Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 06:01 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Every time? Well then, perhaps you should consider the common denominator there, Jeff. Nearly everyone I know IRL is Christian and I haven't had negative experiences with any of them, nor any of them with me. If every single atheist you run into turns into a negative experience, and they're all different, varied people, and the one constant in the situation is you, well...I mean...?
Well that's just it. They are not different. They all talk in the same condescending snarky arrogant bitter tone, hey yourself included. I honestly can't tell a Jerz apart from a Troutdude or a Nozz. And if you are going to claim I'm the only one who gets attacked here then you are either blatantly blind or dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 06:06 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Just heard on TV news that 22 veterans per day commit suicide. Maybe if "Christians" would stop cheering on wars that number could be reduced. But the modus operandi of conservative churches has as its theme song "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition."

What war is showing people of peace is that no amount of "faith," "flag-waving," and "prayer for vets," can mitigate the awful impact on those the "faithful" send to fight often unjustified or falsely justified (Weapons of Mass Destruction) wars.

What would jeffbase do to halt his part in those suicides?
Absolutely Warden....amen (from an atheist).

What we actually have is a bizarrely constructed subculture which combines jingoism and some sort of authoritarianism masked under Christianity. Not too different from the same elements that hijack Islam.

And the irony of it all....is that the same cure to both of them is precisely what they rail against. Actually loving and caring about their neighbors....not just the ones who profess their same ignorance.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:13 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well that's just it. They are not different. They all talk in the same condescending snarky arrogant bitter tone, hey yourself included. I honestly can't tell a Jerz apart from a Troutdude or a Nozz. And if you are going to claim I'm the only one who gets attacked here then you are either blatantly blind or dishonest.
No. They are different people as in, one is Jake, one is John, one is Mary (or whatever)...right? I'm assuming?

So. Lots of individual human beings.

Along with...only you.

And folks not getting along.

I'm doing the math and it makes sense to me, you may wish to take a few minutes and catch the association. It's a pretty simple one.

Now, as to you not being able to tell anyone apart, LOL...

I can tell you I'm not Troutdude or Nozz. I've argued with Nozz before, actually, LOL. We for sure don't agree. I don't like him very much (sorry, Nozz) and I don't feel much love for him. We have a lot of very very very different ideas and our personalities certainly aren't very similar. Trout - our beliefs are different and he's a thousand percent more mellow than I. He's cooler, too. If you're actually not able to tell the differences among people, you're pretty narrow-sighted, frankly. And BTW...Troutdude is not an atheist, LOL. Nozz is, though. I'm...agnostic and constantly questioning. Three different belief systems and among the three "atheists" you've listed as being just the same only one is actually an atheist. So maybe you don't mean atheists all sound the same, but that absolutely anybody who doesn't agree with you sounds like every other person who doesn't agree with you?

So. Again, nearly everyone I know is Christian, and I am just not having any problems, not IRL where people show their faces. Anonymously on the internet when people can let their hair down, so to speak, more issues but still sure as heck not an issue with EVERY Christian, that would be impossible. Really, that is some feat, Jeff. I have no clue how you're managing it.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:16 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
No. They are different people as in, one is Jake, one is John, one is Mary (or whatever)...right? I'm assuming?

So. Lots of individual human beings.

Along with...only you.

And folks not getting along.

I'm doing the math and it makes sense to me, you may wish to take a few minutes and catch the association. It's a pretty simple one.

Now, as to you not being able to tell anyone apart, LOL...

I can tell you I'm not Troutdude or Nozz. I've argued with Nozz before, actually, LOL. We for sure don't agree. I don't like him very much (sorry, Nozz) and I don't feel much love for him. We have a lot of very very very different ideas and our personalities certainly aren't very similar. Trout - our beliefs are different and he's a thousand percent more mellow than I. He's cooler, too. If you're actually not able to tell the differences among people, you're pretty narrow-sighted, frankly. And BTW...Troutdude is not an atheist, LOL. Nozz is, though. I'm...agnostic and constantly questioning. Three different belief systems and among the three "atheists" you've listed as being just the same only one is actually an atheist. So maybe you don't mean atheists all sound the same, but that absolutely anybody who doesn't agree with you sounds like every other person who doesn't agree with you?

So. Again, nearly everyone I know is Christian, and I am just not having any problems, not IRL where people show their faces. Anonymously on the internet when people can let their hair down, so to speak, more issues but still sure as heck not an issue with EVERY Christian, that would be impossible. Really, that is some feat, Jeff. I have no clue how you're managing it.
I thought Trout keeps telling Jeff that he is not an atheist.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:19 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I thought Trout keeps telling Jeff that he is not an atheist.
Correct, AFAIK, Trout is not an atheist.

I'm not either. I'm agnostic.

The ONLY person in the "three exactly alike atheists" example Jeff gave who actually is an atheist is Nozzferatoo, LOL.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:22 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,084 times
Quote:
Correct, AFAIK, Trout is not an atheist.

I'm not either. I'm agnostic.

The ONLY person in the "three exactly alike atheists" example Jeff gave who actually is an atheist is Nozzferatoo, LOL.
Jeff thinks anyone who uses that uppity evidence stuff HAS to be an atheist.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Jeff has no interest in anyone but himself.

He's created a persecution complex which interprets any disagreement as attacks from enemies - on himself and his god.

Therefore, in jeffland, practically every poster here is an atheist.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Just heard on TV news that 22 veterans per day commit suicide. Maybe if "Christians" would stop cheering on wars that number could be reduced. But the modus operandi of conservative churches has as its theme song "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition."

What war is showing people of peace is that no amount of "faith," "flag-waving," and "prayer for vets," can mitigate the awful impact on those the "faithful" send to fight often unjustified or falsely justified (Weapons of Mass Destruction) wars.

What would jeffbase do to halt his part in those suicides?
Ignore the problem just like he ignored this post?

Having posted about veterans suicide (that number will go up before it goes down), PTSD and homelessness in the past I can report that far-right Christians are VERY good at ignoring these men and women.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:30 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
There was a great show recently - I forget the name - where some people were sent out to walk the streets and see if the general feeling was bad out in the world today. So out they went looking and they generally found it was so. They reported back that most people seemed to be in bad mood.

The next day however the host of the show - some derren brown type - sent them out to see if the mood was better. And do you know what? It was! Most people seemed to be much happier that day.

Why? Because on day 1 they went out _looking_ for angry expressions and bad humor. On day 2 they went out _looking_ for happy faces and nice people. Their brain filtered for what they were looking for.

I suspect the same issue might be at play with you. I had to go back over some of your posts to check some facts before I first wrote in this thread - and one thing I noticed is that you almost consistently read and reply to only the posters who you think you can spin as being snarky or insulting - and you totally and completely ignore the posts that are not.

Including mine on this thread which did not contain one shred of snark - condescension - or attack on Christianity or on you. And my last post to you on another thread not so long ago. You simply ignored both.

Which leaves only one question open - whether you do this consciously or unconsciously. _That_ you do it is entirely clear. Whether you are aware of doing it however is not. The people in the TV show I mentioned were not.

I _suspect_ you are aware of it - and in fact it is your main intention - and the users you _just_ listed are all ones that are the most calm, concise, polite, patient, genuine and intellectual users on the forum in general. But it is only a suspicion and I withhold judgement at this time.

But I am genuinely open to the possibility you simply are oblivious to it. And if this is the case I suggest you try an experiment for 10 days and see if you - like the people in the TV show - notice a genuine change.

That is - simply do not reply at all in any way to the people you think are beneath contempt in how they conduct themselves - not even to tell them you will not be replying to them - I mean literally read them and move on and no more.

So just like the TV people found bad when they looked for bad and found good when they were looking for good - I suspect you are falling into the same trap.

And when you see someone who write a genuine thought out post or rebuttal - engage them on this level and reply.

And above all when you are trying to reply to them do so directly. To _them_. Without this sentence structure you often fall into of the form "You atheists are always - " or "This is just another example of you atheists - ".

Drop this "You atheists" structure you reply on so heavily and reply to each individual like - well - like an individual. Because a _lot_ of the ire I observe directed at you - which you perceive as hatred of you - Christianity - or both - is actually nothing more than a reaction to your "You Atheists" us against them structures.

But as I said - if you actually _want_ to maintain this image that all atheists are snarky and arrogant and aggressive then you are not going to be interested in this experiment. You will simply continue to react to the people that fit the spin you want to put on it - and ignore the ones who do take the time to engage intellectually and cordially and honestly.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:38 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
But as I said - if you actually _want_ to maintain this image that all atheists are snarky and arrogant and aggressive then you are not going to be interested in this experiment. You will simply continue to react to the people that fit the spin you want to put on it - and ignore the ones who do take the time to engage intellectually and cordially and honestly.
Well of course. The human mind is wired by natural selection to be very sensitive to anything resembling a threat, and to pay relatively little mind to neutral and positive inputs. Because people who run from even potential threats first and ask questions later tend to live (in the sense of, survive). In order for Jeff's quality of life to improve he would have to work deliberately and consistently on letting go of negative perceptions and seek out positive ones. He would have to have the charity to think, well there goes Mordant again, I don't agree with his thinking there but he certainly means well and tries his best to do well. I think he actually cares enough to want to persuade me of what he sees as better ways of thinking. How nice that people exist like that. Maybe I can even convince him of MY beliefs one day, wouldn't that be great?

But no ... Jeff demonstrably would rather demonize people who disagree with them, see them in the worst possible light, and use them as evidence for his chosen persecution narratives and his chosen effort-free black-and-white evidence-free thought patterns (No god = more suicide, etc).

So it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality