Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 03:55 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,687,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And your proof that God was created by men is???
No different from all the gods created by other religions since the dawn of time. The inventors of Christianity used concepts from prior belief systems to get more followers onboard. The creators of your god were hoping the monotheism idea would cinch the deal, yet your god is less well received over time. Sadly the creators have defined your god with such stringent confines, there can be no room for enhancement, no god 2.0. At some point your god will go the way of Greek Mythology. Think of the plus side Jeff, once Christianity is deemed to be mythology, it can again be taught in public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 03:59 PM

11,126 posts, read 6,064,105 times
Quote:
Finally, the real question!

Time for a new thread dedicated to this question.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:48 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,028,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post

Yes, the sins of the father, etc. Which, again, makes no sense. If your long ago ancestor was a criminal, are you suspected of being one as well and punished for it? Doesn't everyone deserve to be judged on their own merit? And if God is all powerful, why was Satan allowed in the Garden of Eden in the first place? Was it to test Adam and Eve? If so, that's a setup. And since God knows everything, he already knew that Adam and Eve were going to fail his test. So why even do this? And why create a creation that you already know is going to fail your exacting standards? Just so you have an excuse to make up some elaborate temptation/punishment/(possible) redemption by sacrificing your only son, scheme? It.Makes.No.Sense.
It actually makes perfect sense. Since God is all powerful and He created Satan and He planted the garden and He put the crafty serpent in the garden and He made man flesh knowing full well in advance that the flesh is not able to please God, and we know God knew in advance Adam and Eve would fail the test, then we know it makes perfect sense.
So your question: "why even do this?" Because God, being incomparably wise and loving knew it is what mankind needed to teach them about good and evil. He had to teach them experientially what it is like to be in fellowship with Him and out of fellowship with Him. He needs to teach mankind experientially what it is like to be dying, sinning creatures and what it is like to be saved from being dying, sinning creatures.
It makes perfect sense. Mankind needs to see that there is at least one Person Who really truly cares enough for all mankind to be abused, go to the cross and suffer the shame and ignominy which was heaped upon Him and face death head on in perfect obedience to the Father unlike what Adam did. And He did it all for you, and me and all mankind.

Quote:
I don't believe there is a God, any God. And I believe any belief system that would want us to harm/hurt others in its name is to be avoided. And by harm I specifically mean those who use religion to discriminate against others and those who use religion to impose their own rules on others.
Fortunate for us and for you dear friend, your unbelief does not cause there to be no God. I agree with you concerning your last statements above. It is a shame that some religious nuts cause people to think that all people who believe in God are like those religious nuts. But that is how life is. Guilt by association is the norm. I think there is plenty of blame to go around with the atheists as well, don't you? But I would not use guilt by association by saying all atheists are nut jobs just because some of them are. So we at least agree on that.
I hope you have a nice weekend.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Jeff, you should know by now that they love making things up as they go along. Some of it is just to yank your chain and get a rise out of you. Some of it is just being childish, you know, puerile. Some of it is just done in spite and utter hatred. It is revealing the true nature of some of the hearts of some of the posters.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
And, since Adam and Eve supposedly hadn't originally the knowledge of good and evil, how were they to be able to determine that disobeying God was wrong? This story, like most other stories in the Bible, falls apart under minimal scrutiny.
Actually the historic document concerning what actually occurred has stood the test of time for thousands of years.
For instance, why would they have to have a knowledge of good and evil prior to having the knowledge of good and evil. That is akin to saying a president has to know what it is to be president before he is president.

It was AFTER they sinned their conscience kicked in and they saw they were naked. It is possible they were surrounded by light and didn't see their nakedness and after sinning they lost that light. They knew they shouldn't be disobedient prior to being disobedient. They also knew the consequences to their disobedience but did it anyway.

See, the historic account of Genesis is correct and to be believed.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:11 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,220,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Actually the historic document concerning what actually occurred has stood the test of time for thousands of years.
For instance, why would they have to have a knowledge of good and evil prior to having the knowledge of good and evil. That is akin to saying a president has to know what it is to be president before he is president.

It was AFTER they sinned their conscience kicked in and they saw they were naked. It is possible they were surrounded by light and didn't see their nakedness and after sinning they lost that light. They knew they shouldn't be disobedient prior to being disobedient. They also knew the consequences to their disobedience but did it anyway.

So two people being naked in front of each other ought to elicit conscientious thoughts? Why would that happen? Having a conscience implies they saw something wrong with being naked in front of each other.

These myths get better and better.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,307,385 times
Quote:
Jeff, you should know by now that they love making things up as they go along. Some of it is just to yank your chain and get a rise out of you. Some of it is just being childish, you know, puerile. Some of it is just done in spite and utter hatred. It is revealing the true nature of some of the hearts of some of the posters.
Keep telling yourself this.

Chant it as your mantra.

It will still be untrue.

Until you look in the mirror without flinching.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:00 PM

2,571 posts, read 1,658,192 times
Quote:
It actually makes perfect sense. Since God is all powerful and He created Satan and He planted the garden and He put the crafty serpent in the garden and He made man flesh knowing full well in advance that the flesh is not able to please God, and we know God knew in advance Adam and Eve would fail the test, then we know it makes perfect sense.
So your question: "why even do this?" Because God, being incomparably wise and loving knew it is what mankind needed to teach them about good and evil. He had to teach them experientially what it is like to be in fellowship with Him and out of fellowship with Him. He needs to teach mankind experientially what it is like to be dying, sinning creatures and what it is like to be saved from being dying, sinning creatures.
It makes perfect sense. Mankind needs to see that there is at least one Person Who really truly cares enough for all mankind to be abused, go to the cross and suffer the shame and ignominy which was heaped upon Him and face death head on in perfect obedience to the Father unlike what Adam did. And He did it all for you, and me and all mankind.
It doesn't though. Adam and Eve's descendants would have no idea what they are missing out on, because they did not experience it in the first place. And it makes no sense for an all-powerful creator to create something he already knows cannot live up to his expectations. Why bother when you can make a perfect creation that fulfills all your requirements?

Quote:
Fortunate for us and for you dear friend, your unbelief does not cause there to be no God. I agree with you concerning your last statements above. It is a shame that some religious nuts cause people to think that all people who believe in God are like those religious nuts. But that is how life is. Guilt by association is the norm. I think there is plenty of blame to go around with the atheists as well, don't you? But I would not use guilt by association by saying all atheists are nut jobs just because some of them are. So we at least agree on that.
I hope you have a nice weekend.
Yes, humans are quite capable of doing much good, regardless of their personal belief systems. Hope you also have a nice weekend.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:09 PM

10,104 posts, read 5,774,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
It doesn't though. Adam and Eve's descendants would have no idea what they are missing out on, because they did not experience it in the first place. And it makes no sense for an all-powerful creator to create something he already knows cannot live up to his expectations. Why bother when you can make a perfect creation that fulfills all your requirements?
And what if all possible creation scenarios always results in man becoming sin? What's the alternative, God just never create anything? Maybe God went ahead with creation because despite all the sin and pain, there are still good beautiful things in this life. You act like God owes man everything and that's backwards. God owes us nothing. Man owes God everything. Everything we have is a gift from God. We wouldn't even exist without His hand in creation. Yeah I hate a lot of things in this life. I hate experiencing pain myself, but I will gladly trade a temporary few difficult decades for getting to exist and have eternal life.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:27 AM

11,126 posts, read 6,064,105 times
Quote:

Many more thousand years than you imagine! You do realize the Genesis myth has its origins in ancient Sumeria? . It has been modified a bit though, over time, as myths tend to change over time.

Having myths in your "word of God" is fine if that's what floats your boat but believing a myth to be literally true is ... well, unbelievable to say the least. What other myths do you believe to be fact?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality