Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 09:21 AM

504 posts, read 300,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Obviously, it's 1 man, 1 woman. The Bible never defines "marriage" as being any of the others. You should learn the difference between "describe" and "define". They are 2 very differnt things.
Really? So where exactly in the Bible do we find that a marriage consists ONLY of one man and one woman? Chapter and verse would be appreciated.

The Bible clearly states that the other unions are marriages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 09:52 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
Really? So where exactly in the Bible do we find that a marriage consists ONLY of one man and one woman? Chapter and verse would be appreciated.

The Bible clearly states that the other unions are marriages.
Genesis 2.

Again...do you know the difference between description and definition? Or description and prescription?

I'm going to the doctor next week for a checkup. They'll likely record in my chart my height and weight (and note that I could lose a few pounds). If they write my weight down, are they TELLING me to weigh that much? Or are they merely recording a fact?

Last edited by Vizio; 02-08-2017 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Just fixed a type

Old 02-08-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Genesis 2.
It does not say that ONLY one man and woman constitutes a marriage. And there are a plethora of bible passages that condones multiple different marriages. The chart I posted outlines many of those.

Quote:
Again...do you know the difference between description and definition? Or description and prescription?

I'm going to the doctor next week for a checkup. They'll likely record in my chart my height and weight (and note that I could lose a few pounds). If they write my weight down, are they TELLING me to weigh that much? Or are they merely recording a fact?
Both Exodus 21:10 and Deuteronomy 21:15 give specific guidance as to how to deal with multiple wives. As you are well aware, I presume, that there is no place in the Bible that polygamy is not allowed, right? In Matthew 19, Jesus refers to the OT when asked about marriage. The OT clearly allows polygamy.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
It does not say that ONLY one man and woman constitutes a marriage. And there are a plethora of bible passages that condones multiple different marriages. The chart I posted outlines many of those.
We've been over this. You have a history of ignoring what the Bible actually says so you can substitute your own views of Christianity.

yes---it does say 1 man and 1 woman. Eve was created for Adam. Not Eve, Edna, and Martha. It was just Eve. Later on (the other books come chronologically much later, did you know that?), men took multiple wives, but it was never commanded.
Quote:

Both Exodus 21:10 and Deuteronomy 21:15 give specific guidance as to how to deal with multiple wives. As you are well aware, I presume, that there is no place in the Bible that polygamy is not allowed, right? In Matthew 19, Jesus refers to the OT when asked about marriage. The OT clearly allows polygamy.
No...they really don't suggest that multiple wives are ideal, nor does it suggest that a "marriage" is made up of 1 man and 3 wives. Please stop reading your own silly ideas into the text.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
We've been over this. You have a history of ignoring what the Bible actually says so you can substitute your own views of Christianity.

yes---it does say 1 man and 1 woman. Eve was created for Adam. Not Eve, Edna, and Martha. It was just Eve. Later on (the other books come chronologically much later, did you know that?), men took multiple wives, but it was never commanded.
Actually, many biblical scholars think that Deuteronomy and Leviticus were written before Genesis and Exodus. Were you not aware of that? Regardless, as there only was one woman portrayed, in Genesis, Adam, Cain and Able all had to use that woman for procreation.

Quote:
No...they really don't suggest that multiple wives are ideal, nor does it suggest that a "marriage" is made up of 1 man and 3 wives. Please stop reading your own silly ideas into the text.
I see you buy into the 'alternative facts' way of debate. Interesting.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Actually, many biblical scholars think that Deuteronomy and Leviticus were written before Genesis and Exodus. Were you not aware of that? Regardless, as there only was one woman portrayed, in Genesis, Adam, Cain and Able all had to use that woman for procreation.
ACtually, they were all written by Moses. And there were wives for each of the men, so your silly cartoon is irrelevant.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
ACtually, they were all written by Moses. And there were wives for each of the men, so your silly cartoon is irrelevant.
So you know more than Biblical scholars? Your's is the final word? What do you tell the people who think they were all written by God? (Wait. You never correct those Christians. Just as you never correct the Christians who post that having a tattoo or wearing jewelry is going to send people straight to hell. (Good idea on keeping quiet on the tatt thing....considering you've stated you have a tattoo. I can imagine being told you're going to hell by a fellow evangelical would be unpleasant for you.) You DO correct non-evangelicals who say things you don't agree with.)

How on earth did you come to believe your beliefs are correct and all the people who disagree with you (including Biblical scholars) are wrong, wrong, wrong?

Old 02-08-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So you know more than Biblical scholars? Your's is the final word? What do you tell the people who think they were all written by God? (Wait. You never correct those Christians. Just as you never correct the Christians who post that having a tattoo or wearing jewelry is going to send people straight to hell. (Good idea on keeping quiet on the tatt thing....considering you've stated you have a tattoo. I can imagine being told you're going to hell by a fellow evangelical would be unpleasant for you.) You DO correct non-evangelicals who say things you don't agree with.)

How on earth did you come to believe your beliefs are correct and all the people who disagree with you (including Biblical scholars) are wrong, wrong, wrong?
Jesus actually referred to Moses writing them. Did you realize that?

Old 02-08-2017, 02:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Jesus actually referred to Moses writing them. Did you realize that?
There you go again! Correcting a non-evangelical. (And quickly! Impressive.) I'm not the Biblical scholar(s). I suggest you find out who it is that disagrees with you and fire off a strongly worded email to tell them they are wrong, wrong, wrong!

After you get that off your chest you can tell your fellow evangelicals who think God wrote them. Oh, wait. You don't correct them.

Still waiting to find out how you came to believe you are right about all these things and everyone who disagrees with you is wrong. Was that a part of pastor school? Was there a class called "You're Right About Everything We Tell You!"? Was the second semester class called, "Never Disagree With An Evangelical. At Least They Aren't Heathens"?

Old 02-08-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
There you go again! Correcting a non-evangelical. (And quickly! Impressive.) I'm not the Biblical scholar(s). I suggest you find out who it is that disagrees with you and fire off a strongly worded email to tell them they are wrong, wrong, wrong!

After you get that off your chest you can tell your fellow evangelicals who think God wrote them. Oh, wait. You don't correct them.
If you're going to repeat what some hack "scholar" suggested, then I'll correct said hack scholar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality