Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 10:31 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,762,126 times

Advertisements

As an atheist, this makes no logical sense. The bible is clear in verses to say that this god is very offended by human "sin." I know fundies say that humans have only been here for about 6-10 thousand years but we have human fossils showing humans being around for 100,000 plus years and up to 2.8 million years if we count human like ancestors. Why does Bible god wait around until thousands of years have passed of "sinning" to bring about this "savior of sins" character? Why not have this Jesus come on the scene when the sinning began if god was so offended. The whole omniscience thing makes this even more illogical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 10:43 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
One possible explanation is that "sin" did not enter into the history of man until much later in development. Look at the nature of primitive gatherer-hunter societies. It seems fairly likely that greed and selfishness did not really become institutional until the development of agricultural societies about 10 millenia ago. Worth a thought.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:45 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,788 times
Much of the Bible makes no sense or jives with the laws of nature/physics/science.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:47 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Much of the Bible makes no sense or jives with the laws of nature/physics/science.
Just a note from Google search "jives with:" Jibe is a word that comes to us from nautical language, meaning: “to shift from one side to the other when running before the wind, as a fore-and-aft sail or its boom.” ... Ironically, the commentator used the word jive instead of jibe. Jive, on the other hand, refers to jazz and other catchy music.

Literature takes manyforms, and if you expect the Bible to be a physics textbook, or even pure history, you are barking up the wrong tree.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:03 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
A couple possible answers:

-To teach humanity about the depth of our sin.

If Jesus had shown up 20 minutes after Adam and Eve sinned, we never would have understood the depth and breadth of our sinfulness. Nor would we have understood how desperately we need God. It could be argued that one reason Adam and Eve sinned is because they didn’t fully comprehend how horrible it would be to live life disconnected from God.

Due to the long period of time in which we have wallowed in our sin, we now know — do we ever! — how wicked, evil, and brutal people can be.

-To wait until human theological development had evolved to the point where we could understand Jesus

One final view is that God waited for so long because mankind had to develop socially and spiritually enough in order to understand and receive the revelation of Jesus Christ.

https://redeeminggod.com/why-did-god...to-send-jesus/

Old 04-08-2017, 01:11 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

-To wait until human theological development had evolved to the point where we could understand Jesus

One final view is that God waited for so long because mankind had to develop socially and spiritually enough in order to understand and receive the revelation of Jesus Christ.

https://redeeminggod.com/why-did-god...to-send-jesus/
Yeh, and Jesus was not the first in the lineage, others came before him who could have accepted .
Jesus had a choice, he could have stayed a carpenter.
So free will figured into it.

Free will is also why God doesn't impose choices on us.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:35 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
As an atheist, this makes no logical sense. The bible is clear in verses to say that this god is very offended by human "sin." I know fundies say that humans have only been here for about 6-10 thousand years but we have human fossils showing humans being around for 100,000 plus years and up to 2.8 million years if we count human like ancestors. Why does Bible god wait around until thousands of years have passed of "sinning" to bring about this "savior of sins" character? Why not have this Jesus come on the scene when the sinning began if god was so offended. The whole omniscience thing makes this even more illogical.
What's more interesting is that there could be 100 and thousands of people who never heard of Jesus the savior after he came and was gone, since it was not some Internet or information highway era about 2000 years ago.

Folks who may have lived and died in today's China, Japan, or South Africa, Canada, and even in what we today call "United States" may have not known that a savor of their sins arrived and was put to cross in today's Israel or something. This is the time bracket when Jesus walked on earth and so did these millions of people who lived in far fetched geographical locations.

Sadly, I have asked this question as to what happens to the humans who lived and died in pre-Jesus era who never heard of Jesus?

And I was told that "they are in hell since the ONLY way to be saved is through Jesus."

Personally this philosophy or answer does not sit well with my logic and my intelligence so I refuse to believe in this doctrine.

It simply confirms my own belief that Jesus was a messanger of God just like many others BEFORE him (Moses, Abraham, Noah etc) and one after him (Muhammad) who were sent towards their assigned nation to preach monotheism.

God sent one or more messanger to every nation in the history. And when that nation's time was up, it was replaced by a new nation and new people that were sent another messenger.

Each nation will be judged by the message that their messanger brought to them.

And in the end, we will be responsible for the choices we have made on free will.

In my belief, there is no "savior of our sins" except for ownselves when we try to make an effort to live a morally concious life under God's guidance, and hope to be blessed by God who is merciful.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:48 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:
As an atheist, this makes no logical sense.
The whole omniscience thing makes this even more illogical.
I think thats always going to be difficult to wrap your mind around.
How can we have free will if God is omniscient. Its counter intuitive but logically possible.

God can know what I will do and yet my free will is still preserved.?

I know I have free will and I know God already knows which way I'll go,
but I don't KNOW EXACTLY WHAT God knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jBNpupE4_k

Old 04-08-2017, 02:06 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
If your mining for gold, you don't need the mountain , only the gold.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:30 PM

23,173 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
All God does is make himself bigger and that is logical. He takes a tiny piece of himself and others grow this spirit and God gets bigger and they share it and God gets bigger. I prefer to think of God as a big cloud of love that just grows.

But that is what we are taught, we are born inside a beast and we are to overcome the nature of this beast. We aren't born at birth, we are born after a time of study when the spirit of Christ is finally formed after a while, and now we find ourselves inside this house waiting our freedom to return to the spirit that birthed us, then we go down to an earth and we keep sharing, it keeps growing and that is the bottom line. People are appointed to be over the household of God to birth and raise a spirit that matures within them, a brand new thing that was not in you at birth, but something created in you as an animal. We took a long time to evolve and the bible is not against evolution, Moses was no dummy, he showed Adam naming every living thing and he showed Adam tilling and working in the garden reaping harvest after harvest until God said it wasn't good for him to be alone.

It is a story of Symbolism and Moses meant it to be read in the spirit, not to be understood as literal because he had Adam tilling and harvesting so long, and you can't till and harvest to even get one harvest in a 24 hour period, much less name every species of everything living and common sense would say it would take decades just to name the birds.

Moses knew what he was writing and he made no mistake about the timeline of 24 hours between Adam and Eve and what Adam had accomplished in those 24 hours, it would have taken centuries and Moses Knew it.

The bible teaches evolution, and no matter how many ways you can prove this, people choose to believe what they want to believe but the fact is that we are taught to overcome the spirit of a beast, the temple is in the skins of animals until the temple became human. We are shown Jacob putting on the skins of an animal to represent his brother and this is the same picture we always see, a man inside an animal.

Elijah walked around in the skins of an animal to say that he was the hidden son, and all the sin in the world is put on the head of an animal and the man's head it was put on was called a lamb, a bull, a goat, a ram.

The evolution of the temple itself shows evolution and I believe the stories in Genesis tells of our beginning, even from the moon slamming into the Earth and like a bride was created from Adam's own body, the moon is in a marriage dance with the earth and was created from the earth while the earth was put in a sleep of death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality