Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 04:57 PM

83 posts, read 271,316 times

Advertisements

As an ardent atheist, I've been wondering: Why do you religious folk choose to practice YOUR religion as opposed to other religions? What makes you certain of the fact that your religion is correct and all others are wrong?

Please don't simply say something along the lines of "I believe in [insert deity here] because he is all-loving," because that won't answer my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 05:38 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,635,284 times
People choose their religion based on the influence of the family and culture that they are raised in. It isn't like a choice is really being made or some sort of evaluation of religions is taking place, people just tend to conform to their environment. Children want to please their parents and as adults they want to feel like they belong and be a part of their society. Well, I'm an atheist too so what kind of an answer would you expect. Having said that I must admit that I know many Christians who sincerely believe in their faith and I've even heard people say that the fact that their parents and ancestry are associated with Christianity makes it even more important for them to continue the tradition and uphold the faith. It's not something that I relate to but I think it's part of the answer to your question.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:49 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,668,068 times
It's interesting that you ask that question, I am neither Christian, Jew, Islamic, or any of the organized religions, nor am I an atheist, I have a belief, but it is part of my culture, it is something that I have grown up with and live with every day and that has been passed down from generation to generation, you see in my culture there are individuals that have special abilities and talents, or what you would call mystical powers, we can communicate with the spirits and at a very early age my grandfather saw that ability in me and so he took me under his care and taught me are people's ways and I have been doing so ever since.osay

Old 02-09-2008, 10:05 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,200,309 times
I didn't choose my belief in Jesus. He chose me

Old 02-09-2008, 11:49 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
a major healing which doctor's care could not heal.
most people in my faith have come to membership by same means,
some significant healing. "believing" was not a criteria for the healing.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-09-2008 at 11:59 PM..

Old 02-10-2008, 09:02 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,528,814 times
I don't practice any "religion"..Religions are manmade by the many, many different interpretations of the bible, or by handed down cultures, beliefs and rituals..I do follow the gospel (message) of Christ which is very simple and not confusiong to me..

Old 02-10-2008, 09:24 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,387,862 times
I was raised in one particular religion, although my family didn't discuss it. When I was in military boot-camp, I found that church was the only place I could sit down for an hour without being bothered, sometimes I'd listen to what they were saying. I visited churches with my friends (Jehovah's Witnesses, Catholic, Christian... ). pleaded with the higher being to make Himself known when things got difficult. Eventually, I was convinced of one in particular and it works for me. As I feel I should convince you of my religion, I will avoid it here. Regardless of my faith, keep searching until you're satisfied.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:59 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,349,135 times
I was brought up in family of intellectuals. Nevertheless, my parents took us kids to many different churches, like presbyterian, methodist, episcopal, even unitarian. I was baptized methodist.
As I understand Christianity today, my parents were not Christians, although I'm grateful for the exposure I recieved as a very young child.
It was in my adulthood that I began to call myself a Christian.
Having never been indoctinated into any religion, I was just a very happy Christian. I did alot of reading,, and study. But eventually, I came to the realization that I needed Christian fellowship, so I began my search.
I ended up Catholic, but do not believe that any denomination has a monopoly on the truth. When we take the best of all of us, we are still lacking.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:32 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,442,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kweens View Post
As an ardent atheist, I've been wondering: Why do you religious folk choose to practice YOUR religion as opposed to other religions? What makes you certain of the fact that your religion is correct and all others are wrong?

Please don't simply say something along the lines of "I believe in [insert deity here] because he is all-loving," because that won't answer my question.
Well in all honesty and fairness, I didn't choose mine because is better than anybody else's or because it is the right one, that would be ignorant, arrogant and a slap in the face to all the rest of religious paths out there, I simply chose it because there I found what I was looking for, a purpose and meaning to my life and a recipe for hapiness, success, inner peace, love and wisdom, it has also helped me improve myself and become a better person, and it took suffering and pain from my life for good!

Old 02-10-2008, 12:58 PM

68 posts, read 238,194 times
Kind of a long answer so bear with me.

I was raised a Christmas Christian. I had a belief in a deity and an appreciation for New Testament values but realized a lot of what I was hearing made no sense to me; i.e. the trinity, God as an indescribable being etc. After all, weren't created in his image?

In college I was on the martial arts team. At the end of each session we would meditate. As we sat cross legged on the floor Zenning out, I would occasionally feel this "force" about me (excuse the Star Wars symbolism) and sometimes feel as if I was being physically moved. Never gave it a conscious thought, just was aware of it. One day our sensei touches me on the shoulder and motions for me to stand up while signaling me to remain quit. He takes me behind another student and begins to slowly move his hand toward the student’s back. As he gets within 3-5 inches of touching the student, the student’s body begins to lean forward in reaction to the sensei’s presence. That stuck with me forever.

Jump forward 15 years. Now I’m a father. Fatherhood changes one’s perspectives on just about everything in life; particularly for a father of daughters. I begin that universal quest for the meaning of life. I had studied philosophy and religion in college. Not as my major but as humanities credits. Even longer story shorter, I went to this Church at the urging of someone close to me but was very skeptical because of all the half truths I had heard about it. From the moment services began there I felt peacefulness and contentment I had not anywhere else. As I listened to the talks and lessons I realized what I was hearing was true. It is hard to explain unless you experience it but I didn’t feel it was true, I knew.

As I went on to explore this faith more, I realized that they believed in this all encompassing natural force demonstrated to me long ago be a sensei in a little nowhere college town. That it was through this energy that prayers are heard and communicated, that everything on Earth and eternity is connected and that when Christ prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane he was not praying to himself as God on earth but to his literal Heavenly Father, a distinct being whom he acts in concert with as one. That it is through this energy we are connected to understanding and the truth is communicated, not solely through the words of repetitively edited books. We are constantly guidable if we listen and make the Spirit, the Holy Ghost, accessible.

There were other more pragmatic aspects that caught my attention as well. There is no paid clergy anywhere in our Church. From the top down, every position is held, and every message is given by members who are volunteers and are themselves learning the gospel of Jesus Christ, not being told what is true by someone being paid to do so, but learnign for themselves. The fact that the gospel is one and only one message in our Church was crucial for me as well. Each unit doesn’t decide what its particular belief is or what rules it will follow. The word is the same in the beginning and the end, you either believe or you don’t, but you don’t personally change God’s word to fit your vice. Do not confuse this with practices or policies; I am just referring to the message. No belief in a literal fire and brimstone hell for "sinners." Let he who is without cast the first stone you know.

I’m not going to go into the entire litany but there were several experiences in my life leading up to my acceptance of Christianity (please no one give me the you aren’t a Christian because you don’t believe in the trinity speech) Christ knows who I am, that as I learned more about the Church and the gospel of Christ that caused me to step back and take notice of their significance.

That’s why.

Last edited by panacasummit; 02-10-2008 at 01:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality