Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 03:32 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of people saying there absolutely is a God and He is perfect, and I see a lot of people saying there can't be a God because of all the logical fallacies (free will to "choose," when God can already see that we aren't going to choose correctly, omniscience v. God's waiting to see what we'll actually choose, etc.).

But I don't really see anybody entertaining the idea that perhaps there is a God, but He isn't perfect and He can't do everything nor see the future in an exact way.

Am I the only person who has ever wondered this?

People say God must be perfect because He created everything. (I capitalize the "H" in respect to believers.) But I create things all the time. I create breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. I create new articles for my job (I'm a writer). I created three children. And I sure as hell am not perfect, nor can I see the future.

If there is a God, why do we suppose He must be perfect? Indeed, in many religions, the gods aren't perfect. Look into, for example, Greek, Roman, Scandinavian or Celtic mythology for hundreds upon hundreds of examples of gods screwing up, being jealous, being petty, being horny for others' spouses, playing tricks on one another, getting hurt, and taking gambles and not winning them.

We live in a predominantly Judeo-Christian society (well, predominantly Christian, by the numbers) so the argument is usually: Hey, I found this inconsistency, so that means there can't be a God, or God would have prevented/done something/not been jealous/not screwed up (the Flood, for example, which God actually apologizes for...if he apologizes, he must have screwed up, n'est c'est pas?).

What if God is very capable of things we can never be capable of, and much stronger than we are, but He's not perfect? Why isn't that a possibility?

Discuss. Unless I'm the only heathen who ever thought of such a blasphemy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 03:46 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Define perfect. Otherwise we have no basis for a discussion.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Define perfect. Otherwise we have no basis for a discussion.
Okay. For my purposes I'm talking about omniscience and omnipotence. I'm also talking about being incapable of making a mistake.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:25 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
(I capitalize the "H" in respect to believers.)
Talk about political correctness gone wild.

As for the original question... you're watering down the perfect image of what believers have of god. I doubt you're going to get many takers on the notion of a regular Joe Schmo kind of god (lower case "g" in respect to skeptics who don't change their language Moderator cut: deleted )

Last edited by june 7th; 04-06-2013 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: Rudeness x1

Old 04-05-2013, 05:29 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Probably because the religions built around monothiestic God's don't work too well if he isn't perfect.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:25 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Interesting concept. I think Kurt Vonnegut could've written a fine tome on the topic.

Of all the gods which I've heard or read about, I consider none perfect - most especially the Abrahamic version. What I find by turns interesting, amusing, and/or disconcerting, is that Christian (and probably Muslim) fundamentalists, think their god is perfect.

They actually read their holy books that describe the terrible deeds attributed to their god and not only excuse them - but applaud them.

At least the Greeks, Romans, Norse etc. acknowledged the human traits of their pantheons and even they usually had to face unpleasant consequences related to some of their deeds.

People are weird.

You can quote me.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:40 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Interesting concept. I think Kurt Vonnegut could've written a fine tome on the topic.

Whoa, hold on there we have some people here who say "just cuz it's written in a book" doesn't make it true. So no quoting them dang books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Best of all, the reason for the above absurd notion is because someone wrote it in a book so it MUST be true! HAHAHAHA!

Old 04-05-2013, 06:57 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Of all the gods which I've heard or read about, I consider none perfect - most especially the Abrahamic version. What I find by turns interesting, amusing, and/or disconcerting, is that Christian (and probably Muslim) fundamentalists, think their god is perfect.

They actually read their holy books that describe the terrible deeds attributed to their god and not only excuse them - but applaud them.

At least the Greeks, Romans, Norse etc. acknowledged the human traits of their pantheons and even they usually had to face unpleasant consequences related to some of their deeds.

People are weird.

You can quote me.
She was a fool, and so am I, and so is anyone who thinks he sees what God is Doing, [writes Bokonon].”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Old 04-05-2013, 08:12 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
What if God was one of us

Joan Osborne - One Of Us - YouTube

Old 04-05-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's not "political correctness" - go look up the definition.

Our OP was simply being polite, what a concept!
Thanks, ((LM))! And thanks to everyone who has answered so far, but really...with so many thinkers here, really, nobody has ever wondered about this? Not even back when (some of us) were Christians, Jewish, etc. (I've seen quite a few stories here that reference that people were formerly religious)?

I'm agnostic, for the record. I question stuff like this frequently. Maybe I'm just weird?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality