Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 02:14 PM

2,212 posts, read 553,535 times

Advertisements

Is it right for us to believe God only for things that are not impossible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 02:20 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,347,748 times
No, it's non-right to unbelieve dogs not only for the things which aren't not antipossible.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:26 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,058,943 times
why believe anything? Why not know?

Why believe that it will rain today when you can know that it might rain today?

Something is known Beyond a reasonable doubt if the laws of cause and effect make it impossible for it not to be true

I KNOW with certainty that a 2 headed coin will come up heads if flipped.

If the coin has a heads and a tails then I dont know what it will come up as but I KNOW the probability is 50/50.

If I have 3 coins in my pocket, one with 2 heads, another with 2 tails, and another with one head and one tail and I pull one out at random and, without looking at it, flip it then I dont know the true probability for that particular coin (which could be 0 or 50 or 100 percent) but I still KNOW the a priori bayesian probability for that particular coin is 50/50.

If I continue flipping that particular coin and observing the results then the Bayesian probability for that particular coin will gradually change and approach the true probability for that particular coin.

Put simply if I keep getting heads then I will start expecting to see heads. But even after a thousand heads there is still a very small chance that I just got lucky 1000 times.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:38 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,077,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
No, it's non-right to unbelieve dogs not only for the things which aren't not antipossible.
OMG.

Could not have said it better myself.

Two thumbs up. We would ALL do well to remember this.

When are you going to quit the spam, Albert Finch? Nobody wants to join your organization and lie on cots waiting for the spaceship to come.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Nobody wants to join your organization and lie on cots waiting for the spaceship to come.
Well, I mean, will there be juice boxes and crullers?

Old 07-19-2016, 02:43 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,077,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Well, I mean, will there be juice boxes and crullers?
Yes.

And holy all-encompassing love such as you've never ever felt!

Plus spaceships and death.

Can we count you in?

Old 07-19-2016, 02:47 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	dalek.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	172611

Old 07-19-2016, 03:41 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,105,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
why believe anything? Why not know?

Why believe that it will rain today when you can know that it might rain today?

Something is known Beyond a reasonable doubt if the laws of cause and effect make it impossible for it not to be true

I KNOW with certainty that a 2 headed coin will come up heads if flipped.

If the coin has a heads and a tails then I dont know what it will come up as but I KNOW the probability is 50/50.

If I have 3 coins in my pocket, one with 2 heads, another with 2 tails, and another with one head and one tail and I pull one out at random and, without looking at it, flip it then I dont know the true probability for that particular coin (which could be 0 or 50 or 100 percent) but I still KNOW the a priori bayesian probability for that particular coin is 50/50.

If I continue flipping that particular coin and observing the results then the Bayesian probability for that particular coin will gradually change and approach the true probability for that particular coin.

Put simply if I keep getting heads then I will start expecting to see heads. But even after a thousand heads there is still a very small chance that I just got lucky 1000 times.
There are certain things, a huge majority of our day to day life stuff, where we do, and we should know before we take a decision. I agree to that part; however, there is stuff in our daily life, that you and I do, without "knowing" the outcome.

If you follow your own logic, then you should not get on a plane because no matter how many thousands of historical flight data you study, you cannot know for sure if the plane will safely reach the destination.

There is always a chance of crash, YET you put your faith in it. And you DO get on the plane using a FAITH that is based on your research, observation, intelligence and logic.

Those who look for God, perhaps take the same path. They look for signs of God and establish a faith, based upon their own research by using their own intelligence and logic and by exercising their right of making their own free choice.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:42 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,661,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Finch View Post
Is it right for us to believe God only for things that are not impossible?
Why don't you ever come back and answer your own questions?

Old 07-19-2016, 03:57 PM

9,699 posts, read 10,055,137 times
You could go to the local cemetery and pray to raise the dead , which God Can do , but likely He will not as it will stir up controversy in the local community and even stir up trouble with the devil , where God needs certain condition to raise the dead .......... Same as going to the local river and pray to walk on water , as God could do that but it would also stir up controversy in the local community , which does not fit into the plan if God ..........Still believer can pray for the baptism of Holy Spirit , were all power for freedom in Christ will come , but if the church were they go condemn the baptism of Holy Spirit then Jesus will know the tolerances of the ministry and people may have to go an attend a different church which blesses Jesus gifts of the baptism of Holy spirit instead of blaspheming the Holy spirit , as these gift will make it possible to believe many impossible blessing of Christ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality