Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:09 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times

Advertisements

Often in these discussions, when it comes down to giving authority to the bible, we hear the words from believers, usually when they have no other discussion point to make, that the bible is "the inspired words of god".

How would one know? How would one test that hypothesis without using the bible as its own authority, as that is just a circular argument?

Some say one needs to let the spirit into one's heart? WTH? The heart is a muscle, with no thinking ability whatsoever. Yes, the ancients use to think it was the center of one's being, but we know that is wrong. And if that is a metaphorical statement, one can say anything else in the bible is metaphorical and allegorical, at best.

So, how do we KNOW that your god inspired the bible as it exists today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 10:13 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Often in these discussions, when it comes down to giving authority to the bible, we hear the words from believers, usually when they have no other discussion point to make, that the bible is "the inspired words of god".

How would one know? How would one test that hypothesis without using the bible as its own authority, as that is just a circular argument?

Some say one needs to let the spirit into one's heart? WTH? The heart is a muscle, with no thinking ability whatsoever. Yes, the ancients use to think it was the center of one's being, but we know that is wrong. And if that is a metaphorical statement, one can say anything else in the bible is metaphorical and allegorical, at best.

So, how do we KNOW that your god inspired the bible as it exists today?
We believe what the individual books of the Bible attest to themselves, and other books. We read it and recognize that it is what it says it is. I'm firmly convinced Romans is an inspired work after spending a semester studying it -- recognizing that for a man in the 1st Century to write it and reference the OT as many times as he did, it's inspired.

Besides that, we can look at the inspired prophecies that came true. Psalm 22 was written about 1000 years before crucifixion, yet it describes crucifixion. We know that there were amazing details of Jesus' birth and his life that were predicted hundreds and thousands of years prior to his living.

I know...none of these will convince you. That's ok--it's not my job to argue you into belief.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:20 AM

19,044 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Here's conversation I had with a Pentecostal guy while back.
How do you know it's true?
because it's in the Bible.
Ok, so how do you know Bible is correct?
Because it's given to us by god.
Ok, so how do you know it's given by god?

That's where you stop and give up.
Actually reminds me of a joke

Where to you get your cash from?
from a drawer in the chest
Who puts cash there?
My wife does.
Where she gets cash from?
I give it to her
Where you get cash from?
Already told you - from drawer in the chest.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

Who puts cash there?
My wife does.
I give it to her
Where you get cash from?
You realize that not all Christians think that way, right?

Old 06-30-2016, 10:31 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

Who puts cash there?
My wife does.
I give it to her
Where you get cash from?
Unlike you, who are obviously wise and sensible...they don't "stop and give up".
They keep it up...some, for years.
Indicative of their level of good sense and wisdom.
Inquire once, maybe twice...keep it up after that, it is rude, disrespectful, harassing and most of all foolish.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:52 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
We believe what the individual books of the Bible attest to themselves, and other books. We read it and recognize that it is what it says it is. I'm firmly convinced Romans is an inspired work after spending a semester studying it -- recognizing that for a man in the 1st Century to write it and reference the OT as many times as he did, it's inspired.

Besides that, we can look at the inspired prophecies that came true. Psalm 22 was written about 1000 years before crucifixion, yet it describes crucifixion. We know that there were amazing details of Jesus' birth and his life that were predicted hundreds and thousands of years prior to his living.

I know...none of these will convince you. That's ok--it's not my job to argue you into belief.
Actually, as a pastor, that's precisely your job. :-)

Old 06-30-2016, 10:55 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
Quote:

Could it be possible that Romans and the Gospels were written knowing what was "prophecied" in the OT and followed that narrative to look as if it came true?

Old 06-30-2016, 11:04 AM

20,021 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
I'm firmly convinced Romans is an inspired work after spending a semester studying it -- recognizing that for a man in the 1st Century to write it and reference the OT as many times as he did, it's inspired.
Romans claims Paul's authorship and Acts of the Apostles claims to include an objective and factual narrative of Paul's ministry.

Assuming for the sake of argument that Romand was written by Paul from prison, he was a Pharisee and would have committed key scriptures to memory. That is not extraordinary or unusual. And Paul was, for his day, an intellectual. So I see this as suggestive that Paul was an intelligent and diligent student of the OT which he was able to put to good use. That's a far cry from miraculous though.
Quote:
It says things that are not incompatible with Crucifixion. But it doesn't describe crucifixion and it can just as well be describing any other form of death or indeed existential crisis. It's describing the common human experience of feeling forsaken by god and man and the hope that somehow future experience will be different, thus justifying faith in either.

"All my bones are out of joint" for example can be literal or (far more likely in *ahem* context) figurative.

But we are pattern matching creatures and we look for matches and confirmation bias provides them. If the author is writing about bones being out of joint and being thirsty, he MUST be literal and he MUST be channeling the future words of Jesus, because god and prophecy and theology.

So I read Psalm 22 and see someone ranting about abandonment and suffering and hoping for some mercy and you read it and see a particular person describing a particular event, related much later in a particular document that for all we know was made up to FIT Psalm 22.

This is how all prophecy works. It's general enough to read into it or fit it in with whatever you want to. Not actually impressive at all.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Actually, as a pastor, that's precisely your job. :-)
No. It really isn't. I can provide you the evidence, but I can't make you think. God moves the hearts of men.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Could it be possible that Romans and the Gospels were written knowing what was "prophecied" in the OT and followed that narrative to look as if it came true?
Perhaps. But consider that the apostle Paul wrote Romans in the 1st Century, without the aid of computers...I'm amazed by it. If you take the time to study it, it's an amazing piece of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality