Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 09:11 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Did he exclusively do this to women? Or are the only publicly known incidents involving women?

Not that it'd surprise me, mind you. I am just trying to be careful of the known facts of the case here.
Whether a woman or a man, I'm not sure it's relevant. If, say...a Mormon police officer had stopped me and he began to tell me the virtues of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon, I'm not sure that I, as a large man, would feel very comfortable with telling him "No, thanks". He's an officer--I've been taught to respect police officers and to obey them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 09:12 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
While I do not share your views that this guy is as evil as you seem to be suggesting, I do agree that he has been warned, and he continued to do it. Christians do not have a right in our country to disobey our employers. He does not have a fundamental right to do that while on the job.
Vizio, I want to commend you for consistently taking this stance, at least in principle. I think you deserve full credit for that. If you've been inconsistent or made exceptions to this I'm not aware of it.

I fully support the officer's right to believe what he believes but not any perceived right to impose it on others or to defraud his employer through bending of rules. Particularly when he is wielding state power and must be always as much as humanly possible above any possible accusations of intimidation. Using a position of secular power to impose religious dogma is fascistic and wrong, on so many levels.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:05 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Quote:
Did he exclusively do this to women? Or are the only publicly known incidents involving women?

Not that it'd surprise me, mind you. I am just trying to be careful of the known facts of the case here.
We know there were two women. These are the known facts. In his world women must submit, so he maintains his power by making them submit to his power.

Is it a pattern? It is more than one. Seems serial behavior.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:13 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
While I do not share your views that this guy is as evil as you seem to be suggesting, I do agree that he has been warned, and he continued to do it. Christians do not have a right in our country to disobey our employers. He does not have a fundamental right to do that while on the job.
Thanks for seeing the point; he was wrong as a public servant in what he did. I'm not sure why the comment that I suggested he was evil as I didn't. I certainly suggested that he was wrong, and that we have seen a plethora of public servants who put their faith above their sworn duty to the State.

Kim Davis being the poster child of that.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:08 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
I woulda stayed to. Then reported it. If I didn't break the law I wouldn't have been there. He was warned before. sad, but it had to be done.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
If, say...a Mormon police officer had stopped me and he began to tell me the virtues of Joseph Smith .....
I put the odds of that happening at zero to none. I've known a LOT of LDS. Not one has ever told me about the "virtues of Joseph Smith".

Though if the missionaries are doing that....I don't know. I always offer them a cold drink and say, "No thanks." Other than that....not a peep about "the virtues of Joseph Smith" from any Mormon I've known. Lol...after years of riding a school bus full of very vocal and faithful Mormons who out-numbered we non-Mormons by about 8 to 1 .....I'd have noticed.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
We know there were two women. These are the known facts. In his world women must submit, so he maintains his power by making them submit to his power.

Is it a pattern? It is more than one. Seems serial behavior.
If it reflects a pattern of targeting women it may be entirely misogynist or it may more reflect that he is afraid to do it to a "big man" like Viz. Or he knows at some level that men are more likely to complain and to be believed when they complain.

But I think a sample size of two is hardly enough to establish a pattern. The obvious pattern we can be certain of is one of proselytizing on the job, leveraging the ultimate captive audience by virtue of his position of power. Enough to be fired over, which shows he was doing enough of it to be a liability to the tight fraternity of police.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:14 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Quote:
If it reflects a pattern of targeting women it may be entirely misogynist or it may more reflect that he is afraid to do it to a "big man" like Viz. Or he knows at some level that men are more likely to complain and to be believed when they complain.

But I think a sample size of two is hardly enough to establish a pattern. The obvious pattern we can be certain of is one of proselytizing on the job, leveraging the ultimate captive audience by virtue of his position of power. Enough to be fired over, which shows he was doing enough of it to be a liability to the tight fraternity of police.
Two is a fact. It is enough of a pattern. Victims often are afraid to complain. Now that the man is fired, perhaps victims will have the courage to tell their stories. In that man's world, women need to submit to his power. Men are given a pass. I think there are other women.

Viz is not a big man. Viz is fat and undernourished.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Two is a fact. It is enough of a pattern. Victims often are afraid to complain. Now that the man is fired, perhaps victims will have the courage to tell their stories. In that man's world, women need to submit to his power. Men are given a pass. I think there are other women.

Viz is not a big man. Viz is fat and undernourished.
Lol ... I was speaking to Viz's claim that even he as a "big man" would be afraid to disagree with Mr Policeman-with-a-tract.

But I really have to say, while you may be completely correct ... and I would be unsurprised to find that you are, particularly given the patriarchal leanings of Bad Cop's theology of choice ... a sample size of two does not a trend make. We would have to see the dozen or whatever number of incidents reports were considered in his firing to determine whether he targeted 100% or even 85% women.

The salient point really isn't about gender though. He abused his position of trust and authority to proselytize, and whether he did it to women, or men and women, equally or unequally, he shouldn't have done it at all. If it turned out that he targeted women exclusively or disproportionately then that adds a layer of wrongness to it but determining that is not necessary to defrock him, thankfully.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:32 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula spider View Post
No one should force their religion and politics on others, it is WRONG!
Agreed, -- and heartily! But what about all manner of Political Correctness foisted upon the young and impressionable by self-appointed Social Justice Warriors ensconced within the public school system?

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-08-2016 at 08:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality