Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:40 PM

730 posts, read 2,254,808 times

Advertisements

I was pretty much raised an atheist. My family thinks organized religion is for the birds and that people only joined churches to prove social status. Not my opinion but thats what I was told growing up. My church story is pretty unusual (I think). I went to this church to sign up for a yoga class (which i ended up not attending) Anyways, the church staff asked me if I wanted to look around. I wandered in to the sanctuary I knew I was at home. Yes, I know I am a cheeseball. I took an 11 week class that taught the fundamental beliefs of the church.I did'nt agree with everything, however enough to suit me. Nearly five years later, I am the first in my family tree to be raising a family of Episcopalians.One thing I find comforting about the liturgy is that no matter what city I travel to, or what is going on in my life- the ceremony is a constant. Wether I am at my home church or in one case visiting NYC I can walk into any Episcopal church and and join right in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,952 times
brainwashing, it is that simple, as small children they are constantly told what to believe, and growing up in a strict Roman Catholic household, i know for a fact that the nuns force kids to believe their religion is right, and all others are going to hell, now that I have been able to actually learn about other religions, and what they believe, I can honestly see that all religion is based on is tradition, and illogical belief, otherwise known as faith. it is not until you are in a crisis, or experience major life altering events, that you turn to that faith, that illogical way of thinking, as a way to 'soften the blow' especially when it comes to death, or what we hope, life after death.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:06 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmosalterego View Post
brainwashing, it is that simple, as small children they are constantly told what to believe, and growing up in a strict Roman Catholic household, i know for a fact that the nuns force kids to believe their religion is right, and all others are going to hell, now that I have been able to actually learn about other religions, and what they believe, I can honestly see that all religion is based on is tradition, and illogical belief, otherwise known as faith. it is not until you are in a crisis, or experience major life altering events, that you turn to that faith, that illogical way of thinking, as a way to 'soften the blow' especially when it comes to death, or what we hope, life after death.
The OP was how did you come to your religion... not why you think others are religious....

Old 02-11-2008, 08:36 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Ralph Wiggum said it best..

Old 02-11-2008, 10:00 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
Most Americans do not choose their religion. It is passed on to them by their parents and families before they reach maturity of thought and the point of ethical insight.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Most Americans do not choose their religion. It is passed on to them by their parents and families before they reach maturity of thought and the point of ethical insight.
Again, that's not what the OP is asking. The OP is asking how did you come to your religion ... not why you think other people are religious...

Old 02-12-2008, 07:20 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Again, that's not what the OP is asking. The OP is asking how did you come to your religion ... not why you think other people are religious...
Sincerely, do excuse me for speaking on ParkTwain's behalf, as he's certainly capable of responding to this by himself.

I think what he's getting at is that typically there seems to be very little choice in the matter. The OP was how did you "choose" and it seems that many never really had a choice to begin with.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Sincerely, do excuse me for speaking on ParkTwain's behalf, as he's certainly capable of responding to this by himself.

I think what he's getting at is that typically there seems to be very little choice in the matter. The OP was how did you "choose" and it seems that many never really had a choice to begin with.
Then let each individual state that. It's not up to you or ParkTwain to explain how someone else didn't choose or did choose their religion. I understood the OP to be asking individuals how did they choose their religion. I can only answer for myself... just as you can only answer for yourself and so on.

People deciding to post how they think other's choose (or don't choose) their religion is off topic. That's all I'm saying.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:30 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Then let each individual state that. It's not up to you or ParkTwain to explain how someone else didn't choose or did choose their religion. I understood the OP to be asking individuals how did they choose their religion. I can only answer for myself... just as you can only answer for yourself and so on.

People deciding to post how they think other's choose (or don't choose) their religion is off topic. That's all I'm saying.
OK, fair enough. I see your point.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:37 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
Quote:

The premise behind the OP's question is flawed. That's my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality