Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 11:08 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,737,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I don't hate gay people, or anyone else. The person that does so is wrong to do so. Please realize that.
Good. You are right, of course, and thanks for pointing this out. But sometimes actions speak louder than words or good intensions. I don't know you very well, so correct me if I get some of this wrong. I suspect you oppose gay marriage. I believe you when you say that you don't feel hatred for gays, but if someone were to feel hatred for gays, one way to express this hatred would be to fight tooth and nail to make sure that gays never got the right to marry. Someone who does not feel hatred for gays, but who is morally opposed to gay sex for religious reasons, might feel morally justified in posting a sign on their business door saying "No gays allowed." On the other hand, if someone did feel deep hatred for gays, one way they could express this hatred would be to post a sign on their door saying "No gays allowed."

When someone acts in ways that are virtually indistinguishable from the ways that they would act if they hated X, then it is not unreasonable for the public to view this public behavior in essentially the same light as if the person hated X. Feelings and intentions are important, but public expressions are important too, and the public expressions are the main thing that the public has to go on when figuring out how to deal with people who discriminate based on race, gender, sexuality, etc.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:12 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,828,697 times
I think evangelicals who still believe that homosexual attractions are a choice with all the evidence we have today will likely never be able to be convinced otherwise. For them, that is as core to their faith as creationism and a literal Noah's flood. No matter how much science is presented that suggests otherwise, they will never believe it.

With that in mind, I think its futile to keep trying to convince them. Instead, the argument should be that even if it is a choice, in a free country with separation of church and state and that guarantees everyone the persuit of happiness, the LGBT community has every right to make that choice.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:15 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,214,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Good. You are right, of course, and thanks for pointing this out. But sometimes actions speak louder than words or good intensions. I don't know you very well, so correct me if I get some of this wrong. I suspect you oppose gay marriage. I believe you when you say that you don't feel hatred for gays, but if someone were to feel hatred for gays, one way to express this hatred would be to fight tooth and nail to make sure that gays never got the right to marry. Someone who does not feel hatred for gays, but who is morally opposed to gay sex for religious reasons, might feel morally justified in posting a sign on their business door saying "No gays allowed." On the other hand, if someone did feel deep hatred for gays, one way they could express this hatred would be to post a sign on their door saying "No gays allowed."

When someone acts in ways that are virtually indistinguishable from the ways that they would act if they hated X, then it is not unreasonable for the public to view this public behavior in essentially the same light as if the person hated X. Feelings and intentions are important, but public expressions are important too, and the public expressions are the main thing that the public has to go on when figuring out how to deal with people who discriminate based on race, gender, sexuality, etc.
I've never suggested that we should oppose same sex marriage because the bible says homosexuality is wrong. I don't know how many times I have to say that before people realize that.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
...I think its futile to keep trying to convince them. Instead, the argument should be that even if it is a choice, in a free country with separation of church and state and that guarantees everyone the persuit of happiness, the LGBT community has every right to make that choice.
Well said, and I completely agree. It doesn't matter if sexual preference is a choice, or not, or if Christians view it as a "mere lifestyle" or not; what matters is that people should have the right to make these choices.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Well said, and I completely agree. It doesn't matter if sexual preference is a choice, or not, or if Christians view it as a "mere lifestyle" or not; what matters is that people should have the right to make these choices.
I've never said otherwise.

But choosing to be gay has nothing to do with same sex marriage. One can choose to have sex with whomever one wants, but don't tell me that I have to change the definition of marriage to suit a vocal minority.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I've never suggested that we should oppose same sex marriage because the bible says homosexuality is wrong. I don't know how many times I have to say that before people realize that.
Sorry. My bad. I have not read enough of your posts to know your views on this. You just seemed like someone who would oppose gay marriage. Thanks for correcting me. Luckily, I think my central point still stands, even if it is not directly relevant to you.

Edit: Oh, I see:
Quote:
But choosing to be gay has nothing to do with same sex marriage. One can choose to have sex with whomever one wants, but don't tell me that I have to change the definition of marriage to suit a vocal minority.
You are free to stick with your old definition, and I am free to accept a new definition. I'm just glad that the majority of society is finally changing their definition to something closer to mine.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Sorry. My bad. I have not read enough of your posts to know your views on this. You just seemed like someone who would oppose gay marriage. Thanks for correcting me. Luckily, I think my central point still stands, even if it is not directly relevant to you.

Edit: Oh, I see:

You are free to stick with your old definition, and I am free to accept a new definition. I'm just glad that the majority of society is finally changing their definition to something closer to mine.
No--I'm not basing my opposition to same sex marriage on the Bible. But it's not a good decision to change marriage on the whim of a few. I really think it sets a very dangerous precedent, legally, and civically--for our society.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:46 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,894,307 times
Quote:
First of all, I never chose to become a Christian--God called me. I didn't choose him.

Second....religion because the founding fathers guaranteed me the freedom to have my religion. They decided it was that important. It's a bedrock point of our country, of our culture. It's who we are. We have the freedom to practice our religion. If you don't want that, I hear Canada is a lovely country to live in.
Yup. It's pretty. Lots of mountains.

Keep sendin 'em our way, Viz! Diversity makes a better country.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Yup. It's pretty. Lots of mountains.

Keep sendin 'em our way, Viz! Diversity makes a better country.
We also like diversity...but the basic rules of America are that we have a Constitution--and certain rights guaranteed. If people aren't willing to adhere to our basic rulebook, they aren't welcome.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:52 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,828,697 times
Quote:
Second....religion because the founding fathers guaranteed me the freedom to have my religion. They decided it was that important. It's a bedrock point of our country, of our culture. It's who we are. We have the freedom to practice our religion. If you don't want that, I hear Canada is a lovely country to live in.
How have you lost your freedom of religion because gay people can get married? You can still believe the way you believe, go to church freely, and define marriage your way in your church. The only thing that is changed is people who don't believe the way you do no longer have to abide by your rules, which is what true religious freedom is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality