Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 01:57 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I prefer to know all the facts before making rash judgements.
That's fair comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 01:58 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
To be honest, we don't hear of the majority of them. But yes--I do quite loudly and vociferously condemn evil acts.
I actually know you don't support those that do commit these abuse of minors, but what are you doing to react when they happen?

Quote:
Because you seem to have an unnatural fascination with it.
It is not healthy to hide this and NOT talk about it. Think of the Catholic priest scandals.

Quote:
I'm not aware of any wrongdoing in any of our churches. If there was a problem such as this, the district rep that the pastor responds to would handle it.
So you have a protocol of WHO speaks, but not WHAT the reaction is. My proposal was to put into place a protocol of WHAT to say... it's important.

Quote:
There is no organization that wants to excuse him, to my knowledge. Those that are in the community that think he's innocent are non-churched people. But he is an atheist. Should I hold you accountable for his actions?
You should question my being supportive of an organization that supports or excuses him for his actions. That SBC that wants to out the girls is a member of your extended christian community, yet I see little condemnation of that church and its perspective from you.

Why?

Old 07-02-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I actually know you don't support those that do commit these abuse of minors, but what are you doing to react when they happen?

It is not healthy to hide this and NOT talk about it. Think of the Catholic priest scandals.

So you have a protocol of WHO speaks, but not WHAT the reaction is. My proposal was to put into place a protocol of WHAT to say... it's important.

You should question my being supportive of an organization that supports or excuses him for his actions. That SBC that wants to out the girls is a member of your extended christian community, yet I see little condemnation of that church and its perspective from you.

Why?
Good post!

I've already suggest facebook (there's twitter and others that work the same).

Old 07-02-2016, 02:08 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:

It's not healthy to focus so much on negative things. I worry about you.
Quote:

I honestly don't know if my organization has something in place. I've never heard of this type of thing happening. We have safe-place policies in place to ensure no adult is alone with a kid.

Quote:

Why?
I honestly don't know much about the story, and to be honest, I'm not about to believe what you have to say about it. I know from your track record you tend to sensationalize things a bit. You may be 100% on target here....but I don't know. So for that reason, I'm not going to address it. You also post several of these stories a week, and frankly, I just don't have the same fascination with them that you do. I'll let the police handle it.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I honestly don't know much about the story, and to be honest, I'm not about to believe what you have to say about it. I know from your track record you tend to sensationalize things a bit. You may be 100% on target here....but I don't know. So for that reason, I'm not going to address it. You also post several of these stories a week, and frankly, I just don't have the same fascination with them that you do. I'll let the police handle it.
Don't you think it is a public issue? You can raise awareness.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:32 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I prefer to know all the facts before making rash judgements. It doesn't make logical sense to me why the church would do this out as payback. They are already facing a PR nightmare. Why take an action that will only result in much more scrutiny and criticism? I think there is more to the story than what you present.
Or you refuse to believe your brothers are abusing girls. More to the story? They do not want to accept responsibility for hiring a pedophile. They are now being sued.

They want to publicize the victims names. What kind of Christians do this? The kind that have no problem hiring pedophiles. The ones who believe girls were not victims.

Join with me little brother, in disgust for this Southern Baptist Church and their leaders.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:49 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Don't you think it is a public issue? You can raise awareness.
Yes, although it's good to protect the innocent, it's not the mandate of the church. Matthew 28:18-20 doesn't mention it.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, although it's good to protect the innocent, it's not the mandate of the church. Matthew 28:18-20 doesn't mention it.
I haven't read Mathew 28:18-20 but you say it does not mention it? But did you not in a previous post mention that you are vociferous about evil deeds? I consider this to be an evil deed. My young son suffered abuse and it ruined his life forever. Seventeen years of misery and suffering took its toll. I should be out there fighting child abuse of any description tooth and nail but I don't. I'm just not an activist.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:06 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Church tries to punish girls who sued over sex abuse by outing them:

What kind of animals are these christians to re-victimize these girls, just because the church lost a lawsuit?

WTH drives them to state, ’They should not be able to hide’. Christians talk about the morality they get from their bible, but do they live it when push comes to shove? Heck NO! They are the most moral decrepit organizations, and individuals there is. Scum.

Abuse, whether sexual or physical, of children, and those that enable and excuse it, need to be denounced by all. If you are a christian who doesn't, then you are as complicit as these individuals.
It appears the abuser is doing serious time for the abuse and the question at issue here is whether the church was negligent and should / could have prevented the abuse. Frankly, I'm not sure that they are. Ironically, they did a criminal background check on the perpetrator but because he was a juvenile, his previous sexual predation was not revealed. They were aware of some sort of prior legal issue and allowed the predator to participate under his father's supervision. However, supervision became lax enough that the predator ended up alone with the victims.

My guess is that the church feels they weren't an intentionally bad actor and are being broadsided and slandered and that someone doing that should be willing to stand by their accusations publicly.

The problem of course is that this is ham-fisted, tone-deaf and insensitive to the fact that these are two minor girls who will be outed publicly as sexual assault victims when the church's beef, if it's somehow legitimate, is with the girl's parents.

I would chalk it up to the fundamentalist persecution complex seeing angry parents of two girls who were molested on their watch, as an existential threat and the work of the devil instead of the unsurprising result of stuff that just happened.

On the theory that "where there's smoke, there's fire", I'd say that the church probably didn't proactively reach out to the parents of the girls, and did other clueless things that suggest that they could really use the services of a capable crisis management consultant.

Of course ... I'm merely guessing. For all we know the church did all the right things, and/or the church is as blameless as it's possible for it to be. But knowing the mindset of such churches, having once been a part of one ... I suspect I'm fairly spot on in my analysis.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

Of course ... I'm merely guessing. For all we know the church did all the right things, and/or the church is as blameless as it's possible for it to be. But knowing the mindset of such churches, having once been a part of one ... I suspect I'm fairly spot on in my analysis.
Well stated. That makes a lot of sense and I suspect you are spot on. I do believe the church should take ownership of their error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality