Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 11:06 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times

Advertisements

Ok, so you were drowning...someone threw you a floatie.
Now, is that the end of it?

So God saves you...you are no longer committing murders, rape, robberies, lies,
deceptions.; you are no longer drinking, drugging...and you're giving to the
charities and volunteering.
You are reading the Bible and acting kindly and in your way inspiring others.

Is that it?

You may have left that past debauchery and depression behind and are now ecstatic,
but is that the end of your journey?
Isn't there more? (And more and more and more and more and more?)

What would you say there is more of for you to do or to know or to experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 11:10 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,611 times
The word is Sanctification.
A process whereby you are (willingly and obediently) molded more and more into the likeness of Christ.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:24 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Actually, OP, the dogma is that being saved simply provides forgiveness. Sanctification is a separate process. It is a bit vague on specifics. On the one hand "If any man be in Christ he is a new creation, the old has passed away, behold, all is become new". That sounds pretty automatic, if not at all congruent with experienced reality. On the other hand, one must struggle / work / grow into "the likeness of Christ" as chadgates points out. Different denominations emphasize more one or the other and it comes out somewhere in between.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
The word is Sanctification.
A process whereby you are (willingly and obediently) molded more and more
into the likeness of Christ.
Ooo, I like that ...I actually didn't know that was what Sanctification meant...thank you.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Actually, OP, the dogma is that being saved simply provides forgiveness.
mordie, I'm no fundie, but doesn't it mean you can sit back bec you are
guaranteed Heaven? (And yes, forgiven, of course.)
Isn't that what many think?
Bec that is what I 'get'...Journey is over cuz I'm home free...I can be as pompous as I please ...and
someone else may very likely be going to hell
...ie, if they do not get saved....
as if that is the 'end of the road'.

But, if many here agree with chadgates, that would make me happy.
Why? Bec Christ is at a level that is ...well...

Old 12-14-2016, 02:28 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Is that it?

You may have left that past debauchery and depression behind and are now ecstatic,

This is what turns me off to traditional Christianity (I'm not implying that this is what you personally believe, Miss Hepburn.) Here's how that theology looks from my perspective:

1. God put us down here on earth. We had no choice in the matter.
2. His purpose in doing so: He wanted to make sure He would have someone to worship Him for eternity.
3. His first two offspring ate some fruit He'd told them not to eat and He decided that their posterity would bear their guilt forever.
4. Those who acknowledge that they are depraved and are completely deserving of eternal torture, but who belief in His Son, Jesus Christ, will be spared this torture.
5. Those who don't, regardless of the fact that they may have lived and died without every having heard of him, will spend eternity in horrible torment.
6. It doesn't matter how we live. Having "correct beliefs" is all that matters. Furthermore, a momentary spiritual experience (aka "being saved") seals the deal.
7. When we die, it's all over, except for the eternal suffering or the eternal praising God.

That's so far from my understanding of His plan that it's not even funny. Here's what I believe instead:

1. God put us down here on earth, and we did have a choice in the matter.
2. His purpose in doing so: To provide us with experiences that would give us the opportunity to become more like Him. It was a 100% unselfish decision on His part.
3. His first two offspring ate some fruit He'd told them not to eat and thus, we would inherit their propensity to sin. We wouldn't be born guilty of anything, though; we'd be born clean and pure.
4. We aren't "depraved." We're His sons and daughters. We are far from perfect, but He has provided a means by which we can ultimately attain perfection. The Atonement of His Son, Jesus Christ, is what makes this possible.
5. Everyone who has ever lived will be given the opportunity to hear, understand, and accept the gospel of Jesus Christ, if not prior to their death, then during the period of time between their death and their resurrection and judgment.
6. It matters very much how we live. Life is all about becoming the best people we can be, and helping others to become the best they can be. It's a process, not a one-time event.
7. When we are resurrected and judged, the vast, vast majority of us will be granted a portion of His glory and will live forever in a state far superior to anything we can imagine. The most faithful of His children will have the opportunity to grow and learn and progress literally for all of eternity (i.e. become sanctified) and will receive eternal life in His presence and in the presence of their loved ones.

Last edited by Katzpur; 12-14-2016 at 02:55 PM..

Old 12-14-2016, 03:05 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Just saying Hello, Ms. H.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:39 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Is that it?

Now we grow in Christ, being conformed to his image sanctification), and telling others about him. Matthew 28:18-20.

I teach it as Win...Build...Equip....

We are to Win people to Christ, Build them up in Christ, and Equip them to go out and win others to Christ, thereby repeating the process. It's what Jeuss commanded when he said to go and make disciples, baptizing and teaching them to obey all he commanded.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Just saying Hello, Ms. H.
That would be Miss Hepburn to you.
I am surprised I have not placed you on ignore.
Do not speak to me until you apologize, please.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Now we grow in Christ, being conformed to his image (sanctification), and telling others about him. Matthew 28:18-20.
I like that.
So being 'saved' was not enough for you...excellent....you stand out from many.
May I ask what is it that you do to be formed
more into the image of Christ?
I don't need to know, if it is too personal, ok...but it may inspire others. Thank you.
Or was it telling others about him only? If so, so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality