Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2016, 09:12 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Anyone can crunch numbers to sell a narrative that they want. Since you're not even a US citizen, I hardly consider you to be an expert on the of American's personal finances.
I spend half my time at my condo in Florida, where I pay US taxes. My girlfriend is a teacher there. I suspect I know a little about the situation in the US; all my neighbors are residents there. Most of them Republicans.

Quote:
Here's a different narrative:

Deeper Into Credit Card Debt With No Regrets
The stats I posted were in direct relation to your assertions that tourism was down and that disposal income was down. I showed you that was not the case. This link identifies a completely different issue. That is called deflection.

Quote:
I can speak from personal experience that 2016 has been the most difficult year financially. My income has gone up 0% while cost of living has risen 20% or more.
Maybe YOUR cost of living has gone up 20%, but then you need to adjust whatever caused that. The COUNTRY'S cost of living increase is at a historical low. I'm sure you are paying less for fuel this year than last, right?

Old 07-09-2016, 10:45 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
After scamming the Kentucky taxpayer out of over $18 million for a tax incentive to help fund the hugely overpriced $100 million dollar project by promising it would bring 2 million visitors a year, each who pay $40 to enter the 'Ark", only about 4,000 showed up on opening day, many as VIP invitees.

Oooopps. Guess Ken Ham didn't pray enough.

The pictures tell it all, most taken early to mid afternoon.

(all courtesy David Silverman)

The Parking Lot

Ticket Line Up

Love the Chandeliers and Authentic Laminate Flooring in the Ark

More Afternoon Lineups

Five Level Ramp For Hoped Long Ques

(The next images courtesy Tracy Moody and the Friendly Atheist blog)

More "Crowds"
Many chose to leave early and avoid the traffic jams by staying home entirely.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:54 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Anyone can crunch numbers to sell a narrative that they want. Since you're not even a US citizen, I hardly consider you to be an expert on the of American's personal finances. Here's a different narrative:

Deeper Into Credit Card Debt With No Regrets

I can speak from personal experience that 2016 has been the most difficult year financially. My income has gone up 0% while cost of living has risen 20% or more.
Sheesh, are you unable to tell the truth about anything?

What is the Current U.S. Inflation Rate?

Regarding your link about credit...If you are not smart enough to use a credit card responsibly, then you shouldn't have one.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:19 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Sheesh, are you unable to tell the truth about anything?
I see you've noticed also that he is a bit, shall we say, economical with truth and reality.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:04 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
No, that verse is not Jesus telling Christians not to use money to build a theme park. And it is not a verse for all Christians of the nations. In fact, it is aimed only at Israelites.
LOL! How foolish of me. I forgot that it comes under the heading of... 'If we don't like it, it's meant for someone else.'

Last edited by Rafius; 07-10-2016 at 01:35 AM..

Old 07-10-2016, 03:50 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I see you've noticed also that he is a bit, shall we say, economical with truth and reality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
LOL! How foolish of me. I forgot that it comes under the heading of... 'If we don't like it, it's meant for someone else.'
Can't rep either of you, yet, but a response was sorely needed to the Two Usual Suspects here swapping malicious calumnies about atheists and slapping each other on the back pour encourager l’autre sous le feu.

It was simply too late in the day for me to post another expose of the dishonesty (for the browsers - no use telling the perpetrators), but you did it for me.

And the name of the game is not getting at the truth or the facts; for Jeff and Eusebius, it is only ever about winning the debate for your Faith, however you can.

And something more on topic? Is the Ark Ugly? It is well made. It impresses by sheer size. It is good to look at in a Zeppelin - replica kinda way. And the inside looks good in places, and a bit 3rd world scaffolding in others" the ramps and firewood dino - cages. The token scattered food -boxes look a bit half - hearted, too.

If an atheist had made it. Why would an atheist ever build an ark? To prove that it wouldn't work could be done on CG. At a millionth of the cost. But if, for instance a large wooden airship was built as an atheist exhibition hall, it would come in for the same crit. Is it needed? Is it Phewtiful or Fugly? Is it educational or just propaganda in the religion debate? Is it bringing wealth to region or sapping local money (I'm betting on the latter with Hamm's Ark).

This is no more educational than rebuilding the interior sets of the Enterprise.

And there's where I put my money, folks. If you want to support some worthy cause (apart from digging wells in Swaziland) saving the Enterprise sets is a better one than Genesis Disneyland.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-10-2016 at 04:22 AM..

Old 07-10-2016, 05:11 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
jeffbase, we are dealing with people who feel they have to lie in order to persecute Christians. Don't ever think these same people will give you a fair and unbiased hearing on this board. Even people like Transponder spread malicious statements that our beliefs have been blown away. These atheists and unbelievers are getting more and more desperate.

Moderator cut: Orphaned
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Considering that both you and Jeff misrepresent what the theory of evolution actually states or what an atheist actually is and refuse to even acknowledget anything that would better inform you I do not think you you can take a high ground here or on any other thread. The fact that neither you or Jeff give your God any respect as far as his ten Commandments go indicates to me that you both only want to use your religion as a tool upon others instead of being honest people.

From my atheistic view, neither of you demonstrate the good that many Christians show or that is in your Bible. But maybe I am wrong and your religion is about making false statements about others and getting points for playing the victim.
Thank you for proving my point. We need more like you.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-15-2016 at 09:38 AM..

Old 07-10-2016, 05:13 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
No, it comes under the heading of "It is for Israel."

Paul the apostle is for the nations. He is the nations' apostle. We don't have to sell all we have to get into the kingdom. We don't even get into the kingdom Christ spoke of which is an earthly kingdom. Ours is heavenly, among the celestials, and we are saved by grace, not works like the Israelites are.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:34 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Thank you for proving my point. We need more like you.
As usual, nobody is fooled by your denial, and your credibility is long gone.

I had a look at how the Ark is doing. AiG is skewing the news of course, trumpeting about how Jimmy Carter turned up and praised the workmanship (they didn't say that he said he believed evolution rather than Genesis) and even Bill Nye turned up "showing interest". We needn't ask what he believed.

I also again saw the polished floors, the wide passages with the line of cells contaning speakers playing the sounds that the various Baryma might have emitted (A slowed -down miaou for the cat - kind, a rhino -belch for the Hippophant, a speeded up whinny for Eohippus -horsekind and random factors only knows what for the crocoduck, which is seen only in Creationist thinking, and doesn't exist in evolution.

And the marvellous chandeliers again. Well, striplighting would have been cheaper, but that would have given the game away, really. And again, I thought "This isn't a working model of a functioning Ark." (apart from not floating) any more than the Creation museum is a scientific explanation of the alternative theory to evolution. It is a Faith -claim made of wood. It is a Holy Relic as fake (if evidence counts) as the True Nail.

There was a lot of Praise -studded Hamm-talk about the Other Ark in the Netherlands, also 'Full size' (it is actually 100 feet shorter) and why not? There are two Arks supposed to be on Ararat (that's 2 more than there really are) (1). AiG implied that they were inundated with visitors. A Skeptic site said that there were more skeptics (e.g Bill Nye) turned up out of curiosity than Believers and the first day "tanked - and tanked badly". Deserted car -park; empty queue lanes. Ticket windows with no custom.

No results yet on the rush of thousands expected for the week-end. If the alarmed faithful don't rush on Saturday to make this Work, they never will. Would I gloat if this turned out to be a disaster for Hamm, Creationism and Christian Fundameltalism? How can I not? Aside from the idiocies this man speaks and writes, the horrible mindbending indoctrination of captive audience kiddies I watched in one video and the sheer waste of money on this assembly -kit fantasy, it takes an absolute train wreck of their efforts to stop claims the Lord has answered their prayers.

Oh well, Diagon Alley for me this year, I think.

P.s I didn't realize what a Bible-Disneyland this is. They have a Tower of Babel, a 1st C village (no doubt it has a cowshed and crib as well as a carpenters; shop, and a synagogue with a heap of handy stones outside.

Pp.s There was one mention of the Hamm -Nye debate raising funds (sale of Ark bonds). I doubt that rally made a lt of difference, and I have no doubt that it was right to do it. For me, it is a milestone between the Dawkins Bus -advert and the Dover ruling. We were all agog to see who'd win. The Faithful had already posted their celebrations at Hamm's victory. Well, despite Hamm actually looking the better speaker, Nye demolished Hamm's argument before he even made them. From then on it was just knocking balls around.

(1) and of course there are (at least) two Holy Sepulchres. Neither of those can really be right, either.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-10-2016 at 06:54 AM..

Old 07-10-2016, 05:43 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,437 times
Quote:
No, it comes under the heading of "It is for Israel."

Paul the apostle is for the nations. He is the nations' apostle. We don't have to sell all we have to get into the kingdom. We don't even get into the kingdom Christ spoke of which is an earthly kingdom. Ours is heavenly, among the celestials, and we are saved by grace, not works like the Israelites are.
Really? Didn't Jesus say just that to the rich young man - sell all you have and follow me? And didn't the disciples in the early church have everything in common, and sell their possessions and pool the money also? And weren't Ananias and Sapphira killed by God when they decided to lie and hold some of their money back?

Maybe in the modern world the lifestyle of the early church would be not very feasible, but in any case everything I have ever read in the Bible concerning the stewardship of money stands in direct contradiction to millon-dollar theme parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.