Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 05:10 PM

504 posts, read 300,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm not sure I saw your answer to the hypothetical question. Did you approve of parents choosing their gay lifestyle over their evangelical kid?

I know you hate the fact that the Bible does say there is such a thing as sin, but there is. I don't know a Christian that has said they can't be forgiven of their sin, but it's interesting that you don't seem to have a problem with telling people to get over their sin if it's not one of the "approved" ones, like homoseuxality.
Define sin. IMHO, there is no such thing, as it implies a transgression against an imaginary entity. There is only right or wrong, right meaning your actions do not hurt you or another human being in some recognized form, and wrong doing all that stuff religions do. Like dehumanizing gays. Like endorsing horrendous practices such as genital mutilation, both male and female. Like excusing harm done by adherents of a religion because it is written in some ancient manuscript.

There is no sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 05:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
As usual, those who espouse religion/holy books exhibit the least amount of empathy, discernment and education.

By their posts, shall ye know them.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:

I know you hate the fact that the Bible does say there is such a thing as sin, but there is. I don't know a Christian that has said they can't be forgiven of their sin, but it's interesting that you don't seem to have a problem with telling people to get over their sin if it's not one of the "approved" ones, like homoseuxality.
Goodness gracious. You really are clueless about what I believe.

Oh well.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-08-2017 at 05:59 PM..

Old 02-08-2017, 05:55 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
Define sin. IMHO, there is no such thing, as it implies a transgression against an imaginary entity. There is only right or wrong, right meaning your actions do not hurt you or another human being in some recognized form, and wrong doing all that stuff religions do. Like dehumanizing gays. Like endorsing horrendous practices such as genital mutilation, both male and female. Like excusing harm done by adherents of a religion because it is written in some ancient manuscript.

There is no sin.
It's defined as doing anything contrary to the will of God. And yes--God does exist, and yes--he has told us what he wants of us. I realize you'll likely deny him till the day you die. We know..you hate the concept of God. We've been over this a million times. It's why you post daily posts to attack the idea.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
As usual, those who espouse religion/holy books exhibit the least amount of empathy, discernment and education.

By their posts, shall ye know them.
And their hypocrisy. They'll happily support a famous man who is on his third wife and brags about cheating.... while proclaiming that same-sex couples in a loving, committed marriage are sinning fornicators headed for hell.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:30 PM

504 posts, read 300,329 times
Quote:
It's defined as doing anything contrary to the will of God. And yes--God does exist, and yes--he has told us what he wants of us. I realize you'll likely deny him till the day you die. We know..you hate the concept of God. We've been over this a million times. It's why you post daily posts to attack the idea.
Haven't posted much at all in the past 2 weeks, so you are mistaken. Just as you are about a god that you worship.

Hate the concept of a god or gods? How can one hate something one doesn't believe in. You don't hate leprechauns do you? Or Thor? right? You just don't believe in them.

But yes, I hate what religion does to people; it splits families, as the OP video shows. It endorses cruelty in the name of a god. It produces zealots who act out on ancient manuscripts of what supposed fantasy entities told them. It causes real harm to people here on this earth; it divides them into 'them' and 'us', and 'us' are always portrayed as being right.

No, I can't hate something I don't believe in, but I sure can hate what those the do believe perpetuate harm on humanity.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:38 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,913,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt
Here is how the bible defines 'traditional marriage'. Which one of these do you think is not valid?
Quote:
Obviously, it's 1 man, 1 woman.
But it could have been 1 man, 1 giraffe had a light bulb moment not occurred to God when He was searching for a 'helper' for Adam among the animals. Eve was merely an afterthought. Actually, it really does appear in the Genesis story that God was making this up as He went. I mean, He obviously hadn't thought it through in advance as well as He might have.

Quote:
The Bible never defines "marriage" as being any of the others. You should learn the difference between "describe" and "define". They are 2 very differnt things.
As already mentioned, the Bible (God) has nothing to do with the 'helper' choices (whether gay or straight) of those involved in present-day marital commitment. We are no longer living in the age of the dawn of man. There is much too much emphasis on what 'the Bible sez' and not nearly as much emphasis on the discernment of intelligent human beings on this particular subject. Give us humans some credit, Vizio.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:05 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,986,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
There's a difference in the genders involved but otherwise it's the same ...a commitment to love and honor one another.

Well, Jesus responded to a question asked of Him about divorce. So, naturally, His response pertained to the male and female partners involved in the question. Jesus didn't volunteer the information and it's highly likely that, had He not been asked about divorce, He would never have broached the subject in the first place. That said, how do you think Jesus would have responded had He been asked about marriage and divorce between a male and multiple female partners? As far as I know, it was still acceptable in Jesus' day for a man to have as many wives as he could afford.

Also, why didn't Jesus who, you say, was so big on 'the rules', leave His father and His mother and seek out a suitable female to marry? The same is true of Paul, you know, the guy who became the 'new and improved Jesus' to many Christians. He was apparently single. Marriage is not and never was mandatory. People can remain single or they can marry. Moreover, adults can marry whomever they choose. NO ONE - and no one includes God - is involved in such decisions!

Reread the previous paragraph. Personal choice regarding marriage - and many other personal decisions - has nothing to do with God. There is no commandment that deals with this particular issue.

And He would probably associate with you too if He were here.

On the contrary ...I believe that Jesus would celebrate the love of two people demonstrated in a commitment of marriage.

That's little more than religious rhetoric . . .simply meaningless words.
Jesus never spoke of gay marriage but he did speak of marriage in Matthew 19:4–6 and Mark 10:6–9 using both Genesis 1:26–27 and Genesis 2:24. He affirms marriage is between a man and a woman. God after all made Man and woman to care for creation together.

Everywhere the Bible refers marriage is between male and female. Not same sex relationships.

Gays knew the truth, even from secular sources that homosexuality is immoral and unnatural. The only way to suppress this inherent knowledge is normalising homosexuality and attacking anyone opposed to it. One of the latest examples is marriage celebrants in New Zealand, where they can't refuse requests to marry same sex couples, even the ones that are opposed to same sex marriage. Row over refusal to wed gays - National - NZ Herald News

The best way to normalise homosexuality by the gay rights lobby is to place same sex marriage on equal footing with traditional marriage. As I stated Romans 1 illustrates this and gays exchange the truth into a lie.

Last edited by other99; 02-09-2017 at 12:45 AM..

Old 02-09-2017, 05:42 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
From the article : "But the Registrar-General of Births, Deaths and Marriages, Jeff Montgomery, said independent marriage celebrants were bound by the Human Rights Act not to discriminate against people on the basis of their sexual orientation.

Labour MP Louisa Wall's marriage equality bill, which legalised same-sex marriages in 2013, exempted celebrants nominated by a church or other approved organisation whose "religious beliefs or philosophical or humanitarian convictions" do not allow same-sex marriage."

If the guy wants to be an independent celebrant then he has to follow the law. If he wants to retain his denominational privilege he needs to talk to his denomination.

What is so hard about that?

Old 02-09-2017, 06:22 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Quote:
Genesis 2.

Again...do you know the difference between description and definition? Or description and prescription?

I'm going to the doctor next week for a checkup. They'll likely record in my chart my height and weight (and note that I could lose a few pounds). If they write my weight down, are they TELLING me to weigh that much? Or are they merely recording a fact?
Here are the relevant verses (from the KJV):
21 And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
22 And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.
So, which verse is it that is "This is what constitutes marriage" "this and no other" Where is it? I don't see a definition of marriage at all. I see a reference to a wife, but that is all.

BTW, since you've got that Master's degree and all, how did Adam leave his father and mother since he had no father and mother, having been made from dust in verse 7?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality