Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 09:28 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

I would also point out that it was a staunch atheist state senator from Nebraska that tried to sue God. It's not just the religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 12:08 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I would also point out that it was a staunch atheist state senator from Nebraska that tried to sue God. It's not just the religious.
How much equivalence do you give the two cases?

Old 08-13-2016, 12:11 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
How much equivalence do you give the two cases?
I personally think they're both blowhard nut jobs. They ought both be laughed out of court and have their rights to sue taken away.

Sadly, in the case of the atheist state senator, he's a very intelligent man who has been to law school and passed the Bar Exam. He COULD have been a lawyer but he refused to take the oath to uphold the Constitution. He should know better.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:12 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Support the mentally ill!

Old 08-13-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I personally think they're both blowhard nut jobs. They ought both be laughed out of court and have their rights to sue taken away.

Sadly, in the case of the atheist state senator, he's a very intelligent man who has been to law school and passed the Bar Exam. He COULD have been a lawyer but he refused to take the oath to uphold the Constitution. He should know better.
You believe that an atheist would seriously sue God?

Old 08-13-2016, 01:47 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well this is a new low.

Of course this won't go anywhere. But it seems like a pretty good representation of the "thinking" of many fundamentalists on the subject. If they COULD bring a suit like this, they would.
Several years ago I was engaged in an online religious discussion with a Christian woman who proceeded to threaten to "have me arrested" for the crime of contradicting her religious beliefs. Apparently she genuinely thought it was a crime to not be a Christian and to openly say so. These are the people who are driving the religious right. They have a make believe understanding of our laws and our system of government, because they have lived their entire lives in a make believe world of their own construction. They are now attempting to "take back the country." A country which in fact never existed.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:41 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
I can't wait to see the roughly 300 million gays in the world countersue her for... oh, I dunno... whatever. Defamation? Harassment? There must be something. $1000 apiece, but willing to settle out of court for, say, $1 apiece. That'd be reasonable, right?

Someone make it happen, please!

Old 08-13-2016, 06:06 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I can't wait to see the roughly 300 million gays in the world countersue her for... oh, I dunno... whatever. Defamation? Harassment? There must be something. $1000 apiece, but willing to settle out of court for, say, $1 apiece. That'd be reasonable, right?

Someone make it happen, please!
Nah, I doubt her suit will even go to trial. There's no legal basis for suing a class of people for existing, which is basically what she's doing.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Nah, I doubt her suit will even go to trial. There's no legal basis for suing a class of people for existing, which is basically what she's doing.
She epitomizes why I hope there's at least a handful of well-funded scientists somewhere, working on a cure for stupid.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
She epitomizes why I hope there's at least a handful of well-funded scientists somewhere, working on a cure for stupid.
There's a cure for stupid, something like what Billy Bob Thornton send Bruce Willis to blow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality