief in gods then you are atheist.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:55 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,645,802 times
Quote:

I believe your views as above are that of a rational atheist or rational non-theist.

Rational:
hold propositions to be knowledge [facts, truths] based on verifiable, repeatable, testable and justifiable evidence but not based on 100% absolute certainty.
Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality.
Bertrand Russell, Am I An Atheist Or An Agnostic? (1947), "Don't Be Too Certain!"

The scientist believes in proof without certainty, the bigot in certainty without proof.
Ashley Montagu, Ashley Montagu (ed.), Science and Creationism (1984), Introduction, 9
Atheist/non-theist:
One who is indifferent to any belief in a God.

Therefore you are a rational atheist or rational non-theist.

I do not prefer the term 'agnostic' which has a wide variety of interpretations which include one is 50/50 on a belief in God and a small nudge [usually with emotional and psychological biasness] will push one to become a theist.
Many reputable scientists [e.g. Dawkins] and philosophers [e.g. Russell] claimed to be agnostic due to humility that no one can be 100%. But such a concession is being exploited by the hardcore theists.
The problem is that minute sliver of 0.0000 ..1% possibility that God could exist within agnosticism provide a very high confidence for theists to bang on their God exists.

I would regard myself as a rational/critical non-theist.
Within a soundly established Critical Philosophical Framework and System I am 100% certain it is impossible for God to exists as real. [as supported by sophisticated philosophical arguments]
However from a meta perspective and being rational with humility, the whole framework cannot be 100% certain but holds certainty at 99.999............99%.

For example within the mathematical framework and system, one can be 100% certain, 1+1=2 on a theoretical basis.
But because the whole mathematical framework and system rest on axioms that are co-dependent with the human system, that framework itself from an external point of view cannot have a 100% certainty property.

Last edited by Continuum; 01-05-2016 at 02:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality