Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 02:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

Fundamentalist religions that teach hatred must be eliminated.

They are the #1 threat to the world today that isn't wearing an orange face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 02:04 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
What ever happened to hate the sin, but love the sinner? It's their SON for heck's sake. By going to his wedding, they are supporting him, not the wedding or disavowing their belief. It is a strange, twisted belief system of those, like you, who promulgate anything else. How are you different from a radical Islamist who hates Christians? What a disgusting philosophy.
No one suggested that we should hate a kid. We don't stone gay people or toss them off of buildings.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:09 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No one suggested that we should hate a kid. We don't stone gay people or toss them off of buildings.
Ahhh the at least we don't stone them defense. I am sure gay Christians across the planet are wiping their brows.

I prefer the just leave your brothers and sisters alone, philosophy.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:10 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Quote:
But it's okay to turn your back on them?
I don't think Jesus would approve.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:19 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
But it's okay to turn your back on them?
I don't think Jesus would approve.
Christian fundamentalists don't talk much about Jesus. They prefer his (putative) old man.

Liberal Christians are all about Jesus.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
weird how when the roles are reversed you're not so nice.
You've told me numerous times you are unhappy with my conduct. You frequently shake your finger at the people with whom you disagree. Maybe you should see if you can make it a sticky at the top of the forum. It would save you a lot of time.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Would he invite his dads? I mean, if he thinks they're committing a horrible sin, and he can't show any sign of endorsing their relationship or it would be an afront to God, why would he want them there? Or would be stipulate that they have to sit on separate sides of the church, and not touch, or- God forbid - kiss.

I want details.
Maybe the ordination includes a "Pray Away the Gay" ceremony.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:49 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
I have to wonder how much money the parents got, for being on the show. And I wonder how much of this was scripted or coached, by the show's producers.

But truly, those parents would probably have been serious downers, at a wedding. And they probably would have been knocking on every door in the neighborhood, trying to share "The News!". So honestly, who needs 'em?

Personally, I would have been more worried, had I been them, about my son's ugly hairdo, that grotesquely unflattering chinstrap beard, that little earbob, and those skinny jeans making his hips look a YARD wide. Those are "my beliefs", and I'm sticking with them!

I told our children, when they were still in elementary school, that if they were going to do anything tacky at their weddings (like having dancing), that I'd stay home. So, if the parent is a stickler for DOGMA, rather than for seemliness, then I suppose I understand.

As it is, we flew-in our daughter's husband-to-be's Bishop, from Scandinavia. And we flew-in our daughter's favorite Rabbi, from down Australia way. The Bishop and the Rebbe turned out to have LOTS in common (including multiple languages), so they and their wives ended up, after the wedding, taking our Gelandewagen down the Pacific Coast, all the way to La Jolla. Lucky for us, they tired-out, before continuing down the Baja. In that case we wouldn't have wanted the vehicle back.

And I've already told our sons, that if they want to marry their favorite six FWB friendgirls (sometimes, I go down to the Breakfast Room, and all six of them are at the table...), in one mass 2 Grooms & 6 Brides ceremony, that I'd be the happiest mother-in-law who ever lived - as long as the invitations were done properly, and there wasn't anything tacky/schmalzy/pageant-like about the wedding.

Anyway, I guess this means we don't give a flip about dogma, but do care a whole lot about aesthetics and status.

But thanks, OP! I love Australian TV, and now have a new show to watch on YouTube!

Old 02-07-2017, 02:49 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The most heart-rending part of it, to me personally, was when the young man told his parents, "Over the past 18 years, I've not called on you when I needed you." He's sharing his grief at feeling abandoned by them, and he's saying to his parents he STILL needs them, and they just "civilly" ignore his plea. I mean, they didn't even ACKNOWLEDGE his pain. HOW do you harden your heart against your child like that?
Well, it's easy.... You become a religious whack job, and value that over your own flesh and blood...

Read: You become a terrible person and think you aren't.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:19 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I have to wonder how much money the parents got, for being on the show. And I wonder how much of this was scripted or coached, by the show's producers.

But truly, those parents would probably have been serious downers, at a wedding. And they probably would have been knocking on every door in the neighborhood, trying to share "The News!". So honestly, who needs 'em?

Personally, I would have been more worried, had I been them, about my son's ugly hairdo, that grotesquely unflattering chinstrap beard, that little earbob, and those skinny jeans making his hips look a YARD wide. Those are "my beliefs", and I'm sticking with them!

I told our children, when they were still in elementary school, that if they were going to do anything tacky at their weddings (like having dancing), that I'd stay home. So, if the parent is a stickler for DOGMA, rather than for seemliness, then I suppose I understand.

As it is, we flew-in our daughter's husband-to-be's Bishop, from Scandinavia. And we flew-in our daughter's favorite Rabbi, from down Australia way. The Bishop and the Rebbe turned out to have LOTS in common (including multiple languages), so they and their wives ended up, after the wedding, taking our Gelandewagen down the Pacific Coast, all the way to La Jolla. Lucky for us, they tired-out, before continuing down the Baja. In that case we wouldn't have wanted the vehicle back.

And I've already told our sons, that if they want to marry their favorite six FWB friendgirls (sometimes, I go down to the Breakfast Room, and all six of them are at the table...), in one mass 2 Grooms & 6 Brides ceremony, that I'd be the happiest mother-in-law who ever lived - as long as the invitations were done properly, and there wasn't anything tacky/schmalzy/pageant-like about the wedding.

Anyway, I guess this means we don't give a flip about dogma, but do care a whole lot about aesthetics and status.

But thanks, OP! I love Australian TV, and now have a new show to watch on YouTube!
So, no scratch and sniff reply cards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality