Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 09:18 PM

1,333 posts, read 883,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
Yes I feel very welcome here
Well, I guess someone should fix that then

On a serious note, you can't expect to influence anyone by simply telling them they're blind, ignorant, etc. etc.
If you have something of substance to say, please; out with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 09:31 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,568 times
I don't expect to influence anyone period

If people want to listen to me then that's fine and if they don't want to listen to me then that's fine too

Old 04-02-2016, 09:45 PM

1,333 posts, read 883,544 times
Quote:

If people want to listen to me then that's fine and if they don't want to listen to me then that's fine too
What is the purpose of arguing with us then?
Do you derive some pleasure from aggravating people?

Old 04-02-2016, 10:42 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:

I look at it this way, each person who adds an opinion or evidence or an idea, adds to the pool of thought. Your opinion or idea may just give someone a new idea or bring about a realization. Kind of like brain storming.

Besides, it's part of the conversation.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:48 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,568 times
Thats the idea

Old 04-03-2016, 12:07 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Atheism is a belief in the same way bald is a hair color, or not collecting stamps is a hobby.
Sti8ll laughingh...can't type.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:30 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Atheism is a belief in the same way bald is a hair color, or not collecting stamps is a hobby.
I missed that one somehow! Good one!

Old 04-04-2016, 08:01 AM

392 posts, read 248,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Hello Everyone,

So, I wanted to create a thread in order to dispel a couple myths about atheism.

1. Atheism is not a belief or lifestyle and can not be treated like a belief or lifestyle.

2. It follows that belief-based and lifestyle-based decisions made by an atheist are not pursuant to atheism.
Materialism has its own definitions.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:30 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overcastg4 View Post
Materialism has its own definitions.
As does theism. Theism needs very much to believe that atheism is a belief, with a dogma, and a rulebook, and prescriptions and proscriptions for a lifestyle -- the better to relate to it, otherize it and oppose it. It would be much more convenient if atheism were just like another "false" (other) religion. But it's not. It's a very narrow belief position that says it will not afford belief to the things you do unless adequate evidence and/or logical argument can be presented in its favor. Nothing more, nothing less.

Atheists often exceed theists in their ethical conduct ... they are not libertines and wastrels to any degree more so than any other group, and in the few cases when they are, they are more likely to be honest about it and not try to cover it up.

You may not like that and prefer to stick to the definitions and explanations of people who are NOT atheists, instead of asking atheists what they actually think, or looking at studies that have examined these issues. You may wish to suggest, as you have here, that Evil Materialists have Counterfeit Definitions for terms that you somehow, despite not actually looking at facts, manage to have. Because it's easier to mount dark conspiracy theories that favor you as the persecuted and wronged and misrepresented group.

But that doesn't change reality.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:40 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Atheists put their faith in:

1. when they die, it's over.
2. in darwin (who now knows it isn't)

2. You can be an atheists and not even know or care about evolution and you can be a theists and study and accept evolution. Evolution is a disclipine in science and atheism is a lack of belief in any and all dieties. And there were atheists prior to Darwin and if Darwin never existed or never sailed on the Beagle you would be saying that we put our faith in Wallace.

1. I put no faith in there is nothing after we die. I just have no evidence that something does happen and we carry on into the numerous types of after lifes there may be. Can I assume that you do not believe in reincarnation so you have no problem with not accepting someone else's religion. And not all religions have an afterlife.

Going back to 2, do you have any proof that Darwin now knows that there is an afterlife? Care to share that evidence or proof with the rest of the world? Maybe the Norse, Blackfoot, Greek, Jews, Buddists or Hindu are the ones correct? Is he in their afterlife or lack of one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality