Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 08:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

If i ever got to sit down and have a chat with the big guy i'd certainly bring up the question of Whats with all the pain,suffering and needless death? for some one who created the universe you certainly seem to have dropped the ball on your creation of Earth and its people IMO ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 08:32 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
With misbehaving dogs, you have to show dominance. With people who insist on making ad hominem attacks, you must ignore them. I don't have time for your stuff either Rafius. I have every right to my beliefs.
Of course you do my friend...and I would fight shoulder to shoulder alongside you for your right to hold your belief...to the death but what I won't do is allow you to state that the belief you hold is true...unless you can show that it is and so far, you have failed MISERABLY in that. Another thing I won't do is 'respect' the belief you hold.

Quote:
As do you, provided you have the common decency to respect me.
I do respect you. It's the beliefs you hold that I don't respect. To be honest, I couldn't give a fig if you want to believe in fairies, gods, leprechauns etc. All power to you if that is your wish. However, don't expect to be treated as a normal, sane person any more than you would treat someone that tells you that the moon is made of cheese, as a normal, sane person. Don't expect or demand the right to talk about your fairies, gods and leprechauns in public and have me sit quietly. Don't expect my respect for your beliefs because you won't get it. I don't feel obliged to give it. Don't expect a tax write-off because you believe that the fairies live in your garden. Don't talk about your fairy in my work place. Don't try to get laws passed based on what you think your fairy likes and dislikes and don't take any public resources away on behalf of your belief in fairies and leprechauns.

Quote:
If you don't, I'm within rights to ignore you.
By all means ignore me. I don't post here for you. I am under no delusion that my arguments will change your mind....but there are hundred, perhaps thousands of people reading these posts who never make comment and are sitting on the fence of agnosticism. They are my target not indoctrinated theists such as you. I hope that, if I can put forward arguments that are logical, reasonable and supported by verifiable evidence, I might persuade them that god-belief is irrational.

Quote:
The topic is Sick God. Again, will you respond to topic, or you wanna make this about me?
It's not about you. You flatter yourself if you think it's about you. It's about the arguments that you are putting forward.

Last edited by Rafius; 01-15-2016 at 09:03 AM..

Old 01-15-2016, 08:37 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
This isn't mere idle conversation. IT is borderline obsession. Atheists are obsessed with spending large chunks of their day ripping Christians (and ONLY Christians) and our faith apart online. Atheists especially delight in the mockery of Christians at any opportunity. How many times do you mock the Greek gods or Bigfoot huh?

Oh sure, you will say that you feel the need to stamp out ignorance and keep Christians from influencing law and society, but all I see are groups dedicated to tearing down people's faith and forcing them to give up their traditions on the basis of vague terminology in a law. That's becoming the very thing that atheists say they oppose.
Sure, some of it may not be mere "idle conversation", but it is certainly not an obsession. I use this forum, which I enjoy being a part of, to pass the parts of my day where I have nothing pressing to do. I get on here to help my day go by faster. If you notice, I rarely post anything over the weekend, or around holidays. If this were an obsession to me, then I would be posting every day, all the time. Also, I am not an atheist. So try again Jeff.

How often do I mock the Greek gods or Bigfoot? Never. Do you know why, Jeff? The answer is in several of my previous posts on this thread. No one is using Greek gods or Bigfoot to try and pass laws, take away rights, or receive special privileges.

I could not care less about YOUR belief, but when you start trying to force YOUR belief on me and my family, I will start to care. Keeping you from having special privileges and helping with the lessening of the impact of YOUR faith on society is in no way forcing you to give anything up. You are free to practice your religion however you want as long as it does not infringe on others. Same goes for those "others".

Now, back to the topic at hand. All it takes is a cursory glance at your holy book to understand why people think your God is sick.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
An atheist would leave me alone about my beliefs,.....

Old 01-15-2016, 09:16 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Standard operating procedure.

By the way, I did not die in a house fire last night, as I prayed for the Christian God to do

I did wake up with a bit of sinus drainage and coughing, however. Yuck. Maybe God decided on a more gentle smiting.
That's because He's waiting for HIS time to burn your house down and have you die horribly in it.

It's because your prayer wasn't for someone else, it was for you and that's selfish.

God answers every prayer! But sometimes the answer is no. (Insert some sort of kitten meme here)

Did you pray for your horrible fiery death with a PURE heart? Or did selfishness creep in?

Do you already have an intimate relationship with Jesus or do you just expect him to be a genie in a bottle who will pop out and burn you to death any time you want?

Hope I've covered everything!

Old 01-15-2016, 09:59 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
That's because He's waiting for HIS time to burn your house down and have you die horribly in it.

It's because your prayer wasn't for someone else, it was for you and that's selfish.

God answers every prayer! But sometimes the answer is no. (Insert some sort of kitten meme here)

Did you pray for your horrible fiery death with a PURE heart? Or did selfishness creep in?

Do you already have an intimate relationship with Jesus or do you just expect him to be a genie in a bottle who will pop out and burn you to death any time you want?

I hope you feel better now that you got that pent up frustration off your chest.

Why would God burn his house down when, after all, He is at peace with the world and has not been reckoning men's offenses?

Old 01-16-2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
My fave, already taken by some wag:

I told you I was sick.

' I told you I was ill'.

--Spike Milligan.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:02 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
I remember an epithet written by C.S. Lewis about 40 years ago in reading one of his book. It went:

"In memory of Martha Clay
She who once lived for others
Now she has peace
And so have they"

Old 01-16-2016, 07:24 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:

You forgot about hidden sin gumming up the works!

Old 01-16-2016, 07:30 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
Quote:

You left out the Alabama - Clemson game. I prayed for Auburn fans everywhere that Alabama would lose. God denied. Apparently He identifies with the "Crimson Tide". There is some Biblical reference to suggest that this is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality