Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 03:24 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Sure.

We've taken in 25,000 Syrian refugees to date. But there's still plenty of room.
Trudeau is GOD...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 03:46 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I don't know, but after driving through the Adirondacks, Alabama has moved further NORTH...

New York City and Buffalo, with too much Alabama in the north...
Man, all this hate for my home state makes me sad.....

Nah! I get it! Believe me, I get it. I am a Bernie Sanders supporter in a sea of Trump supporters, a non believer in a sea of fundies, a rational thinker in a sea of non thinkers.... ehh, you get the picture.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:39 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I don't know, but after driving through the Adirondacks, Alabama has moved further NORTH...

New York City and Buffalo, with too much Alabama in the north...
There's plenty of Alabama between the Thruway and the PA line as well, unfortunately.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
There's plenty of Alabama between the Thruway and the PA line as well, unfortunately.
I really don't understand why a considerable portion of the US of A seems so dead-set against knowledge -- when it's as plain as your nearest Dollar Store that the Chinese/Asians are beating you up, down and sideways on the economic map. And they, and other formerly "3rd-world" nations like India and South Korea are kicking your behinds in tech research, innovation in most fields, and production.

All you lead the world in these days is nukes and citizens killing themselves with guns purchased as easily as candy.

The rest of the world is realizing you're not bringing much to the world stage these days. Not like when you were setting the bar in the late 60s.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I really don't understand why a considerable portion of the US of A seems so dead-set against knowledge -- when it's as plain as your nearest Dollar Store that the Chinese/Asians are beating you up, down and sideways on the economic map. And they, and other formerly "3rd-world" nations like India and South Korea are kicking your behinds in tech research, innovation in most fields, and production.

All you lead the world in these days is nukes and citizens killing themselves with guns purchased as easily as candy.

The rest of the world is realizing you're not bringing much to the world stage these days. Not like when you were setting the bar in the late 60s.
The USA is basically a nation of religious nuts and always has been. Some of the original 13 colonies were actual theocracies (Massachusetts for example). Remember, many of Europe's religious extremists came to the US where they could practice their various brands of craziness without government interference. Ironically, freedom of religion (an enlightenment value embraced by the Founding Fathers) allowed religious extremism to thrive here.

My own former denomination (the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod) is descended from one of these extremist groups. (They refused to be part of the Prussian Union church in Germany, which combined the Lutheran and Reformed churches in Prussia. They couldn't have their pure and perfect Lutheran doctrine polluted with Reformed doctrine that was only 95% in agreement. )

The only reason the USA got into science was the need to win WW2 and the Cold War against the Soviet Union. The whole space program was basically a dick-waving contest with the Godless Communists. We needed Godless Science to defeat the Godless Commies, so we embraced it. But we didn't have many scientists of our own, so we stole them from the Germans after WW2.

The list of Great American Scientists is pretty short. And quite a few of those were born and educated in Europe (Nicola Tesla for example).

Last edited by Freak80; 03-02-2016 at 10:15 PM..

Old 03-03-2016, 09:49 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
More fascism.

Let's forget all about diversity, the separation of church and state, and the freedom FROM religion.

Instead, let's just show people the door.

How about if YOU don't like living in a country where religion has boundaries, YOU can move to a country where it doesn't ... like somewhere controlled by ISIS.
Since you can't get along with anyone other than your ignorant understanding, I suggest you move to antartica and preach to the penguins. But then you might melt the polar ice cap with your hot air.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:10 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Since you can't get along with anyone other than your ignorant understanding, I suggest you move to antartica and preach to the penguins. But then you might melt the polar ice cap with your hot air.
I know *sob* I'm so unpopular *cry* everyone hates me *moan* I couldn't win a friend if I did a strip tease table dance in the middle of a Christian luncheon. *boohoo*

(I bet a lot of Christians would love my hot air if I did THAT.)

Old 03-03-2016, 10:27 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I know *sob* I'm so unpopular *cry* everyone hates me *moan* I couldn't win a friend if I did a strip tease table dance in the middle of a Christian luncheon. *boohoo*

(I bet a lot of Christians would love my hot air if I did THAT.)
No, we would love to see you let go of this anger and poison well that you have against God. Something like this. Hint: You would be the Billy Bob Thorton character.

And it's such a beautiful thing to witness. That beautiful sweet surrender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Qu3dZlRGE

Old 03-03-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
No, we would love to see you let go of this anger and poison well that you have against God. Something like this. Hint: You would be the Billy Bob Thorton character.

And it's such a beautiful thing to witness. That beautiful sweet surrender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Qu3dZlRGE
1.6 billion Muslims would love to see you let go of your anger and poison against Allah, who is the True God. You worship a false god because you are angry at the real God.

It's a beautiful thing to witness someone like you surrender to Allah, the True God.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:02 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
But we didn't have many scientists of our own, so we stole them from the Germans after WW2.
We stole SOME from the Germans. We also got the best: Von Braun. When Uncle Sam determined there weren't enough scientists and engineers to compete in a Cold War world, the government began educating people in science and engineering. With huge numbers of those people coming from the ranks of WWII veterans. Remember.... before the war the country was in the Great Depression. People didn't have the chance to become college-educated scientists. Millions of Americans couldn't afford food much less college. The space program helped correct that. By the time we landed on the moon there were THOUSANDS of home-grown American scientists and engineers working on the space program. Many of whom were, indeed, determined to beat the godless commies.

p.s. As I've told you before.... science and religion peacefully co-existed back then. There were plenty of churches in the areas where the aerospace industry flourished. It also co-exists today. I know an actual nuclear physicist....who is also a deacon in his church. Don't let the fundamentalists make you think all Christians are science deniers who believe the earth is 6,000 years old and Adam walked around with the dinosaurs. It's simply not true.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-03-2016 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality