Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 12:02 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times

Advertisements

This was mentioned in another thread by "someone" and I though why not see if there is interest in a BOOK DISCUSSION?

It is written by Tony and Bart Campolo, discussing how each have arrived at their present place in time, believing (or not believing) what they believe.

The preface is written by Tony's wife, Peggy, who (I feel all to briefly)tells the back story of father and son's interaction through preaching and up to Bart's confession of not believing in GOD--but still doing the work with people as he has always done--only now without God being the motivating force.

It was just released today and I had it on my kindle early this morning as I had pre-ordered it several weeks ago..

Anyone else want to read along and share???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 06:10 AM

So how does one stop teaching a belief in God, yet continue "ministering" to the others and fulfilling the words of Christ--

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters,[c] you were doing it to me!’

Bart Campolo continues doing what he has ALWAYS done--CARING FOR THE MARGINALIZED on a daily basis, yet he no longer teaches a spiritual acceptance of Christ as being meaningful or required.

How is it possible to to do such works and not have a daily reminder what Christ has done for us?

Old 02-22-2017, 06:34 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
For years I've been saying he's a fraud. Good to see him admitting it. Sadly, he's only going to continue to try to fleece the sheep. Guys like this are bad for Christianity.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:28 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

How is it possible to to do such works and not have a daily reminder what Christ has done for us?
There are people in the world who recognize that they care about other people and their life is richer for expressing that concern. If God is love and these people believe in love....what's the difference? How is it that they need "to be reconciled to God?"

8“But what do you think? A man had two sons, and he came to the first and said, ‘Son, go work today in the vineyard.’ 29“And he answered, ‘I will not’; but afterward he regretted it and went. 30“The man came to the second and said the same thing; and he answered, ‘I will, sir’; but he did not go. 31“Which of the two did the will of his father?” They said, “The first.” Jesus said to them, “Truly I say to you that the tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the kingdom of God before you.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
For years I've been saying he's a fraud. Good to see him admitting it. Sadly, he's only going to continue to try to fleece the sheep. Guys like this are bad for Christianity.
What "sheep" are being fleeced?

Old 02-22-2017, 07:46 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
What "sheep" are being fleeced?
Anyone gullible enough to believe that the scam artist represents any kind of religious teaching.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Anyone gullible enough to believe that the scam artist represents any kind of religious teaching.
EXCELLENT non-answer!

Old 02-22-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
How does he "fleece?" You are aware of where he lives in Cincinnati right? He has no mansion, drives no Mercedes and pretty sure he shops at Kohls...

Old 02-22-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
There are people in the world who recognize that they care about other people and their life is richer for expressing that concern. If God is love and these people believe in love....what's the difference? How is it that they need "to be reconciled to God?"

8“But what do you think? A man had two sons, and he came to the first and said, ‘Son, go work today in the vineyard.’ 29“And he answered, ‘I will not’; but afterward he regretted it and went. 30“The man came to the second and said the same thing; and he answered, ‘I will, sir’; but he did not go. 31“Which of the two did the will of his father?” They said, “The first.” Jesus said to them, “Truly I say to you that the tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the kingdom of God before you.
I am flabbergasted that soooo many see LOVE as exclusively Christian and incapable of being experienced outside the imitation leather covers of an ancient book.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
But guys like Franklin Graham are good? Oral Roberts? John MacArthur?

Are the only good ones based in FEAR, OPPRESSION and keeping salvation in question?

The bad ones, seem to be the people who PREACH LOVE, JUSTICE and MERCY...

Just for giggles and spits, let's start a list..you share all the people who are bad for Christianity, and I will share all the people who are good for Christianity..I bet out list has at least a 90% overlap...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality