Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 04:16 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,905,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Do not trust men with your children. Know the men in your family, choose and vet them carefully.

Look at every male from age 12 with an discerning eye.
Do not be flattered when a man shows interest in your child, or you and your child.
Do not allow your child to get in a car with anyone.
Remember to tell your children you have their backs, and any threat should never be kept secret, or private from a parent.

Pastors, coaches, doctors, club leaders..... I look at all of them as predators, until I prove otherwise.
Perhaps a better solution. Don't have kids if you don't trust the world you bring them into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 04:56 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Perhaps a better solution. Don't have kids if you don't trust the world you bring them into.
I think the better idea is for more women to think like I think.

I fully trusted the world I chose for my children. I vette men very carefully. I still do.

I never take you at face value. I have seen behind the mask, and first hand the terrible things men do to women and children. I have worked with predators who have no remorse, and victims who carry shame and guilt for being raped.

I followed my own advice and my instincts concerning men in the world. My children were never taught to submit to adults who claim authority because they were adults or family members.

Last edited by RonkonkomaNative; 04-16-2016 at 05:41 PM..

Old 04-16-2016, 05:40 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
How do you prove they are not a predator? Maybe they just need a little more time.
i either trust you with children, or not. I would judge you by your relationships with women and your family, especially your mother. In today's world, I would look at your social media.

There is no "you need more time" when it comes to children, their protection, and well being. The needs of children come first. Not the needs of men who need more time.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:07 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You seem to have a particular hatred of Christianity in general and I'm just used to you posting daily attacks against it. The fact that you went back to an article 6 months old demonstrates that it's more about you just wanting to attack than anything else.
How old can the article be before it demonstrates it's more about him? Three months? Two months? Two weeks?

Lighten up. It just came to his attention. The fact that it's old news demonstrates nothing of the kind. It just demonstrates that it happened awhile ago. And it's no less disgusting for that.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:19 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Where have I EVER suggested that we didn't want to "shine a light on it"? I've told you it's bad, and that I KNOW it can happen in church. I have explained that my church has a policy to restrict access to kids, and we protect kids.
The policies you are talking about are widely taught at least in protestant seminaries and bible institutes and I applaud them. The institutionalization of pedophilia in the RCC, though, is a horse of a very different color.

Of course Christians vary in their awareness and concern about this issue. Of course it isn't unique to the church, either. The only reason it is more objectionable in the church is because of its extraordinary claims of a superior morality. You can't have it both ways. Either this morality results in noticeably better outcomes, or it's a BS claim.

The way you probably handle it is to say, well, it's a BS claim when the RCC makes it, or when any protestant church makes it that has such a scandal ... but not when your tribe makes it. But that is self-ratifying nonsense.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:19 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No, the point it this behavior can and does happen by anyone *even atheist* anytime, anywhere by those claiming all sorts of moral high ground and this sort of scandal does their credibility no good........

But it takes an organized church to hide, obfuscate, transfer personal, and deny, deny, deny, a church who DOES claim the higher moral ground.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:06 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
The difference between the church and most others is when the church found out about the abuse, they simply moved the abuser to another location. I am sure that some other organizations did similar but most do not have the power to do that like the churches do. To me their biggest crime was to conceal and cover up the offenses which protected the abusers and allowed them to prey in new grounds.

Why is the rcc asking for past offenses to be protected by statue of limitations on the basis of lapse memory but are prepared to not have a limitations on new offenses? Because of the cover ups. I think they have made big strides, the problem is that abuse was so protected in the past. The Priest in the town I grew up in was shifted from town to town, not for abusing kids he was great with them, but for being to close to his housekeeper.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:11 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I thought thinks were going down the right path with the pedophilia scandal of the Catholic church, and especially with Pope Francis apparently concerned about it.

Well, guess what?

The Catholic Church is fighting to block bills that would extend the statute of limitations for reporting sex abuse.

The Catholic Church is fighting to block bills that would extend the statute of limitations for reporting sex abuse - Business Insider

Angry. This makes me truly angry. Yes, this article is from 6 months ago, but I could not find anything that says it has backed off from this.

Disgusting that a supposed organization that purports to do good, covers up its true sins against humanity.
They were trying to say "enough with dredging up the past already!"

Old 04-16-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you ought to call the local archdiocese and ask them if you want to know.
It couldn't kill you to imagine... or I guess it could.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Along with schools, sports leagues, etc...

It's for that reason that we have a "safe place" policy which requires at least 2 adults be present with kids. I think every organization should do the same--within reason. Obviously that may not work in a school setting to have multiple teachers in a room.
My public high school didn't have male-male pedophilia issues that I'm aware of, and only 1 case in my 4 years of a female student and male teacher getting caught (although they later moved in together).

I'd like to see some statistics however, we have to start with the worst areas of abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality