Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 08:56 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Work on your reading comprehension. "You are what you eat" would be giving a reason for the proscription no matter how valid or not that reason might be.

Answer your first question yourself, is there a good reason for prohibiting lying, straling, hurting people, murder, backbiting, cheating, deceiving or drug use, or are they just given because "God says so?"

What is so hard about comparing the two approaches?
OHHH so now u wanna talk about the "reason".

Tell me reason why were you born?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 10:10 AM

23,164 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
Well, enighten me: what IS the purpose of "Do not cook a young goat in its mother's milk." If taking hair splitting to extremes is not insane, what would you call it?

I stepped on your culture. I doubt that there is any culture that is free of insanity and religious elements are the most prevalent. Classical Greece had the concept that people could accidentally tick off the Gods, it's the whole basis of Oedipus. Currently, most of established Christianity in America is suffering under the insane idea that God requires a blood sacrifice in order to forgive our mistakes. So, what?

1 Corinthians 9

8Do I say this merely on human authority? Doesn’t the Law say the same thing? 9For it is written in the Law of Moses: “Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain.”Is it about oxen that God is concerned?
10Surely he says this for us, doesn’t he? Yes, this was written for us, because whoever plows and threshes should be able to do so in the hope of sharing in the harvest.

The laws of animals pertain to the believer and boiling a kid in his mother's milk does not teach about a goat, and the milk is a teaching.

If you are going to sacrifice a goat for a sin offering then you are the goat trying to die to the ways of a goat in that goats go their own way but that would be useless if you continue in the mentality of a Goat by following the ambitions of the flesh.

Just like a person must go down into the water and become a new creature when he comes up, he can't go back to his old ways, he becomes as a child and begins studying the word of God and this is the milk of the word that you give a child everyday in study until he can eat the meat.

Whatever it means, I don't think it has anything to do with what a person eats at all. The laws of oxen are not about oxen just like a Passover lamb is a priest. After the first Passover, God instructed them that every single priest was a Passover lamb who would have to redeem a first born son just like the first Passover lamb and so it was not an unusual thing for a priest to say,'' Eat of my flesh.''

He is a Passover lamb.

Boiling a kid in it's mother's milk has a much more deeper meaning than what it actually says.

Just as God says,'' I never wanted all your sacrifices, your tens of thousands of dead animals.''

God was just trying to teach them that a walk with him means great sacrifice and not of animals but of men symbolically dying to their selfish ambitions.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:17 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So how should we approach the "antique religious laws" that advise NOT to steal, speak a lie, hurt anyone, take the life of an innocent person, back biting, cheating, deceiving, drug use etc?
We shouldn't approach them at all, because they're irrelevant - if you can't figure out a reason not to kill people other than "This ancient books says not to", then you are quite simply a defective human being. And before you go on about how those are precisely the sorts of people who need religion the most, sorry Charlie, but the fact is that the part of - for example - the United States with the highest rates of professed belief and church attendance - the South - is also the part of the country with the highest rates of violent crime. Ditto for North America (the U.S. is more religious than and more violent than Canada). Ditto for Europe (Eastern Europe is more religious than Western Europe - yes, it is; look it up - and more crime-ridden as well, and the same holds for Northern Europe compared to Southern Europe). So the whole being-religious-gives-people-morality-so-they-behave-better assertion simply does not stand up to the real-world facts.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:40 AM

19,040 posts, read 27,607,234 times
OP, for sake of fairness, there was also link posted to an article explaining why pork meet is not healthy.because pigs consume everything their own refuse included; because they have very short digestive cycle and toxins sediment in their fat and meat as the result; because pigs do not have sweat glands, which adds another retention to toxins in their meat.
That said, though I am not a Christian, I do understand why pork is not advised. What does surprise me though that reason explained is quite different - something about hooves.
So, so far, there is actual scientific explanation to pork meat.
There likely to be further explanations to other foods that are considered unclean. With a bit of good will and time on hand....
Faith though does not operate on science principle. Faith operates on utmost conviction and true faith has NO doubts in faith postulates, no matter how ridiculous they may sound or appear - as it is a known FACT that not a single man, even group of men, has broad picture on any concept discussed, especially in very broad historical perspective. People have only very limited, due to mental and life length limitations, view on anything.
Personally, I have learned to doubt little, as many times in my 60 years have I found that science was actually wrong and "wild" theories and concepts are true.
I learned to follow one very wise principle - I know that I know nothing. This is one and only true knowledge worth considering.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:58 AM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Personally, I have learned to doubt little, as many times in my 60 years have I found that science was actually wrong and "wild" theories and concepts are true.
I learned to follow one very wise principle - I know that I know nothing. This is one and only true knowledge worth considering.
this is a measure of recognizing wisdom,
the wiser one becomes, the more they recognize "I know nothing"

the Tao Te Ching puts it this way
"Those that say, don't know.
Those that know, don't say."

Old 06-30-2016, 03:07 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
OHHH so now u wanna talk about the "reason".

Tell me reason why were you born?
Basically, I get that you are saying "God said it so just do it." A concept of God that I find disturbing and the basis for more atrocities than we can imagine.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
OP, for sake of fairness, there was also link posted to an article explaining why pork meet is not healthy.because pigs consume everything their own refuse included; because they have very short digestive cycle and toxins sediment in their fat and meat as the result; because pigs do not have sweat glands, which adds another retention to toxins in their meat.
That said, though I am not a Christian, I do understand why pork is not advised. What does surprise me though that reason explained is quite different - something about hooves.
So, so far, there is actual scientific explanation to pork meat.
There likely to be further explanations to other foods that are considered unclean. With a bit of good will and time on hand....
Faith though does not operate on science principle. Faith operates on utmost conviction and true faith has NO doubts in faith postulates, no matter how ridiculous they may sound or appear - as it is a known FACT that not a single man, even group of men, has broad picture on any concept discussed, especially in very broad historical perspective. People have only very limited, due to mental and life length limitations, view on anything.
What I see you saying is that there is a reason, but we may not be able to see what it is.

That may be fine for the individual to practice but it certainly should not be a basis for imposing ANY proscription on other people.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
God was just trying to teach them that a walk with him means great sacrifice and not of animals but of men symbolically dying to their selfish ambitions.
So, the proscription isn't really a proscription at all? Congratulations, you just came up with a third approach.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:29 PM

23,164 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
So, the proscription isn't really a proscription at all? Congratulations, you just came up with a third approach.
Don't really know that word Proscription. I do know that behind every single law of Moses, there is the truth and spirit of the law.

Just like people say Jesus brought a new Covenant with a New law, there is a new law and this is to study the old law and find the truth in every single law and you could write down the law of Jesus by doing this.

Messiah comes teaching the great secrets of Torah and that is his mission, he began doing this in 6 a.d. and then it was delayed until 30 a.d. or so.

Messiah picked up the scepter when Judah had dropped it in 6 a.d. and Jesus was found teaching in the temple but then this was delayed, and the years of Messiah are 2000 years from the beginning of his ministry, Messiah comes four days after Adam teaching the great hidden law behind the law of Moses and his days are numbered as 2000 years of Messiah after 4000 years from Adam, and the end of the 2000 years of Messiah ends 6 days.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:34 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
Quote:
Basically, I get that you are saying "God said it so just do it." A concept of God that I find disturbing and the basis for more atrocities than we can imagine.
No.
You said you wanted to talk about "reason".

And I am saying, everyone has their reasons in doing what they do. And you don't necessarily have to agree with their reasons.

But then there are some who don't know - just like you don't know the reason why were you born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality