Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2016, 04:57 PM

4,765 posts, read 1,993,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
That isn't how the burden of proof works. If you make a claim, you need to back it up with proof. The ancients who wrote the OT made claims, but they did not back them up and neither has anybody currently been able to back it up.
Actually question do not make claims. Also, the first claims were made by Troutdude, so he has the responsibility to back what he said up.

Quote:
Are you consistent in your beliefs though? If you believe the claims and stories of the ancients who wrote the OT, do you believe the claims and stories of the Koran, the Norse Eddas, and the ancient Chinese? If you don't believe those writings, why not, and how can you differentiate these from the Bible?
There will be things in all the writing you mentions that will go against what the Bible says. IMO, that makes them unreliable sources of truth. IMO the Bible has teaching that are beyond man's ability. Does any other religion teach loving their enemies? God says, to be strong we must become weak; to live we must die.

Unless there is evidence that gospels were written to make it sound like Jesus fulfilled the OT Messianic prophecies, that is another indication it came from an omniscient God.

Evey born again Christian will tell you that God has given His children an internal assurance that His word is all true. I can't explain that and I certainly do not expect you to believe it, but we know it is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 05:07 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Sure could use Matadora on this one.

She must be on holiday.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:21 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
I would rather be outside digging in he dirt, planting a garden.
I can imagine that.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Thanks very much for responding. So many people dodge questions, and I think that we all lose something when this happens.
If it is a legitimate instead of the foolishness I get from some, I always answer it or say I don't know. Now I have not yet figure out how to find all of he post sent to me, so I may overlook some from time to time.

Quote:
Thanks. I see all of that. It's a wonderful thought. There is a problem with all of that though. You have not presented any proof, only claims. Without some sort of evidence, I am not capable f accepting these stories as the defining factor of my life.
There is not proof of spiritual truths. God requires we accept them by faith, which is no problem for most Christians.

[quote]I see this differently. I don't know anything about any learning disabilities that you may have. Your writing skills are good though. Is it possible that you never found anything that interested you, or you were never in the right environment to take advantage of the skills you do have? <<

I did find things that interested me. Sports. I tried anything that had a ball associated with it. Sports gave me the same pleasure that reading gives some in this forum. After I finished college, I did almost no reading until I became a Christian. Then I studied the Bible about 2-3 hours a day, almost every day. When I retired I studied it 4-8 hours every day. I got away from serious Bible study for the past 2 years, but I am just now starting to get back to it.

Quote:
I am sure you realize that personal revelation is not a convincing argument.
Of course. You ask, and I answered.

Quote:
You put your story forward, then I can put my story forward. They inevitably conflict, and we have no way of reconciling the differences.
Not now, but there is a way of reconciling them. I was not raised up in a church going family and did not become a Christian until I was 45. You still have time and one day maybe someone will say something and the light will go on for you.

Quote:
This is why I ask for evidence of biblical claims. It is one way of reconciling these competing claims. At this point, I am convinced that biblical claims cannot be backed up, as I have been asking the questions for over 30 years.
The Messianic prophecies can be backed up unless you think that men who considered bearing false was a sin against God wee bearing false witness to us.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:30 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
I am academically and intellectually challenged. I am not dumb, but I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. I dislike reading and I hate to study.
This alone is sufficient reason for me to ignore your posts and encourage you to just keep on loving God and each other every day and repent when you don't. There is no need for you to understand anything since your love of God is not based on your intellect.
In Christ's love,
~Mystic

Old 09-04-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Folks. Dont forget to remind him of this the next time he goes blathering on about the ToE being so wrong.
Let me remind you that I do have a college degree. That idicates I have a good reading comprehension level.

I keep asking all of you evo fundamentalist to show me one thing, just one, the TOE has proved scientifically. The silence is deafening. Would you like to be the hero and be the first to do so?

I have put on my prophecy hat and predict Raifius will comeback with insuts or some kind of foolishness, but he will not provide even 1 example. Interesting, I can prove more in the Bible he mocks, than he can prove in 100+ years of evo guessing. Go figure.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:07 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,136 times
Kent Hovind had a "Ph.D."

Old 09-04-2016, 06:20 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:

I keep asking all of you evo fundamentalist to show me one thing, just one, the TOE has proved scientifically. The silence is deafening. Would you like to be the hero and be the first to do so?
You are asking the wrong question. The ToE doesn't prove anything, in the same way the Theory of Gravity doesn't prove anything. Theories are explanations of facts that we observe in the natural world. They are observable, testable, falsifiable and they make predictions. They don't prove anything.

The challenge you threw down is a lot like my asking you why your car doesn't get you a job. The car is a tool, it allows you to drive to your job, and if you are in the delivery business it helps you to do a job, in and of itself, it doesn't get you a job though, and not believing in cars because it did not gain you employment is very similar to not believing in the ToE.

Now, if you had asked what use the ToE could be put to, that is another story. The ToE predicts species will adapt new traits over time, and we see that with bacteria developing resistances to antibiotics. ToE predicted transitional fossil species, and Tiktaalik was found.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:05 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
You need to learn that hyperbole does not make comments more believable. No one but you has used "poof" in relation to the creation. If you don' think "God did it" is most logical, give me something you think is more logical.

I can't believe you think it isn't logical. However, instead of finding fault, give me wha tyou think is mor logical.

The middle of the roaderz need to have a hurt put on them. Jump off the fence and come down on one side or the other. Middle of he road is wishy washy. Maybe you need o be with the children more. The adults you are listening to are leading you astray.
no. I won't get off the fence and side with you or tranz and ex fundy. You guys have emotional based claims rooted in glitchy brains. that's not my world. I only do "how the universe works", not "how I want the universe to work"

The most logical statement is ..."we don't know how it all started"

what you call wishy washy I call stating a fact. "we don't know".

you say god did it.
How did he do it?

Old 09-04-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
no. I won't get off the fence and side with you or tranz and ex fundy.
I am not asking you to side with me. I am saying those in the middle need to pick one side or the other,

Quote:
You guys have emotional based claims rooted in glitchy brains. that's not my world. I only do "how the universe works", not "how I want the universe to work"
You are not qualified to analyze me or anyone else. To think you can is an indication of an "glitchy" brain.

Quote:
The most logical statement is ..."we don't know how it all started"
Anoher sign of glitchy brain

Quote:
what you call wishy washy I call stating a fact. "we don't know".
If you don't know then you can't know if I am wrong.

Quote:
you say god did it.
How did he do it?
I told you. Evidently it will not sink into a glitchy brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality