Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 12:09 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

In the past, there was certainly a lot discussion by churches that taught the "sin of Odin" as many euphemistically called masturbation, although some included it as sodomy.

One would hope that things are more enlightened now, and that even evangelical church leaders understand that masturbation is a natural activity, both by males and females.

Are there still churches that actively preach against masturbation in today's world? Other than using the biblical suggestions that masturbation should not be done (and that is only, like much else in the bible, an extrapolation), what possible reason would they still preach that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 12:29 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
I was taught a long time ago that masturbation was a waste of seed and that one should rather go to a prostitute. I wonder if that is being taught?

Old 02-08-2016, 02:35 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I was taught a long time ago that masturbation was a waste of seed and that one should rather go to a prostitute. I wonder if that is being taught?
Trying again, after thinking about the subject. It sounds odd to me that one would be taught it's better to go to a prostitute rather than "spilling seed". So impregnating a prostitute is better? I'm pretty sure the Catholic Church still teaches against masturbation, but perhaps not as vocally as it did in the past?

Old 02-08-2016, 04:10 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,576 times
I don't think there's many churches that teach anything on it. Say that word in church, and you'll have the parents coming down on you (aghem!) like a ton of bricks.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:25 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
The last church I went to was absolutely against masturbation, especially in the balcony..

Old 02-08-2016, 09:26 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Really?

So by using the services of a prostitute, the "seed" has a chance to fertilize?

What about the case of vasectomy? Would the church consider it a sin to have been cut, or would it be a waste of "seed" all the way around?

Old 02-08-2016, 09:52 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
The specific sin of Onan was not masturbation, it was premature withdrawal from normal sexual intercourse due to an unwillingness to impregnate his dead brother's wife and "raise up seed" in his dead brother's stead according to the cultural tradition of that day.

It is a stretch to say that ejaculation anywhere but inside a woman whom you have a legitimate right to impregnate is what the point is here, but I suspect this is why masturbation was associated with Onan's "sin".

To my knowledge the Bible never speaks about masturbation, much less prohibits it, so anyone attempting to control masturbation has to jump through some pretty strenuous hoops to justify prohibition Biblically. Appeals must be made to the broader subject of sex in the Bible. One must decry masturbation as "self-centered" and one must cite the short list of specifically "god-approved" sexual contexts, namely, between a man and a woman within marriage. I recall the statement that sexual intercourse itself is not primarily for self-gratification but for gratification of one's spouse (which of course sets up women's "daily duties" quite nicely).

I think what the whole thing boils down to is if you are a Christian and walk in on your teen taking care of themselves ... or you see telltale stains in their bed ... you may feel that you have to Do Something to stop this obsessive and probably perverted "bad habit" because they are obviously fantasizing about something other than deflowering some virtuous Christian virgin on their wedding night, and even then, it's a deplorable lack of self-control.

Sometimes, paradoxically, the way to deal with this kind of thing is to let it be as it is and quit trying to control it. Prohibitions against masturbation accomplish nothing but to perpetuate cycles of guilt and shame and repression around normal healthy human sexuality.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:59 AM

18,495 posts, read 9,161,666 times
My fundamentalist denomuination never explicitly condemned it, but the whole guilt/shame attitude around sexuality certainly cast a negative shadow over it. I certainly had feelings of guilt and shame about it.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:59 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
Promoting masturbation at church doesn't seem to me like a very high priority for people are trying to convince other people about their morality.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:07 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
None of our religious sexperts have chimed in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality