Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 04:00 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
It's such a good book. I love listening to Krauss...he narrates the audio book. I need to listen to it in the day time and not at night in bed. I tend to fall asleep and wake up several chapters later and then have to back up and repeat.

It's all they can do to try and look credible ...sadly it only works on those who are not scientifically literate. That's how creationists are able to dupe the sheeple who possess no understanding of science.

It's one of the worst examples of how dumbed down Americans are. I know this issue is not unique to the US, however I see no excuse as to why this country is busting at the seems with folks who claim to be science knowledgeable but who demonstrate otherwise.

I will start on Stephen Hawking’s new book The Grand Design, once I finish Krauss's book.
Thanks, I just booked out The Grand Design from our local library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 04:41 PM

4,765 posts, read 1,993,887 times
Quote:
When a person does not possess scientific literacy, then they should refrain from making ignorant claims with respect to what we know about the Universe. Seems like a common sense and humble thing to do.
I suggest for a person who does not know that yes something can come from nothing to read up on the String-Theory/M-Theory.

Keep in mind that science establishes Theories based on predictions, observations of those predictions as well as experimentation.

Think of our universe as the surface of a soap bubble, which is expanding. We live on the skin of this bubble. But string theory predicts that there should be other bubbles out there, which can collide with other bubbles or even sprout or bud baby bubbles, as in a bubble bath.

But how can an entire universe come out of nothing? This apparently violates the conservation of matter and energy.

But there is a simple answer.

You can read it ***here***.
That did not answser the question. here a statementfrom that article;

"In Stephen Hawking’s new book The Grand Design, he says that because of the law of gravity, the universe can and will create itself out of nothing. But I thought that gravity was a function of mass, as per Einstein. How can you have gravity before mass and therefore how can gravity explain mass?"

Notice they started with gravity. How can gravity create itself out of nothing? As usual Hawking said it happened but offered no mechanism as to how it could.

Quote:
Hawking goes one step farther and says that therefore here is no need of God, since God is not necessary to create the universe. I wouldn't go that far.
Right Kaku holds out the possibility that God did it.

Quote:
I am in the process of listening (audio book) to Lawrence Krauss's, A Universe from Nothing. Perhaps those who are not scientifically literate should obtain a copy to read, and start filling the gaping holes in their knowledge.
I will guarantee that Krauss will offer wild speculations, but will not offer a mechanism that would make it possible. I challenge to post one piece of evidence he provides.

Perhaps those who are not scientifically literate , but think they are, should learn to evaluate the data these grand speculaters offer.

To say something can create it self out of nothing is even more absurd than a dog leg becoming a fin.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
...snip...

To say something can create it self out of nothing is even more absurd than a dog leg becoming a fin.
And yet you claim the "god" who created everything came from nothing.

You are a self-blinded hypocrite, like all bible fundies. And you reveal yourself as such with every empty post.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:58 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

You are a self-blinded hypocrite, like all bible fundies. And you reveal yourself as such with every empty post.
I dont know what freaks me out more.
"nothing" forever then something or "something" forever

I guess it doesn't freak me out enough to have to make up omni-dude.
But then again, I find seeing a mass extinction event in progress and possible production of the next life form very ... very ... cool too.

Krauss's nothing isn't nothing, it is something + (-) something = zero.
That's not nothing.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:33 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
That did not answer the question. here a statement from that article;
"In Stephen Hawking’s new book The Grand Design, he says that because of the law of gravity, the universe can and will create itself out of nothing. But I thought that gravity was a function of mass, as per Einstein. How can you have gravity before mass and therefore how can gravity explain mass?"

Notice they started with gravity. How can gravity create itself out of nothing? As usual Hawking said it happened but offered no mechanism as to how it could.
Hey every one...here is a prime example of a lowly dishonest creationist practice . It's called quote mining.

Quote Mining is the practice of quoting out of context (sometimes referred to as "contextomy" and quote mining), is an informal fallacy and a type of false attribution in which a passage is removed from its surrounding matter in such a way as to distort its intended meaning.

This link provides wonderful examples of dishonest creationist quote mining examples. Quote Mine Project

Can a Universe Create Itself Out of Nothing?

Back to the example. Open the above link and you will see the portion that was quote mined. What is ridiculous about this quote mine attempt is that they quote mined the actual question being asked! LOL

Today, Dr. Kaku addresses a question posed by Brian Flatt.

The article explains it nicely...you just need to be able to understand the answer provided in the article.

Cupper also posted a great video featuring Lawrence Krauss who does an excellent job of explaining it.

Prof. Lawrence M. Krauss is an internationally known theoretical physicist with wide research interests, including the interface between elementary particle physics and cosmology, where his studies include the early universe, the nature of dark matter, general relativity and neutrino astrophysics.

In other-words Krauss knows what he's talking about. LAWRENCE M. KRAUSS BIO

***Creationists are some of the most dishonest folks you will ever come across.***

Old 09-16-2016, 06:42 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
...snip....

***Creationists are some of the most dishonest folks you will ever come across.***
Eusie and omega being prime examples.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:49 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Quote:
And why they are despised. We can take their misguided faith, we cannot take their blatant dishonesty.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:09 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
And why they are despised. We can take their misguided faith, we cannot take their blatant dishonesty.
Spot on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Thanks, I just booked out The Grand Design from our local library.
Cool!

I just purchased it from Audible.

Last edited by Matadora; 09-16-2016 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Audible purchase

Old 09-17-2016, 01:36 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
It's no accident that he called himself 'Eusebius'.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:21 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,993,887 times
Quote:
No I don't. I claim God is eternal.

Quote:
YAWN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality